Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3027 3028 [3029] 3030 3031 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692121 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #45420 on: October 28, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

Nenjin~ Listen to your wallet~ It's telling you to quit~

You mean listen to people trying to tell me what to do with my body, under the totally hypocritical justification that my habit should be singled out among fast cars, guns, booze and wellness-obliterating work-life balance?

Fuck 'em.
To be fair, I think that if people could get away with fast cars and guns and booze the same way you can with smoking, they probably would.
In some parts of the 'States it's probably easier.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Take a deep breath Edition
« Reply #45421 on: October 28, 2014, 01:12:58 pm »

Tell that to his wife and her family. Might want to make sure the councilor knows it too.
Eyeeaahh.
mastahcheese knows this. :-\
And he was very happy during the counseling session.

Just as a reminder to him: moods pop up sometimes--they show, in most cases, residual or still-present behaviors and attitudes. Forgive 'em of that. Counseling is a repeated process. You can't fix problems just like *snap*.

Nor are problems of the nature of attitude made just like *snap*, to note. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45422 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:51 pm »

I know it's not instant, but...

One of the things the councilor said was that "keep the arguements within the therapy", which means to try not to argue too much about things in the sessions, and to instead take notes on things, so they can be brought up next session, in a better environment than at home.

I think this is a wonderful idea, that makes plenty of sense.

I am apparantly the only one who thinks this, and when I try to say "can we talk about this later, and not now", I'm simply trying to avoid the arguement.

I'm planning to go to the library after work.
The therapist explained that I'm a very introverted person, who sometimes needs alone time, and that it's nothing against anyone, it's solely to do with me.
But that apparantly means nothing, because she doesn't like that, and is insisting on coming with me, which kinda defeats the whole damn purpose of "alone time".

There's others, but I'm in a hurry:
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45423 on: October 28, 2014, 02:01:42 pm »

I really shouldn't be fighting the urge to quit my job 5 seconds after walking in the door, but today...

First thing my boss tells me is a claim that she did my job(which takes 1-1.5 hours) in 30 minutes, then demands I do it in five, along with claiming bullshit that I spend most of that time standing around doing nothing.

What IS your job? Not bashing you, just wondering.

Also, with all the work BS, you could just quit, theres nothing keeping you from quitting (other than maybe tough job market) and you don't have to put her as a contact or anything.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45424 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

I would think cashier for the sounds of it (mentioning POS) but then he does something that takes around 1 and half hour? Perhaps cash out? Dunno... anyway I would burn the place with the witch inside, or at least torch her car, again with her inside... but that's not for everyone... heheheh :P

In reality you have yourself a real case of work harassment. I would tell you at this point simply pick any competent  lawyer and sue back. The reason they are treating you like this (from what you have let us know) is that you already threatened to sue (assuming that's what you mean by legal action). Now fulfill the threat and add the harassment you have suffered. I'll a sure you this girl will have to tone down the attitude after a visit from a lawyer unless she just want to make your paycheck bigger.

Take a much evidence (audio records, videos, papers, other people as witness) as possible in order to make a case.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45425 on: October 28, 2014, 04:07:26 pm »

You want to know why America is in decline? Exhibit A, the death of the aristocracy and the rise of Western nouveaux riches...

Ah yes, because my grandfather growing up eating weeds out of the ditch--in the United States--and my mother growing up without electricity and running water, and me growing up cold and unfed... ah yes, THOSE were the good days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45426 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:59 pm »

You want to know why America is in decline? Exhibit A, the death of the aristocracy and the rise of Western nouveaux riches...

Ah yes, because my grandfather growing up eating weeds out of the ditch--in the United States--and my mother growing up without electricity and running water, and me growing up cold and unfed... ah yes, THOSE were the good days.
I'm with Vector here. Poverty doesn't help anyone, and having an aristocratic caste kind of demands a large amount of poverty. Growing up on government aid kept me alive, but the feeling of "the government will probably screw up our lives this month, too, and there's nothing we can do about it," doesn't help matters. We still have too much aristocracy.

