Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1526 1527 [1528] 1529 1530 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705970 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

In an attempt to end the rage at each other, I'll put whet I've learned from my time in the world: being different is good! But being too different is bad. So is being too similar, but being too different is worse. Making people different from each other is bad, but making them the same is also bad. It's best to be not too similar and not too different compared to everyone. However, if people sense you trying to be similar, they get mad and make you different. Thus the best option is to just not give a shit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I hate when you're eavesdropping on a conversation and the person without anything interesting to say starts going on about something.

Wait, what.

You know, like when you're walking past a room and you hear two people talking and one of them is telling a cool story. So you look busy outside to eavesdrop, but then the other person starts telling some boring story. It ruins my free entertainment.
Person 1- "This one time at band cam-" Person 2- "oooooooh I HATED band camp.  All we did was band stuff, and it was sooooooooooooo boring."
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

The only option here is to punch them so hard that they cease to have ever existed.
I was about to ask if you could actually pull that off, but then I realized that it isn't possible to test your ontocoptical capabilities, since you wouldn't be able to demonstrate any successfully expunched person. But it would be boring to assume that you couldn't do that, so from now on I'll just imagine you as a guy with an invisible pink belt in exist-fu.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Just reading through some of the shit on there made me want to take some of these people and have them actually go to a real place; rather than the horribly misrepresentative reality they seem to have created for themselves.
Well, I also want to punch them, but then they'd feel justified in their beliefs.
Dude, they're lost forever. They short-circuited their logic ("What you say conflicts with my world view. Conclusion: The FBI hired you to lie to me"), and can't ever be saved from that, no matter what you tell them. Just be glad they've found a place to spend time with each other rather than spend it bothering racially tolerant people.
The only option here is to punch them so hard that they cease to have ever existed.

There are times when punch jokes are funny, and there are times when they are not. When actual fascists are brought up is one of those times it definitely is not funny, seeming as that is what they actually believe. Metaphorically speaking.
Love, scriver~

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

Some cruddy verizon commercial for the latest-newest-must-have-technologically-advanced-phone or overpriced service or whatever uses the recording of Jimi Hendrix playing Star Spangled Banner on guitar.

As a person who is strongly against consumerism, commercials, and advertising tactics such as planned obsolescence, (which seems to be everything phone companies stand for), as well as a huge fan of mutha-effin Jimi Hendrix, this commercial gives me rage so bad I think I got cancer. Jimi will now have songs people will associate with "that one commercial". The horror.

I don't even know how verizon got the permission to use the track, as far as I know Hendrix is not public domain and I personally wouldn't know who the heck they'd buy out to get permission for that.

Also, verizon commercials in general are playing almost non-stop on TV, good grief. Constant bombardment is a good strategy for sci-fi warfare, but not commercials, stahp it verizon.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I don't know why anybody would use his version of Star-Spangled Banner for advertising. It's really haunting. Though I might only feel that way because it was used in Spec Ops: The Line.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, verizon commercials in general are playing almost non-stop on TV, good grief. Constant bombardment is a good strategy for sci-fi warfare, but not commercials, stahp it verizon.

I haven't had cable TV for most of my adult life. I really haven't missed it.

It's weird to go somewhere with a TV playing, and see commercials again. When you're not being inundated by them all the time, you sort of stop being desensitized to them, and the grating way they constantly beg you for patronage.

These days, commercials (and to some extent TV in general) just comes across as sad and annoying.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

I don't even know how verizon got the permission to use the track, as far as I know Hendrix is not public domain and I personally wouldn't know who the heck they'd buy out to get permission for that.
It looks like Sony's music branch has the licencing rights for the music.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Actually, I've got a question. If all of his works were public domain, would you feel any differently about this commercial?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

It's weird to go somewhere with a TV playing, and see commercials again. When you're not being inundated by them all the time, you sort of stop being desensitized to them, and the grating way they constantly beg you for patronage.

These days, commercials (and to some extent TV in general) just comes across as sad and annoying.
Sad, annoying, and sometimes outright enraging, f'me. Also rapidly headache inducing a lot of times. Freaking noise boxes. Music's not so bad for ambient sound (though just atmospheric stuff, birds, etc., is usually fine for me), but TVs are like really fucking annoying people that won't goddamn shut up going on and on and on twenty-four frakdamn seven. Not to mention all that freaking psyche bullshit commercials pull to draw attention.

I think I've turned on a TV at my own behest maybe... four times? In the last seven or eight years. Maybe longer. Of those times the only time it stayed on more than a few minutes were a couple watchings when Toonami came back.

And yeah, hearing really good music being used to sell crap kinda' pisses me off, too. I give it a little bit of leeway when there's some sort of artistic merit or aesthetically pleasing aspect to the commercial otherwise, or when it's music created for the thing, but... it's usually not. I still can't really forget "Beef, it's what's for dinner" because of the inclusion of Copland's Hoedown. S'kinda' sad that there's probably this large chunk of the American population that only knows that as the beef song :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:17:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

Pretty much, yeah. I wouldn't watch it, yet my parents tend to have it on most weekday evenings. We don't even have cable, the local channels are still just as bad with commercials.

I don't know why anybody would use his version of Star-Spangled Banner for advertising. It's really haunting.

To be fair, they only use the starting bars(?) (or is that stanzas?) of the song, because that's probably the most recognizable for the average American common denominator. Then it just sounds like star spangled banner being played on electric guitar, so the product must be cool because there's an electric guitar.

Honestly I don't see the appeal of using it at all for a phone commercial, unless they were going for a combination of "electric guitar=cool" logic and "national anthem=national american pride in country=independence day celebratory attitude=buy stuff on holidays" logic. It's nowhere near July 4 yet, there's still another two months, so it seems companies are jumping the holiday guns...again.

Actually, I've got a question. If all of his works were public domain, would you feel any differently about this commercial?

The fear that a piece by Jimi Hendrix could be associated solely with a commercial, or worse, assumed that it was written solely for the purpose of advertising phones is what pisses me off. Basically what Frumple said about the beef song.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Sort of like if the California Board of Tourism used California Über Alles in an advertisement. It's just wrong, for so many reasons, even if they cut out almost the entire song.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'll jump on the "TV pisses me off" bandwagon.  Been on it for at least 10 years, actually.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't watch it, yet my parents tend to have it on most weekday evenings. We don't even have cable, the local channels are still just as bad with commercials.

But... local commercials are the only redeeming quality of local television!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oYYdF0zcuSI&feature=endscreen

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Personally I'm on the "I don't watch TV" bandwagon, and have been for seven or eight years. It's all just very sad. I know that comes off as sort of hypocritical from someone who spends so much time online, but at least this way I have some form of quality control for the material I spend my time observing and interacting with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1526 1527 [1528] 1529 1530 ... 3345