Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703439 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2955 on: April 20, 2011, 10:46:36 am »

And as for conservapedia, they made the site because of the liberal bias, but if they were actually conservatives they would expect more and think that the average conservative could separate between what is true and what has been skewed.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:54:23 am by Urist is dead tome »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:11 am »

And it was shown in both links I posted that women make less because of child rearing, not sexism. Plus we factor in the fact that most women favor jobs with safety and benefits.

Read the essay Orientalism by Said, and then we should talk again.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 20, 2011, 11:09:38 am »

I was banned for 5 years.  :D

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:33 am »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:57 am »

Scriver, you're putting the cart before the horse, here, you haven't even read the links, that's the same thing that killed my arguments back in the women and infantry thread.
No. Some things are just to proven through years and years worth of studies. If you had claimed that ethnic minorities was not actually being discriminated against on the work market, I wouldn't have needed to look at them to know it was bullshit.

And it was shown in both links I posted that women make less because of child rearing, not sexism. Plus we factor in the fact that most women favor jobs with safety and benefits.
No, they did not. The video in the first link is just somebody putting forth their views without any actual facts presented to support it. Furthermore, even when relevant circumstances is taken into consideration, statistics still show that men earn more than women. There was one Swedish study from 2009, for example, that showed that even after weighing factors like education, age, occupation, etc, women still had smaller wage than men. The gap was smaller than otherwise, yes, but the point is that they are still payed less than men.And this was the fourth most "equal" country in the world at the time, so yeah, other countries will have even worse numbers.

As for them having different jobs and thus different pay, that is considered in most studies. The comparison is between people with the same jobs and circumstances, not between a 50 year old male doctor and a just-out-of-college female librarian. The issue of trades that are considered traditionally "female" work has on average smaller wage than "male" jobs is a different topic.

First of all, men are payed more than women.
This, as it doesn't even allow leeway for the many many times it is otherwise. Aggravates me.
No. Not "many". Occasional "times it is otherwise". And it's a generalised statement, of course it's not going to cover every independent instance. That doesn't change that as a rule, women will earn less than men with the same job and of the same credentials. Sure, it's not as bad as it was just 20 years ago, but there's still a difference. Downplaying it or making excuses for it is just detrimental to the cause of achieving gender equality. Not to mention that the "oh, it's not so bad" argument has been a stock phrase for misogynists since, well, the dawn of feminism.
Love, scriver~

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:05 am »

Wall o' text.

The first link was a guy talking about the conclusion of his studies.

And what about the second link?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2961 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:20 am »

First of all, men are payed more than women.
This, as it doesn't even allow leeway for the many many times it is otherwise. Aggravates me.
No. Not "many". Occasional "times it is otherwise". And it's a generalised statement, of course it's not going to cover every independent instance. That doesn't change that as a rule, women will earn less than men with the same job and of the same credentials. Sure, it's not as bad as it was just 20 years ago, but there's still a difference. Downplaying it or making excuses for it is just detrimental to the cause of achieving gender equality. Not to mention that the "oh, it's not so bad" argument has been a stock phrase for misogynists since, well, the dawn of feminism.
Rule? By who?
Sure there is still sexism flying about around today and it's bad and all, but how is it that of gender is still a basis of what can be considered a majority?
What examples are you using here anyway?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:54 am »

Quote from: M-W Dictionary
Definition of RULE:
...2. a (1) : a usually valid generalization (2) : a generally prevailing quality, state, or mode <fair weather was the rule yesterday — New York Times>

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 20, 2011, 11:59:15 am »

Rule? By who?

Quote from: M-W Dictionary
Definition of RULE:
...2. a (1) : a usually valid generalization (2) : a generally prevailing quality, state, or mode <fair weather was the rule yesterday — New York Times>

Zing!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:19 pm »

Wall o' text.

Yes, it was, but it puts forth no studies or results for us to look at. It's just a guy talking about his studies. I'm not going to trust him more than the actual statistics I have seen on the subject.

And the other link, well, that kinda was what the rest of the post was about.

Rule? By who?
Sure there is still sexism flying about around today and it's bad and all, but how is it that of gender is still a basis of what can be considered a majority?
"As a rule" as in the phrase "in general". You know, when you look a the whole picture and not just the dots.
I'm not sure what you mean by that bolded sentence. Could you clarify?
And the examples are based on what media reports as well as the study mentioned above, researched by the Swedish National Mediation Office.
Love, scriver~

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: April 20, 2011, 12:32:28 pm »

Wall o' text.

Yes, it was, but it puts forth no studies or results for us to look at. It's just a guy talking about his studies. I'm not going to trust him more than the actual statistics I have seen on the subject.

And the other link, well, that kinda was what the rest of the post was about.

Rule? By who?
"As a rule" as in the phrase "in general". You know, when you look a the whole picture and not just the dots.
I'm not sure what you mean by that bolded sentence. Could you clarify?
And the examples are based on what media reports as well as the study mentioned above, researched by the Swedish National Mediation Office.

First off, I have learned to never trust a Swede, second, I am going to withdraw from this argument because you're just holding your hands over your ears and shouting "No, no, no, no, no,!".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: April 20, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »

First off, I have learned to never trust a Swede, second, I am going to withdraw from this argument because you're just holding your hands over your ears and shouting "No, no, no, no, no,!".

If you're trying to learn how to get along with people, stop attacking their nationalities when they say things you don't like hearing.

Like the truth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: April 20, 2011, 12:40:48 pm »

"Where's your evidence?"
"Here."
"Well... you're Swedish!  I can't trust you!  And I'm right whether or not the evidence says I am.  You're just in denial."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: April 20, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »

Yes. By attempting to explain my opinion and providing statistics to back it up, I am covering my ear and shouting "No, no, no, no, no!".
I completely agree that Swedes are untrustworthy, though. Sometimes they sneak onto your plate while you're eating and tries to pass their dirty, smelly bulbs off as real food.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 3345