I can only hope that I live long enough to see the beginning of post scarcity and the real cultural reform that comes with it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45427 on: October 28, 2014, 04:35:45 pm »

Nah, all societies have upper classes. That doesn't necessarily imply mass oppression, and it's arguably the right and natural order of things. Nor is it incompatible with a universal welfare state.

The problem is when you have a bad upper class that indulges in ostentation (Bay Area tech money, Texas oil barons) instead of philanthropy and education (Boston Brahmins). The shift of America's ruling elites from the latter to the former was simultaneous with the beginning of American decline, and this isn't a coincidence.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45428 on: October 28, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »

I'm on FJ's side here, but arguably because I was born and raised in the upper or at least upper-middle-aspiring-to-become-upper class (in Europe, mind you - the rest of the post will be tailored to American discourse). I'd use a slightly argument, however:
In every society classes will emerge; that's just how people work. Evaluating the merits and drawbacks of various societies then comes down to determining the relations between classes: Is there any amount of cohesion? Are the other classes respected? What are the economic relations between the classes? And, most importantly: How is political power distributed?
Aristocracy usually means the rule of the nobles, but it comes from the Ancient Greek term for the rule of the best. In any society in which the upper class calls itself the aristocracy, they have to somehow live up to the claim of indeed being the best. Coupled with the idea of meritocracy, which is arguably one of the fundamental pillars of American identity, this can lead to some desirable results. And it is certainly preferable to an upper class that is utterly decoupled from the rest of society, which appears to be the direction America is moving in right now.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45429 on: October 28, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »

One day, I will find the man or woman who invented raking and shove a rake through their eye. I'm damn near positive they chose it ONLY because torture was already taken.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #45430 on: October 28, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »

What are you raking? If it's leaves, you should use a lawnmower. Seriously. Lawnmowers are great at getting up autumn leaves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #45431 on: October 28, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »

One day, I will find the man or woman who invented raking and shove a rake through their eye. I'm damn near positive they chose it ONLY because torture was already taken.
Resisting.... urge... To make puns...
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45432 on: October 28, 2014, 05:08:07 pm »

I'm on FJ's side here, but arguably because I was born and raised in the upper or at least upper-middle-aspiring-to-become-upper class (in Europe, mind you - the rest of the post will be tailored to American discourse). I'd use a slightly argument, however:
In every society classes will emerge; that's just how people work. Evaluating the merits and drawbacks of various societies then comes down to determining the relations between classes: Is there any amount of cohesion? Are the other classes respected? What are the economic relations between the classes? And, most importantly: How is political power distributed?
Aristocracy usually means the rule of the nobles, but it comes from the Ancient Greek term for the rule of the best. In any society in which the upper class calls itself the aristocracy, they have to somehow live up to the claim of indeed being the best. Coupled with the idea of meritocracy, which is arguably one of the fundamental pillars of American identity, this can lead to some desirable results. And it is certainly preferable to an upper class that is utterly decoupled from the rest of society, which appears to be the direction America is moving in right now.

Exactly.

I think one of the more foolish assumptions that goes unchallenged in modern America is that democracy and meritocracy are synonyms. This is far from the truth; a true meritocracy probably wouldn't look very democratic at all, but it's perfect meritocracy that human societies should work towards, not perfect democracy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45433 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

To be fair, meritocracy has a double meaning:
1) More useful/accomplished people getting better stuff (common usage)
2) More useful/accomplished people having more political power (literal meaning)

Not many would agree that 2) is desirable unless accomplishment was determined in a fairly democratic process - and then you just get parliamentary democracy again.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45434 on: October 28, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »

What are you raking? If it's leaves, you should use a lawnmower. Seriously. Lawnmowers are great at getting up autumn leaves.
This. I suggest this every time, and am told no.

We tried it once. It cut the time it normally took IN HALF! But noooooo. Can't mulch the leaves. Can't be fucking intelligent. Can't let me have more than a few hours before I need to sleep.

No, that'd be too sensible.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 3027 3028 [3029] 3030 3031 ... 3345