Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703443 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2775 on: April 18, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

It shouldn't be forgotten, Darvi, because it raises a lot of important points.
I have a feeling that it'll all be deleted, though.

I've archived most every major post from the discussion. I intend to start a new Forum Metathread once I sort out the issues, and can establish rules for the discussion that will keep things constructive, and from needing to be locked. A lot of people are upset about several things, and it seems as though much is being left unsaid. Worse, people who silence themselves are motioning to leave the community... and I would really like to avoid losing my ties to a ton of creative, sane, and reasonable folks whom I care about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »

I've archived most every major post from the discussion. I intend to start a new Forum Metathread once I sort out the issues, and can establish rules for the discussion that will keep things constructive, and from needing to be locked. A lot of people are upset about several things, and it seems as though much is being left unsaid. Worse, people who silence themselves are motioning to leave the community... and I would really like to avoid losing my ties to a ton of creative, sane, and reasonable folks whom I care about.

Bah, some part of my just wants to say "augh, not again" and give up on all of it.

But you can probably expect me to drop in at some point or another.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2777 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:43 pm »

Yergh.

Terrible, terrible fanfic which gives me characterization ideas but still somehow brings badness to the source material in general.

*sigh*

Well, almost done flipping through these archives, and after that I'll go do something else, I guess.

EDIT: OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY THE FUCKING FUCK.

RUUUUUGH.

Rage aside, I'm am NEVER EVER EVER reading or writing anything with a straightforward romantic plot.  NEVER NEVER.

The one thing that fanfiction has taught me is that that is just bloody boring.  BlECH.

Straight-forward how? When I think about writing theres only so much one can do before it just becomes excuses to make something more complicated than it is.

To the happy thread!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »

Straight-forward how? When I think about writing theres only so much one can do before it just becomes excuses to make something more complicated than it is.

If the only tension in the story is "when are they going to screw already," I don't want to have anything to do with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: April 18, 2011, 07:12:44 pm »

Well I promise that if people take this seriously, and don't get into a troll war, I'll be good and will not just use the chaos to my own amusement, like I did for the sad thread.

I can be good, why do none of you believe me?  :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: April 18, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »

God, I'm getting sick of this place.

Bluh.  I need some kind of new and ridiculous hobby.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: April 18, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

It's a shame that people are leaving like this. It really is.

What I'm also sad, and frustrated about, I guess, is what goes on here.

It's not that these discussions keep becoming flamewars; it's just that once they become calm and reasonable, they lose steam. Go check the State of the Forums thread if you want, see how that ended up.

I don't find these discussions very unwelcome. Unfortunately, they don't seem to lead anywhere. This time, it seems people just up and left in the middle of it, some for good, which I think is a terrible way to try and fix things. I think there are things wrong with this place, but I don't leave for it. I try to live up to my ideals, and occasionally voice my opinion on it when the hour comes to me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2782 on: April 18, 2011, 07:19:57 pm »

If the only tension in the story is "when are they going to screw already," I don't want to have anything to do with it.
'right ^^

Well I promise that if people take this seriously, and don't get into a troll war, I'll be good and will not just use the chaos to my own amusement, like I did for the sad thread.

Your trolling is as harmless as a deaf, blind, clawless kitty. You're just cute and function more like a court jester dancing and joking between the serious business.

Also, playing with all this layout stuff had me panicking as I accidently activated gothic XD 𐌳𐌰𐌼𐌽 𐌹 𐍃𐌰𐍅, 𐍄𐌷𐌰𐍄 𐌹𐍃 𐌾𐌿𐍃𐍄 𐌽𐍉𐍄 𐍈𐌴𐍂𐍅 𐍆𐌹𐍄𐍄𐌹𐌽𐌲 𐌽𐍉𐍅 𐌹𐍃 𐌹𐍄?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: April 18, 2011, 07:20:30 pm »

Because actions say far more about someone than their stated intentions.

Anyway, it'll be a bit before I make the thread; I want to get Toady's take on things first, and whether he feels that the discussion is not one worth having. Speaking of which, if anyone has ideas for things they'd like to see broached in said hypothetical discussion, please drop me a PM. There are a lot of angles to it, and I want to keep the things focused and concise.

