Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699235 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't even know why I have this reputation.  Other people argue on my angle as well.  G-Flex, Leafsnail, etc.

What is it?  The swearing?  The persistence?  The blathering?  The weird and inappropriate personal anecdotes?  I don't even know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Probably the persistence.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Vector pretty much has the right attitude, even if I personally find it a bit bullying/enforcing at times, and I totally agree with most of her points a large amount of the time, I just don't believe in censoring people for jokes unless they're made to hurt, and all I did was express my disagreement.

It is probably best to leave it at that now though, and let the derail sink.

Edit: It's the fact that most people notice you way more, for whatever reason, compared to the others. If you look through these forums notice the amount of feedback you get everytime you write something compared to everyone else.

Edit2: For below post Janet, just remember that it's just how I experience her, from the other side of the planet from a very different place and upringing. I don't claim that she actually is, just that I experience her as such sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:33:29 pm by Lysabild »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

It's probably just because you've gotten somewhat of a cult of personality on this board. Whereas G-Flex and Leafsnail don't and don't present their points as well thought out as you tend to do. Out of everyone on this forum i'd say if you really did represent something here Vector, it would be you maintain your composure when other users bother you so much better than most everyone else which lets you describe things so much better and clearer.

Oh and your avatars are delicious. Maybe that helps too.

Edit: I wouldn't call vector bullying though. Especially not compared to say, G-Flex. Who often has the right idea but can't help but seem to make his posts sometimes look like personal attacks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:30:50 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Here's the thing Vector: This may just be on me, but more than once I've written up a post in response to something in the Progressive Rage thread and then just deleted it under the rationale of "she'll just call me a misogynist again". I, at least, feel intimidated to the point of self-censorship by how strongly you fight against anything you see as misogyny. Just my honest thoughts on the matter, which probably aren't all that meaningful to the issue, but there you go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

You express very strong convictions, with what appears at first to be a very black & white mentality.  It took me a while to realize how receptive to disagreement you actually are.  You're also very knowledgeable and understand perspective framing* enough to make you unassailable to the average person who isn't as well-prepared or skilled at debate.

* This can make your criticisms of other people's positions seem especially damning.  It takes a thick skin to withstand that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:36:23 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

It's probably just because you've gotten somewhat of a cult of personality on this board. Whereas G-Flex and Leafsnail don't and don't present their points as well thought out as you tend to do. Out of everyone on this forum i'd say if you really did represent something here Vector, it would be you maintain your composure when other users bother you so much better than most everyone else which lets you describe things so much better and clearer.

Oh and your avatars are delicious. Maybe that helps too.

Edit: I wouldn't call vector bullying though. Especially not compared to say, G-Flex. Who often has the right idea but can't help but seem to make his posts sometimes look like personal attacks.

Also Vector posts... A lot.  11000 posts.  I have a little under 4000 in 4 years, and I don't consider myself to be inactive.  I figure folks feel more comfortable responding to people who they see everywhere than some random person who they never saw before.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Also Vector posts... A lot.  11000 posts.  I have a little under 4000 in 4 years, and I don't consider myself to be inactive.  I figure folks feel more comfortable responding to people who they see everywhere than some random person who they never saw before.
Keep in mind that Mafia makes up 4200 of those posts, which is unsurprising given how much posting Forum Games require to work and Vector's place in the Bay 12 Mafia (4% of the Mafia board according to the forum's statistics, which is quite significant for a single user in a community of our size).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I thank all of you.

I guess I'll just say that I'm working on not overreacting as much as I used to, so if you disagree, then please, feel free to disagree.

I'll just note here that I was especially angry about the previous situation because I'm tired of dealing with people suggesting that I should be raped as a woman, or me specifically.  That was not an instance where I was thinking clearly.

What really puts a bee in my bonnet is the (semi-frequent) statements that if it were a guy we were talking about, or something like that, I wouldn't say anything.  Or that I think women are flawless and better.  I really don't, folks.  What I really care about is creating the freedom for people to see each other as they are.

I spend a lot of time thinking about genocide and abortion, for example, or potentially correct statements seen as sexism, or the difficult line between social growth and an inelegant reality.  I don't know about any of those answers.  I don't know how to fix the problems or find out what's "right," and that's one of the reasons why I set up my thread, and one of the reasons why I respect dissenters so much (provided that they have an original argument, heh).  Because I know very well that I just ... don't know.

So... please don't take my early days with too much weight.  I definitely went overboard.  Please look at me as I am now, and I'll keep on trying to do the right thing.  And in a while, I'll have a different idea of what the right thing is, and I'll do my best to do that.  But it'll be easier if you bring out your ideas so that we can think about them, and I'll try to think through them, too, without getting overly upset.  The progressive rage thread is for discussion, not propaganda.  And usually, at this point, when I feel myself boiling over I just don't post and hope that calmer minds will prevail.  I think things have changed at least a little.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Really good post, now, let us not derail this further, move to Vector's thread of Progress if you wish to continue :)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Well. I guess this thread was a decent enough place for this given this is more... Introspective rage? I'm not sure really. I guess I just wanted an opportunity to type "Introspective Rage".
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I'd suggest that Introspective RAGE be the new subtitle thing, but it might sound weird once the actual rage returns.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the thing Vector: This may just be on me, but more than once I've written up a post in response to something in the Progressive Rage thread and then just deleted it under the rationale of "she'll just call me a misogynist again". I, at least, feel intimidated to the point of self-censorship by how strongly you fight against anything you see as misogyny. Just my honest thoughts on the matter, which probably aren't all that meaningful to the issue, but there you go.

This, except less fear of God-Vector and more caution. I treat posts from Vector, Duke, Janet, G-Flex, and Aqizzar with extra levels of thought because they are good orators(correct word?) and could tear apart my argument if it was half-assed and stupid. 
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I'm liking this RAEG thread, it's being very mellow and cool.  Hugs and kisses all.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I'm also liking the mellowed thread.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 3345