Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705319 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3195 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:52 pm »

Yeah, I do that, too =/  I'll often have to sit there rewriting and rewriting.  My guess has always been that it's a mild hand-me-down of my mom's severe dyslexia.  I also get lost because I can't distinguish right and left in symmetrical rooms... it drives me crazy.

On the other hand, it might mean that he, like I, will have major advantages when it comes to distinguishing symmetries later in life.  So... I wish him luck >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »

Yeah.  Same when someone says 22/7 is pi, rather than an approximation for pi, or when someone says 1 + 1 = 1 in Z2, or anything like that.  It drives me completely bonkers.
Here's what drives me bonkers. The Calc I kids in the other Calculus class at my high school learned a new trick that they've been trying to show to every living being on the planet.

You see, you start out with a circle with a diameter of 1, boxed in by a square. The square thus has a perimeter of 4. If you take the corners in, the diameter is still 4. If you repeat that fractally and infinitely, eventually the polygon's shape will conform almost exactly to the circumference of the circle. The circumference of the circle is equal to pi, and thus pi is equal to 4, as the outer polygon still has a perimeter of 4.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:27 pm »

...What?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: April 28, 2011, 11:31:47 pm »

this is how AF and AAA works in gaming, funny enough i actually understand that and im still considered at college Algebra level >_>

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:27 pm »

Yeah, I remember that.  IIRC, the issue is that bounds it from above, but there's no lower bound.  Bah... can't totally remember why.  But it's something like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:43 pm »

...What?
Basically you can have a infinite amount of Vectors wrapping around the circle and the perimeter of the outer polygon will always be 4.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: April 28, 2011, 11:41:30 pm »

...What?
Basically you can have a infinite amount of Vectors wrapping around the circle and the perimeter of the outer polygon will always be 4.
Theres more than one Swordsmathmatician? :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: April 28, 2011, 11:42:35 pm »

Yes, Vector can copy herself so many times yet can keep math sane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:59 pm »

I saw the Troll Science version of that. I thought the problem was that it didn't actually approach a circle, just an infinitely jagged polygon, or something. Then again, I am fail at calculus these days.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:00 pm »

I saw the Troll Science version of that. I thought the problem was that it didn't actually approach a circle, just an infinitely jagged polygon, or something. Then again, I am fail at calculus these days.

Well, yes, this is also true.  But fundamentally, you'd bound from below with the inscribed polygon and get pi = 2 = 4 (or something like that--I didn't actually go to draw it), which we all know doesn't work.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: April 29, 2011, 12:12:37 am »

The first thing I thought when I saw Troll Science was Lol = Lawls2 for some reason...

That dosen't make me rage, it's just weird...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: April 29, 2011, 12:23:07 am »

Well, yes, this is also true.  But fundamentally, you'd bound from below with the inscribed polygon and get pi = 2 = 4 (or something like that--I didn't actually go to draw it), which we all know doesn't work.

But, you can get the same thing with a slip of paper and a can of beans.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:19 am »

... What

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: April 29, 2011, 12:27:49 am »

You can get 3<pi<4 with a slip of paper and a can of beans.

It's the funnest way to teach little kids about pi, and then have a snack afterwards.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 3345