Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694539 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Tea is not weak, it is delicate. It can be served with milk, so it's not necessarily thin and bland is the last thing I'd call any of the good teas in my kitchen.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Coffee is stronger than tea" isn't a reason to not drink tea unless you'd have to give up one for the other, which you wouldn't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Early on my textbooks were really expensive. As in, I expected to buy 6 or 7 textbooks a year, with them being around 150€ on average, some cheaper, and some more expensive.

Then I wised up and realized in the end I seldom needed to check those textbooks for class purposes, and when I did check them out it was mostly because of idle curiosity, or to find out stuff people asked me. Then I started to restrict the books I did buy heavily.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

"Coffee is stronger than tea" isn't a reason to not drink tea unless you'd have to give up one for the other, which you wouldn't.

Well, arguably, since on any given occasion where the choice is relevant, you're choosing not to drink the other, you actually do. As a general condition, there's no reason you have to give up one for the other, but if you prefer coffee to tea in all situations, then the aggregate of all your individual choices adds up to it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, arguably, since on any given occasion where the choice is relevant, you're choosing not to drink the other, you actually do. As a general condition, there's no reason you have to give up one for the other, but if you prefer coffee to tea in all situations, then the aggregate of all your individual choices adds up to it.

That's not a realistic situation unless you literally never drink anything but coffee. If you drink coffee but also drink other things, you can drink tea instead of some of the other things, or in addition to them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

That's not a realistic situation unless you literally never drink anything but coffee. If you drink coffee but also drink other things, you can drink tea instead of some of the other things, or in addition to them.

Well, I'm assuming somebody who has a choice between coffee and tea at any given time when they'd have the opportunity to drink either. It doesn't make sense to consider the merits of coffee vs tea when there's no choice between the two available, so it's safe to assume that's not the conversation I'm weighing in on. Likewise, I'm assuming that no common beverage other than coffee or tea is an acceptable choice for the situation (let's assume they're looking for a hot, caffeinated, bitter beverage), because it similarly doesn't make sense to consider the merits of only coffee and tea if there are other choices available; we'd have to expand the argument to all possible beverage choices, which seems a bit excessive for what amounts to a silly back-and-forth over beverage preference.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

My parents are making it awkward to watch Battlestar Galactica...

Its rating is TV-PG.
They aren't showing anything explicit.
So why the fuck are you telling me to "Shut my eyes" whenever something that might be mildly explicit comes up?
Seriously, I'm not a fucking little kid anymore, geez.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Heh, my Mother still tries to attack my ears with q-tips.  I generally tell her that I can take care of myself and I'm going to college and all that.  Getting a new place will be nice.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better than having your mom try to get you to watch dumb R-rated movies like American Pie but not letting you watch 300... Why would I want to see dumb nudity when I could see a cool action movie and possibly get an urge to research it?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better than having your mom try to get you to watch dumb R-rated movies like American Pie but not letting you watch 300... Why would I want to see dumb nudity when I could see a cool action movie and possibly get an urge to research it?

Possibly because that movie tells a lot of lies about a lot of people that can be difficult to decode for the inexperienced.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Possibly because that movie tells a lot of lies about a lot of people that can be difficult to decode for the inexperienced.
She doesn't even know what it's about... all she knows is that it has "explicit content," which she heard from a coworker. I don't really care about seeing it anyways, it was just an example because said coworker told her about this a week ago and she thought that I had seen it.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Because it's incredibly awkward for everyone involved in such a family structure. They need to do something to break the awkward silence.

Be glad it's not them making out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Essay time!

The man is pretty fucking smart.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Oooh, interesting essay. I'm about halfway through it now, and I've got a couple issues with it, but I don't wanna type anything up till I finish (who knows, maybe they get addressed later?). Should I do that here, or d'you think it'd be too much of a derail?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh, interesting essay. I'm about halfway through it now, and I've got a couple issues with it, but I don't wanna type anything up till I finish (who knows, maybe they get addressed later?). Should I do that here, or d'you think it'd be too much of a derail?

Put it in the progressive rage thread?

Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3345