Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703505 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2790 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »

I dunno.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  It feels sometimes like no one really wants to change, and that change won't happen unless it's forced to.

I realize that I'm not in a position or state of education to give you proper advice, but I'll tell you what for: people don't change people. People change themselves.

I think many people are presently dissatisfied, be it with the way things are handled by members, certain forum phenomena that have taken root, and so on. It seems to me that having one central place for us to share our dissatisfactions and discuss potential ways to address them would be a timely form of self-moderation for us right now.

Also, yes, people can only change themselves. However, people often change themselves in response to new insight into how what they do affects or is received by others. Thus, in a way, we are all responsible for informing others of their own behaviors, so they can better their interactions with us.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:28 pm »

Yeah, you're right, sorry - there's gotta be an effect there, too. A person put in a box with no outside contact is probably not going to miraculously decide they need to be a better person. However, it's still gotta be the person that changes themselves.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:39:23 pm by freeformschooler »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: April 18, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »

Meh.  I have a big stick, and I'm getting better about the speaking softly part.

But sometimes you just really want to hit things.

I realize that I'm not in a position or state of education to give you proper advice, but I'll tell you what for: people don't change people. People change themselves. Trust me, I've learned; there's a specific subset of people like you who are inclined to accept others' opinions, but for most people, arguing only makes them think more highly of their own opinion. It's crazy.

Education and position have nuthin' to do with it.  Thanks for your advice.

I know that most people aren't interested, but some are... and even those who weren't interested have seemed to change, at least a little.  I think I feel, personally, that there's a specific subset of people who just aren't going to accept your opinion, but most people are at least somewhat reasonable.

But then, that's just me.  I really should try to remember that those people exist, though, so thanks for the reminder =)

In what respect?  Ultra scumhunter master?  Anti-maths physicist?  Popular user who argues we need more sexism in Life Advice threads?

Hmm... Wuba.  Most of Berkeley physics.  FLAMING DOUCHEBAG ON A STICK.

Nah, I think I need someone in real life who I can tell, in all earnestness, to go fuck themselves.  We'll hate each other and get in shouting arguments.  It will be wonderful.  I really miss those sorts of relationships.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

I dunno.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  It feels sometimes like no one really wants to change, and that change won't happen unless it's forced to.

I realize that I'm not in a position or state of education to give you proper advice, but I'll tell you what for: people don't change people. People change themselves.

I think many people are presently dissatisfied, be it with the way things are handled by members, certain forum phenomena that have taken root, and so on. It seems to me that having one central place for us to share our dissatisfactions and discuss potential ways to address them would be a timely form of self-moderation for us right now.

Also, yes, people can only change themselves. However, people often change themselves in response to new insight into how what they do affects or is received by others. Thus, in a way, we are all responsible for informing others of their own behaviors, so they can better their interactions with us.
Soli, have you ever considered a career in Psychology? You have the right observations over people and not much of a backstabber.

Nah, I think I need someone in real life who I can tell, in all earnestness, to go fuck themselves.  We'll hate each other and get in shouting arguments.  It will be wonderful.  I really miss those sorts of relationships.
Have i told you already thats unhealthy for you?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »

No, you haven't, but I was a happier person when I didn't feel like a declawed pair of tits in a dress.

*sigh*

This is why folks used to say I'm the most singularly aggressive person they've ever met.  I need something or someone to conquer, or I'm not really happy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

No, you haven't, but I was a happier person when I didn't feel like a declawed pair of tits in a dress.

*sigh*

This is why folks used to say I'm the most singularly aggressive person they've ever met.  I need something or someone to conquer, or I'm not really happy.
Sounds fun, i really want to meet you now to determine whether im going to be friends or strangled then friends.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »

Clearly you need to go on a trolling spree.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2797 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »

I need something or someone to conquer, or I'm not really happy.

I can relate to this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: April 18, 2011, 07:48:16 pm »

I dunno, a perfect rival of the kind seen in, say, Pokemon games could be just as awesome as the perfect partner.  You'd always have something to aim at and motivation to do it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: April 18, 2011, 07:49:14 pm »

I dunno, a perfect rival of the kind seen in, say, Pokemon games could be just as awesome as the perfect partner.  You'd always have something to aim at and motivation to do it.
You're gonna compare real life with pokemon? >_>

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2800 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:05 pm »

You're gonna compare real life with pokemon? >_>
If you've played the game, you know his example and it's not a weird thing to compare to as the same sort of rivals exist in real life. I've had one, sorta.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »

Exactly.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »

Exactly.
So rival thats also a friend?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »

Exactly.

A rival whose positive impact on you is comparable to that of a great partner/friend.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »

No, a rival you hate more than anyone else but have some actual ability to compete with.

A rival whose positive impact on you is comparable to that of a great partner/friend.

Okay, yeah, this.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 3345