Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689968 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #4590 on: June 30, 2011, 04:42:20 am »

Both Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon tools have been found to evolve/develop over time. At first, it was thought "crude" tools were only Neanderthal and "advanced" tools were only Cro-Magnon. But in more recent decades it's shown that both races had crude and advanced sites, meaning both were developing better tools. This was then passed off as Neanderthals "mimicking" (i.e like a monkey) their superior Cro-Magnon neighbours, but like you said Neanderthals sometimes exceed the quality of Cro-Magnon tools.

Remember, Neanderthal = Carnivore, so they were locked into a cyclic predator/prey relationship with the land. Cro-Magnons were not so constrained. And this had nothing to do with smarts or technology, instead it's biology and life-style.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:45:34 am by Reelyanoob »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:50 am »

Because we all know that all Cro-Magnon have "Summon +2 Flint Spear" as a racial trait.

The theory I mentioned suggested that the Cro-Magnon nicked the toolmaking techniques from the Neanderthals as they came into contact, but that's possibly been disproven from when I heard it.

Edit: Also, I'm not all that sure about the Neanderthal = Carnivore bit, seeing as primates are pretty much happily omnivorous, and changing a digestive system into another specialization is about as easy as changing forelegs into wings. A good guess, though, is the size of the digestive tract, with carnivore < omnivore < herbivore as size. But, again, since that bit rots first I doubt there's certain evidence of which was which.
Dentition is actually less relevant. For instance, bears' jaws have "carnivore" written onto them, but the damn things will actually graze if need be.

Second edit:
* Something Evil looks up at the last couple of posts.*
Wow... Derail much.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:56:36 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 30, 2011, 04:52:21 am »

Because we all know that all Cro-Magnon have "Summon +2 Flint Spear" as a racial trait.
Heh, that's a Neanderthal Genetic Trait according to the "Genetic Intelligence" theory I mentioned. This was a REAL theory BTW, not a joke.

The theory I mentioned suggested that the Cro-Magnon nicked the toolmaking techniques from the Neanderthals as they came into contact, but that's possibly been disproven from when I heard it.
I'm sure that happened both ways, cultural exchange and all. Personally I think Cro-Magnon was like "eat everything not nailed down" as the secret of success. We eat snails and shit (literally in japan with the poo burgers), and every weed, even dirt. Neanderthals were just too picky, but that's not something an entire species can change overnight.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 30, 2011, 05:08:08 am »

I think I heard that there are traces of neanderthal DNA in some people, so it's possible there was also inter-breeding, or something.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:46 am »

Yeah. My understanding is that neanderthals were the source of the dwarf myths.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 30, 2011, 05:21:55 am »

I think I heard that there are traces of neanderthal DNA in some people, so it's possible there was also inter-breeding, or something.

Well, it's all a matter of

1. Whether a cro-magnon could have relations with neanderthals or vice versa. If cro-magnon and neanderthals had no objections to pairing with one another, it's highly more probable that they produced offspring. Of course, this is not mandatory - tribal clashes could result in fertilization by rape, for example.
2. Whether a child born out of such union would be fit and healthy. This could partially be mitigated by AWESOME luck.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 30, 2011, 07:20:27 am »

Yeah, I remember reading about interbreeding as well. According to the article, "Neanderthal" genes has been tracked everywhere outside of Africa (and possibly south-eastern Asia, I can't remember clearly), so some people really got around. Of course, that might be due to later migrations of modern humans as well...

It's clear to see that the half-Neanderthal offspring, like half-Orcs, would be far superior to both it's parent species, though. +5 Intelligence and Summon +2 Flint Spear? We have a winner.
Love, scriver~

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »

Truth of the matter is, we've been using evolution since our earliest days. It's what artificial selection is based on. Look at corn, sunflower, cattle and so on. Even antibiotic-resistant pathogens cropping up more and more often is a result of (unintended) artificial selection, simply because they're the ones left alive, hence pass on the resistance genes.

Natural and artificial selection are merely a part of evolutionary theory, and so, on their own, they are not really proof of evolution.

My statement should not be taken as an argument against evolutionary theory; I am merely pointing out the flaw in this particular argument for evolution.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »

Well, this s a pretty huge derail, but this is Bay12 after all. We can derail pretty much anything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 30, 2011, 12:51:39 pm »

This thread is eternal, so, in time, the thread shall drift back to the topic.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 30, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »

Read interesting text.
Decide to take a short nap to take it in.
Get woken up 3-4 hours later.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

Yay! I helped derail a thread! :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 30, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »

More raeg, less self-satisfaction at carrying on the derail. If the derail gets someone like me angry enough, we end up at a raeg singularity, and then God help the kittens.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 30, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »

Quote from: Youtube.com
Your browser is no longer supported.
Please upgrade to a modern browser.

One of the supported browsers is IE8.

I use IE8.

Fuuuuuuuck youuuuu.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 30, 2011, 07:05:39 pm »

Youtube is being fascist again I see.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 3345