Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690195 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #4575 on: June 29, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »

Don't see what's so hard about it myself... So long as you have the most rudimentary of ideas of how it works, you can pretty much use http://www.w3schools.com/ to BS your way through the rest.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: June 29, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »

Some time yesterday my iTunes account was accessed and someone downloaded two $15 movies, the King's Speech and Unknown. They also downloaded something free. I don't know where they got the money to do so was from, though, as there isn't a credit card linked with the account, all the money came from iTunes cards. I now have $32.60 in my iTunes budget. BLARGH.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: June 29, 2011, 05:32:47 pm »

Someone at work had found a large series of audio CDs for what were labeled as "Old Testament studies" or something like that, where some guy tries to explain how each and every detail of our lives is done wrong according to the Bible based on his interpretation(which, according to him, is absolutely correct). The entire first CD has him "proving" that every facet of scientific proof about the age of Earth and the universe is wrong based on flawed concepts, while "proving" himself correct using his own flawed concepts. Here is my favorite example:

According evolutionists, humans have been around for 1-2 million years, possibly more. He said that at the reproduction rate of humans, there'd be many, many billions of people(I missed the number, but I think it was three digits of billions), and since there are only 4 billion people, the number of humans is more accurate to around the time of Noah's Ark(around 3500BC), which means evolutionists are wrong, and stupid. First, there are more than six billion people in the world, probably closer to seven(the copyright date is 2005, so it's not even because of old information), and second, the human reproduction rate has been going up pretty fast in the last couple of centuries, along with a similar decline in infant mortality. Not only that, but war, food limitation, disease, basically the whole Four Horsemen have been keeping populations down pretty well, up until modern times where we have reduced them(NOT eliminated, mind you) as factors in reducing population. Not to mention that the species homo sapiens(us) has only been around for I think around 20,000 years, although other species within the homo are considered human(after all, that's what "homo" means).

Funnily enough, the first CD ends cutting him off mid-sentence. Either way, I really don't want to argue about it. I'm still trying to figure out whether the aneurysm was caused by what I was listening to, or a mysterious, hand-shaped blunt impace to my face.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: June 29, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »

If I'm remembering correctly, the amount of time humans have been around is about 200,000 years. The current population is 6.9 billion, and will probably reach 7 billion before the end of the year. The estimate of how many humans have ever lived is about 150 billion, but for obvious reasons we can't ever be completely sure of that number.

Also, other species within the homo genus aren't exactly humans. They're close, but still different species. Not that it really matters all that much today, as we killed everyone else in our genus.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:44:37 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »

or a mysterious, hand-shaped blunt impace to my face.

Well, you know, God DOES work in mysterious ways.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »

If I'm remembering correctly, the amount of time humans have been around is about 200,000 years. The current population is 6.9 billion, and will probably reach 7 billion before the end of the year. The estimate of how many humans have ever lived is about 150 billion, but for obvious reasons we can't ever be completely sure of that number.

Also, other species within the homo genus aren't exactly humans. They're close, but still different species. Not that it really matters all that much today, as we killed everyone else in our genus.

They were human, just different species of human. Heck, neanderthals may have even been a subspecies (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) of modern humans.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:25:46 pm by Vorthon »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47:08 am »

They were human, just different species of human. Heck, neanderthals may have even been a subspecies (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) of modern humans.

And it seems there were discoveries of hybrids our ancestors and Neanderthals. And since different species can interbreed if they haven't split off too long ago down the evolutionary line, it comes to support the idea that they can be considered as "human".

Not that it really matters all that much today, as we killed everyone else in our genus.

Point. It seems that one of the reasons we've made it whereas other hominids got wiped out was our remarkable degree of aggression, inter-tribal or otherwise. We pretty much ran on "If it's more trouble than it's worth, kill it.", something that we've only started weeding out fairly recently.

Thing is, the kinds of self-proclaimed researchers Akura was talking about tend to crop up fairly often because evolutionary theory is based on a lot of guesswork (albeit mathematically-driven guesswork) and little palpable evidence. Never mind the fact that the actual likelihood of finding a few identifiable bones is low, and one is far more likely to win the lottery than find a near-complete skeleton of something.
Also, without genetic data (not much DNA to get out of a lump of mineral shaped like a bone), taxonomy is very shaky as well. For instance, the Red Panda's place was widely disputed until DNA mapping managed to show where it belongs, and that's a living critter you can poke and prod.

What these people constantly choose to disregard is that this is as much biology as it is history. They expect all the skeletons to be neatly lined up, with the minor differences clearly visible. But, in reality, the further back you go in history, the more you have have to use shaky conjectures.

