Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697783 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've said it once, I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more, my boss is an egotistic assclown. He was explaining that, at our outreaches, we get signatures from people ostensibly only to do a headcount(which we then inflate the numbers, each signature is counted as 3 people). Only, five minutes before that in the same meeting, he was going on about how he created a computer program to coordinate with other, non-Christian charity organizations, so that the same person doesn't go around to each to get more food. While this is enough of a What the Hell, Man? moment in of itself, the reason he gave for scrapping the project was because the other organizations wanted to use it to keep people from getting anything from us, thus denying them my boss' religious dogma.

Oh, and today, the town has this big community cleanup event. Previously, or so I'm told, our organization has participated in this cleanup. Only this year, my boss has instead set up what a rest stop, so that people can get refreshments and Jesus. So, basically, we're letting everyone else do all the legwork, while we get whatever credit from helping while doing practically nothing.

playing cIV, aztecs declare war on me. I send an army to reclaim a city they took, get a great general, send him over to that army, only to have one of the aztec's armies move 6 tiles in my borders without the commando promotion to kill him.

seriously game, what the hell? I was having fun, up until your guys suddenly discovered portable warp gates or something.
I think the Civ games and their clones cheat rampantly in general. At least, in FreeCiv, I still remember a time when I had over 100% technology progress(that is, MORE than enough research to get a tech per turn) for many turns, and the AI was still advancing more quickly than I was. And still outputting craptons of troops that there's no way in hell it could afford.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I believe that, in most such games, you only improve the AI's tactical skill by increasing through the very lowest levels of difficulty. Eventually, usually around Medium, they just start giving cheats to the AI.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Of course, on whatever the 'normal' difficulty is, you usually don't have much of a problem building up a tech advantage and wiping the floor with the AI, especially if you've intentionally matched the game settings to your leader (e.g. in Civ V playing as Elizabeth (+2 to naval movement) on a largely-water map or Catherine (doubles all strategic resource values) on a map with limited strategic resources). There is a certain point in most 4X and RTS where the player is good enough that the only way for the AI to pose a serious threat is for it to be a massive cheater.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Honestly......Edition
« Reply #10504 on: April 21, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »

I go into r/mylittlepony to find a place to watch the new episode, and literally the first thing I read is a huge spoiler.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: April 21, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »

:|

Equestria Daily's pretty good at not posting spoilers until a few days after it airs. I'd go there next time.

Anywho, if you didn't find a link yet...
part 1
part 2
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: April 21, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

I found it, don't worry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: April 21, 2012, 03:40:27 pm »

And I'd really prefer not going into a Pony-related derail.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10508 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »

3 posts = derail?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: April 21, 2012, 03:48:08 pm »

So there is a genetic predisposition for hatred of pastel-colored ponies in your family?  ???

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: April 21, 2012, 03:49:51 pm »

And I'd really prefer not going into a Pony-related derail.
And by saying this you made it go on far longer than it would've otherwise.

DUN DUN DUN
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10511 on: April 21, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »

if it involves ponies, 1=derail for me :/

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »

People say derail but what I think they're trying to say is bad thing. At least it makes more sense to me when I read it that way. Try it, I dare you.

My thigh hurts. It enrages me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: April 21, 2012, 03:57:38 pm »

Ah, so you're saying "derail" is one of those cute words that means whatever you want it to mean?

Fair 'nough.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: April 21, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »

Posting ponies in a rage thread is always a derail.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 3345