EDIT: I'm pretty bummed that everyone is motioning to leave... and I don't think it's healthy for the community as a whole, or for individuals as social beings, to repress stuff like this. This whole thing is a tangled mess, and I think people need to air feelings out. If that means that they feel they've gotten what they can out of the community, then so be it... but I would miss many of you and your contributions sorely if you left.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »

I feel like I argue constantly and it does nothing.  I've been shouting and shouting, and there was the entire gay thread where people were going "no, I never make gay jokes around gay people"... and then boom, I keep seeing the same people makin' 'em.

I dunno.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  It feels sometimes like no one really wants to change, and that change won't happen unless it's forced to.

The angrier and angrier I get, the more and more I feel like I need somewhere to actually express that anger, where I can swear and be upset without it just being empty motions.  I can't get really angry here because of the moderation, and I can't get angry at people elsewhere because what I really want is it for it to just be over.  It occasionally feels like what I express here is just a hollow attempt to get what I want, through whatever means necessary.

Also, I need a rival.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »

Anyway, it'll be a bit before I make the thread; I want to get Toady's take on things first, and whether he feels that the discussion is not one worth having. Speaking of which, if anyone has ideas for things they'd like to see broached in said hypothetical discussion, please drop me a PM. There are a lot of angles to it, and I want to keep the things focused and concise.

EDIT: I'm pretty bummed that everyone is motioning to leave... and I don't think it's healthy for the community as a whole, or for individuals as social beings, to repress stuff like this. This whole thing is a tangled mess, and I think people need to air feelings out. If that means that they feel they've gotten what they can out of the community, then so be it... but I would miss many of you and your contributions sorely if you left.

I was good once. Some people even said I was wise on the atheist redux thread. Could me imagine, me, wise? Well wisdom and intelligence is oh so nice, but I don't go online to talk about the state of the world, and politics, and political correctness. I go online to enjoy myself a little and goof off. I found what makes me happy, and it is encapsulated in a ball of goop that takes the shape of popular japanese icons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: April 18, 2011, 07:27:33 pm »

I feel like I argue constantly and it does nothing.  I've been shouting and shouting, and there was the entire gay thread where people were going "no, I never make gay jokes around gay people"... and then boom, I keep seeing the same people makin' 'em.

I dunno.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  It feels sometimes like no one really wants to change, and that change won't happen unless it's forced to.

The angrier and angrier I get, the more and more I feel like I need somewhere to actually express that anger, where I can swear and be upset without it just being empty motions.  I can't get really angry here because of the moderation, and I can't get angry at people elsewhere because what I really want is it for it to just be over.  It occasionally feels like what I express here is just a hollow attempt to get what I want, through whatever means necessary.

Also, I need a rival.
As Theodore Roosevelt said
Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »

I was good once. Some people even said I was wise on the atheist redux thread. Could me imagine, me, wise? Well wisdom and intelligence is oh so nice, but I don't go online to talk about the state of the world, and politics, and political correctness. I go online to enjoy myself a little and goof off. I found what makes me happy, and it is encapsulated in a ball of goop that takes the shape of popular japanese icons.

If that's the case you should post FAR less and stick with something like IMs or IRC. The one thing everyone can agree on on either side of that mess was that people just posting "For the luls" isn't really well. Tolerable.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

I realize that I'm not in a position or state of education to give you proper advice, but I'll tell you what for: people don't change people. People change themselves. Trust me, I've learned; there's a specific subset of people like you who are inclined to accept others' opinions, but for most people, arguing only makes them think more highly of their own opinion. It's crazy.

I have a lot of respect for you, Vector, and you better not leave. People are going to be jerks or disagreeable in the same closet you choose to hole yourself up in, but if what you get out of the community overwhelms what you dislike about it, sometimes it's better to keep going with what you were already doing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:32:55 pm by freeformschooler »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: April 18, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »

Also, I need a rival.
In what respect?  Ultra scumhunter master?  Anti-maths physicist?  Popular user who argues we need more sexism in Life Advice threads?
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 3345