Truth of the matter is, we've been using evolution since our earliest days. It's what artificial selection is based on. Look at corn, sunflower, cattle and so on. Even antibiotic-resistant pathogens cropping up more and more often is a result of (unintended) artificial selection, simply because they're the ones left alive, hence pass on the resistance genes.

So, if you want proof of evolutionary theory, go ask an epidemiologist.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: June 30, 2011, 03:52:08 am »

And it seems there were discoveries of hybrids our ancestors and Neanderthals. And since different species can interbreed if they haven't split off too long ago down the evolutionary line, it comes to support the idea that they can be considered as "human".

Actually, another viable theory that we are descendants of Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon hybrids. Not sure myself, of course, but this theory has become a lot more popular recently, I think.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: June 30, 2011, 04:10:39 am »

I delved into the Neanderthal thing, and the only discernable difference was diet - Neanderthal > 99% carnivorous and Cro-Magnon 50/50 omnivore. I'm putting money on the fact that this was a major factor in what happened to the Neanderthals.

Similarly-sized omnivore will out-breed a carnivore when they hunt the same prey. Also, forests were declining at this period, and Neanderthal hunting methods were primarily suited to forests, while Cro-Magnons were suited to open plains.

Also Carnivores exists in a cyclic relationship with the prey levels, while Omnivores deplete prey, then stick around consuming plant matter. Their presence has a permanent dampening effect on the prey levels, which would have driven down the Neanderthal numbers.

Cross-breeding if possible would have been the final nail in the coffin (as much more Cro-Magnon would have gone into the mix)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:15:16 am by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: June 30, 2011, 04:13:48 am »

As it was told to me, the Neanderthal brain would have had more empathy, but less intelligence and agression. We got the opposite. Guess which proved more useful to survival?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:24 am »

All the stuff about different brains is pure speculative. And seems to be "we smart. them dumb" logic.

I've heard 1000 variants and they all fail at logic. I'll just add your one to the list. Literally they write a new "neanderthals dumb" theory every year or two because the old ones prove to be ridiculous. With diet, we have evidence of actual vast difference, and models which can explain the extinction (population modelling, predator/prey models etc) based on the difference.

major psychological difference: No Evidence. And no models to show how it made us survive, and them not. After all many "retarded" species survive better than smart species.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:22:58 am by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:02 am »

I'll just add your one to the list.
As it was told to me, the Neanderthal brain would have had more empathy, but less intelligence and agression. We got the opposite. Guess which proved more useful to survival?
No Gods, No Masters.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:34 am »

No MRI of a working brain? No dice.

As I've pointed out, a lot of our evolutionary history is just guesswork. No point in discussing which stab in the dark we like better right now.
But there is sufficient evidence to support the idea of evolution as opposed to divine creation (which would mean no hominids showing up in the fossil records, then bam! Homo sapiens all over the place).

major psychological difference: No Evidence. And no models to show how it made us survive, and them not. After all many "retarded" species survive better than smart species.

One possible source of psychological evidence is actually the fossil record. If I remember right, some places had Neanderthal bones, then switch to Sapiens bones, meaning that the Neanderthals were pushed out. But again, that's just speculation.
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:43 am »

I'll just add your one to the list.
Not so much targeting you as the theory itself! Every year or two someone tells me a new theory of Neanderthals inferior brains, which came from some researcher somewhere. Each one of these theories is mutually exclusive, and the one you're telling me isn't the craziest one Ive heard. Here are the two best ones I've been told:

1. Neanderthals lacked "Lateral Thinking" and therefore bacame extinct. Evidence: Neanderthal tools were not made of the same stuff as Cro-Magnon tools. I think it is more to do with the environment and food sources available than "lateral thinking".

2. Neanderthals lacked "Conscious Thought" - this theory actual proposed than Neanderthals were born knowing how to make stone axes and spears, while Cro-Magnons had to be "taught" these things, therefore Cro-Magnons were able to transcend the "Genetic" technology of Neanderthals with "Conscious" tenchology.

Note most theories of Neanderthals "inferior thinking" are based on differences in technology, which is the same basis as 19th Century scientists who held that Australian Aboriginals and Africans were less evolved mentally, which was evidenced from "inferior" technology. We don't accept the argument from technology about black people today, so we can't accept technology-based arguments of Neanderthals being mentally inferior either.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:25:34 am by Reelyanoob »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: June 30, 2011, 04:39:55 am »

TBH, at one point I've actually heard that it was the Neanderthals who had more efficient tools and toolmaking techniques because they were sedentary and had time on their hands, which they used to improve tools, as opposed to the semi-nomadic Sapiens who allocated a large chunk of their time to walking around.

So, more guesswork.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 3345