Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697213 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2445 on: April 14, 2011, 02:54:13 pm »

I've never heard that, but I'm not a writer.  It sounds to me like new writers often overuse adverbs, so the advice should probably be read as "use adverbs wisely, not with every single verb", not "nevar use teh adverb!"
Yeah, it should be read like that, and in fact a lot of the time it's explicitly stated as such. But you hear "no adverbs" often enough that it's bothersome. New writers aren't likely to have a firm grasp on what an adverb is or what acceptable and strong uses of them are. And rarely do the articles get into good use of adverbs. It's almost always just a condemnation which isn't really helpful.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: April 14, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »

The word 'then' is used by new writers too much.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: April 14, 2011, 03:23:34 pm »

I made a cake, and used baking soda instead of baking powder on accident. FFFFFFUUUU-oh wait it still tastes delicious nevermind
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2448 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »

If I had to pick the biggest problem word for new writers it would be "that." I'd say that half the time that the word occurs it contributes nothing to the sentence that it's in and that it only pads sentence length. Works really well for keeping meter in poetry though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: April 14, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK?!
My headset is only playing sound in one ear. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHGHGGGGG!!! >:(
In the middle of watching a video, too.
It's on the verge of breaking. This ALWAYS happens to me after 3 months of headphoning.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT HEADPHONE COMPANIES! CAN'T YOU MAKE A GOOD PRODUCT FOR A CHANGE!?
I had this thing for only 2 months. >:(
I went through 2 sets of headphones in 4 weeks a little while ago. Good quality ones, too.
Went through 4 or so meh quality ones in about a week at one point. Damn things always went out in the right ear, too.

Aside from the pair I'm using(dead in the right side, go figure), the only thing I've got is a USB headset I normally use for my PS2(SOCOM and Lifeline, bandwidth might kill itself if I try to talk online). And it's only got one speaker, for the left ear.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: April 14, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »

If I say to NOT PUSH BUTTONS, I MEAN DON'T PUSH BUTTONS. Not Fling every f-ing desktop icon somewhere i can't find and completly ignore me!!!!

ARGH.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: April 15, 2011, 12:57:17 am »

I don't know what my mom's doing (actually, I do /:-l), but why is It always the goddamn motherfucking Internet adapter in the office that breaks?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: April 15, 2011, 02:30:31 am »

god damnit, i was going to post a "wish me luck tomorrow" but people didn't follow rules. Shit do we need a ad to pop up everytime on this site explaining all the rules?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: April 15, 2011, 02:50:49 am »

Yes, there are alot of rules, aren't there.

Rules gone previously unread made me bitter today.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:02:44 am by Heliman »

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: April 15, 2011, 04:25:52 am »

If I had to pick the biggest problem word for new writers it would be "that." I'd say that half the time that the word occurs it contributes nothing to the sentence that it's in and that it only pads sentence length. Works really well for keeping meter in poetry though.

lolol there's like 900 thats in your post. Even more funny if you did it intentionally..
Yeah yeah yeah!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: April 15, 2011, 04:47:49 am »

This weird lump thing on my toe is fucking KILLING me. It's also occasionly leaking pus.

I'm RAAGING because antibiotics didn't do shit to it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: April 15, 2011, 04:48:52 am »

You should get that looked at..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: April 15, 2011, 04:48:52 am »

This weird lump thing on my toe is fucking KILLING me. It's also occasionly leaking pus.

I'm RAAGING because antibiotics didn't do shit to it.

Try fungicides; could be tinea.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:48 am »

I've had it for over half a year now. It constantly gets infected and I've had it checked out multiple times.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: April 15, 2011, 05:02:20 am »

I've had it for over half a year now. It constantly gets infected and I've had it checked out multiple times.

Ingronw nail, perhaps? I have a similar problem, and have to go about once every other month to get my toenails trimmed. Or I end up not being able to put my shoes on.
Hooray for huge feet...
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3345