Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696845 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6270 on: August 30, 2011, 03:53:35 am »

Welp.  I spent the drive home from work wandering from one thought to another, as I always do, and somehow wandered back to thinking about the good-for-nothing lawyer I once hired after having been reminded of him earlier.  I thought about how he compares to what I know of resident criminal lawyer Truean, and my experiences with police officers in the past.  And the more I stewed the more I revolved around an idea that's been gnawing at the core of my being for as long as I've had thoughts about society at large.

Why does it not matter what I think?

I suppose it's the most fundamental question in politics, and for that matter the most fundamentally juvenile question a person can ask.  Why not?  Because it just doesn't matter, that's why.  And in the course of immersing myself in politics and law as I have, I could probably come up with a half dozen perfectly good and rational reasons why not.

But I don't want to.  It's the schism in my mind, and has been years.  I hate that it's supposed to be a juvenile question, and I hate myself for asking it.  I hate it took me this long to put it into so few words.  I hate that I can come up with so many good ways to answer it, because I don't want to hear those answers.  I want validation; I want to ask it of someone that it would actually matter to, and I want to watch them sputter helplessly as they fail to think of a good way to respond.  I hate that I'll never get that reaction, (because aside from the obvious counterpoint that if I can answer it someone in a position of authority over me certainly could) the fact that if they were willing to acknowledge it as a valid question, I wouldn't be asking it.  And I hate myself for wanting the validation of an answer in the first place.

I hate that I'm getting tied up in a knot over angry daydreams that I don't want to be thinking about anyway, because I know it won't go anywhere.  And I hate that it won't go anywhere.  Fuck this, I'm playing videogames.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:55:30 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: August 30, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »

I'm lonely, and I can't do anything about it because this degree of studying fucks up my social skills far too much.  My roommates keep asking me if I'm drugged.

I hate the days when I end up feeling like a knot of disabilities and pointless, excessive ability, instead of a real person who can do all the things "all people" are supposed to do or be limited by.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:00 pm »

I feel pretty lonely sometimes too.  Which is weird.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: August 30, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »

I feel pretty lonely sometimes too.  Which is weird.

=/

Yeah, yesterday one of my very few (read: one of 3 or 4) school friends offered me a hug upon seeing me, I had no idea what she was doing, and she had to tell me.  I didn't feel anything at the time because I was too busy with the socializing thing, but now I feel quite ashamed and embarrassed of myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: August 30, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

I feel pretty lonely sometimes too.
Same here.
This is going to be a long month...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »

On Sunday morning, a transformer exploded, leaving the block without power for the day. Surprisingly, it was fixed at around 8:30 that night. Even still, fucking boredom. And even after the power was fixed, the retard neighbor ran his generator all night, and I'm guessing it was positioned near our house, and my room is on that side of the house.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: August 30, 2011, 01:11:30 pm »

Optimus Prime noooo! D:

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »

I will never understand my mother.  I will never understand anyone who takes out their anger on other people.  Know what a normal person does?  They psyche themselves up, pick themselves up, work it out.  She stomps around the house, either yelling or outright telling everyone about her problem. I don't care if her excuse is "women need someone to talk to."  That's not talking, that's a temper tantrum.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »

Sadly, that's a lot more normal than you think. Hell, even I do that from time to time.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: August 30, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »

Sadly, that's a lot more normal than you think. Hell, even I do that from time to time.

I do that constantly, without the stomping and probably with a lot more swearing.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: August 30, 2011, 01:34:50 pm »

Optimus Prime noooo! D:
... Battle Convoy as I like to call him

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: August 30, 2011, 03:36:13 pm »

If one more person today says to me, "How can it be broken? It was working fine yesterday!" I swear by all that is holy and unholy that I am going to track them down and eviscerate them like a fish, then hang their entrails on my cube wall as a warning to others.

Yes, it was working yesterday. Today it is not working. THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF BROKEN. It used to work, now it doesn't. If it NEVER worked, it wouldn't be broken, it would be defective.

It was sunny yesterday, and today it is raining.
My car worked one day, then the next one it wouldn't start.
My grandfather went to sleep one evening, and he didn't wake up the next day.
Does that shit blow your mind?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »

That exact same thing happened to my last gerbil.

And just the evening I returned from vacation too :/

But I guess what they're trying to say is that they're baffled at how fast it happened. Usually when something breaks you notice something days before.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »

Clearly, entropy is fiction.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

That exact same thing happened to my last gerbil.

And just the evening I returned from vacation too :/

But I guess what they're trying to say is that they're baffled at how fast it happened. Usually when something breaks you notice something days before.

I get that to a certain extent, but just like cars and people, sometimes the part that breaks is instadeath with no leading symptoms. Boot sector gets fucked? You're not going to see warning signs. In fact, technology is probably more prone to the sort of "it either works or it doesn't" categorization than mechanical things. But there are enough non-technical analogs in the world that I would expect people to grasp this. It's like the earthquake the other day. You (hopefully) didn't have a bunch of people standing around going, "How could there be an earthquake? The ground was fine this morning!"

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 3345