Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698121 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects

So yeah, I bought rome tw gold and withcer 2 from direct2drive some time ago, and the whole system seems to have crashed down and burned and I cant access those games anymore. Nice. Pretty scary thinking this could happen to steam, I've wasted a lot more money on that.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

So yeah, I bought rome tw gold and withcer 2 from direct2drive some time ago, and the whole system seems to have crashed down and burned and I cant access those games anymore. Nice. Pretty scary thinking this could happen to steam, I've wasted a lot more money on that.

Valve have specifically stated that if Steam goes under, they'll cut the DRM and let people play whatever games they owned.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

I only have about a quarter of my Steam library downloaded at any one time.
*Hugs*

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

There'd have to be some kind of warning; at the very least, they'd need enough notice to update every game to a cracked version of itself.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I only have about a quarter of my Steam library downloaded at any one time.

Same here. Space restrictions.

As I recall, Steam said they would rip Steamworks and all people to download their games so they can burn them to media.

So yeah, I bought rome tw gold and withcer 2 from direct2drive some time ago, and the whole system seems to have crashed down and burned and I cant access those games anymore.

I remember trying to activate my copy of Civ 4 through D2D. After 30 minutes of being passed between the same 3 or 4 activation screens, I finally came to conclusion that it was mostly a scam. I guess they finally couldn't keep the charade up anymore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

Does anyone have certain words or phrases that just piss them off? I've got a few.

Irregardless. Yes people use it, and no it doesn't make any sense. Please find a word that clearly states whatever you are trying to get across, because this one does not. Regardless, or irrespective work just fine on their own. No need to lump 'em together.

Over-exaggerate. If you're over-exaggerating you're exaggerating. There doesn't need to be a distinction between exaggeration and exaggeration, because they are both exaggeration. Now I'm starting to question my spelling because there are too many damn g's

Utilize. Funny one to include on this list, seeing as how it's a perfectly good word, right? The problem is that there is already a perfectly good word that is much shorter in both spelling and syllable number. USE. Simplicity is the key to writing, you don't want to have your readers doing extra work, so don't make them do extra work just to make yourself sound smarter. Everyone, EVERYONE falls prey to this damn word. But I can assure you there is not one use for utilize where it wouldn't suffice to say use.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

"Utilize" is a much closer synonym to "take advantage of" than "use," I think.

A villain utilizing their stolen assets sounds so much cooler than them plain using them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

A girl does not say "he utilized me." I do have to admit it sounds correct when speaking of finances, however that's more likely than not because businesses rely on sounding smart as one of their biggest selling points. Use is still more than sufficient. Maaaybe not for the evil villain case, but you could always introduce a negative connotation in other ways.

Also, the letter C. It should, without an H, make the ch sound. It has no purpose otherwise, only coping from K and S
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'll have a bowl of rise and some sake now.

:P
*Hugs*

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

Does anyone have certain words or phrases that just piss them off? I've got a few.
Yes. I am the grand high master of being pissed off by things other people say.

Do. Yes, do has common, valid uses, but one does not need to use it so much as my kin do. They do the laundry. They do the dishes. They do the chickens—yes, I tell them how that last one sounds. Do do do do. Wash and clean and feed have the same number of syllables as do does, so it would cost little to be specific.

By definition. Some things are true by defintion—if one is talking about linguistics or something, but people use it in places where it does not belong. It implies that, if the definitions change, the truth would change, so, if that is not the case, it is being misused.

Honey. This word seems to have become a generic term for “spouse”. It is dull and trite. One’s spouse has a name—use it.

OK. The worst part is, I use this one myself. Most of the time I think to say “Understood,” or “Acknowledged,” but OK comes out sometimes.

Excessive punctuation. This one is neither a word or phrase, but I do not understand why anyone thinks to use more than one question mark or exclamation point. More question marks do not make the sentence more interrogative, and more exclamation points do not make the sentence more exclamatory. I call it The Law of the Conservation of Exclamation.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

What about the ?! punctuation...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

What about the ?! punctuation...
I do not use it myself, but I can understand that one. English makes no provisions for exclamatory questions, and the interrobang is not part of the ASCII encoding.

Ninja’d.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Utilize.

The way I see it, English is as loved as it is because you have a ton of synonyms. Most style guides I've glanced at recommend the use of synonyms over repeating the same word over and over.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 3345