Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705966 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

interacting with

This is the important part for me.  I think it's an incredibly significant difference.  The majority of people I know who aren't gamers are potatos.  They go to work/school and then spend the rest of their time vegetating in front of a tv.  I think there's a core element of humanity that atrophies from being so passive.

...Did you just say tv-watchers are "passive" and "potatoes" compared to gamers, of all people? That's just hilariously ironic. Surely you realise this has everything to do with what you are watching and nothing to do with the medium. Would you really say that watching tv-documentaries about the state of the world is more "passive" and atrophying then when you start up your 137th game of Cataclysm?

Pah. "Interactivity". I'll just leave you with the comment that literature is the least form of interactive media, yet the one that'll atrophise you the least.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I think what he was trying to say is that you're much more mentally engaged when the medium challenges you to actively participate (like using imagination to visualise the book you're reading, or trying to solve a problem in game) instead of just absorbing information passively.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I love getting treated like a bitch by people that we already fall over ourselves to help. Putting in over 15 hours a day for this guy, and he fucking screams at the start of the next day because OH NOES MY INTERNET DIDN'T WORK FOR 10 MINUTES.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I think what he was trying to say is that you're much more mentally engaged when the medium challenges you to actively participate (like using imagination to visualise the book you're reading, or trying to solve a problem in game) instead of just absorbing information passively.
This is likely it. There's always some component of thought in a game, even if it is highly repetitive (though there's a point where the player being nothing more than the controller of which thing is clicked in what order approaches the level of passivity inherently connected to television. This is, I think, one of the reasons why we as a community and gamers more broadly favor games which either mimic a book or pen&paper RPG (DF, Aurora, various other sim/strategy/RP/roguelike games) in terms of allowing players to fill in the gaps with their imagination and build stories, or games which pit them against other players or overwhelming odds in situations which both encourage and require very fast tactical and strategic planning and execution.

Of course literature (small-l) is still often better when it comes to fueling imagination, but that doesn't mean that other media can't encourage thought. I can see where SG was coming from when I consider that of the people I know, they are almost all divisible either into the category of "gamers", "non-gamers who watch TV and play Call of Duty in between drinking binges", or "workers who spend their leisure time watching TV". The only reason I can't count the number of people I know who read for pleasure on my fingers is because of my family full of Arch-Liberal artistic types.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=0oSzLS0j9fY ( Ignore the no mobile, I'm on an IPad)
This made me rage so damn much.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=0oSzLS0j9fY ( Ignore the no mobile, I'm on an IPad)
I have no words. I have no fucking words. It's people like this that stunt progress by tarring everyone else by association.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a biology/geology teacher I had few years back.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a biology/geology teacher I had few years back.
You had a teacher like that?
You poor, poor child.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Wow. I have no other words.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Can she be that stupid?

I mean really?

Come on, nobody can be that much of a brick, can they?

Seriously?
AS - IG

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can she be that stupid?

I mean really?

Come on, nobody can be that much of a brick, can they?

Seriously?
I think your avatar perfectly sums up a lot of people's reactions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

The number of times people have told me that, oh man, definitely gonna keep it :D
AS - IG

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

I would be more on board with this rage if every damn comment below that video wasn't attacking her because of her weight and her sex. Thanks world that we all have to live in.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I don't get why he didn't just turn off the engine.
Love, scriver~

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get why he didn't just turn off the engine.
Because that would validate her bullshit?
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 3345