Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698156 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Over-exaggerate. If you're over-exaggerating you're exaggerating. There doesn't need to be a distinction between exaggeration and exaggeration, because they are both exaggeration. Now I'm starting to question my spelling because there are too many damn g's
Not true.  Maybe "The local council has wasted tonnes of money" would be an acceptable exaggeration that doesn't detract what I'm saying.  "The local council has wasted thousands of millions of billions of tonnes of money" would be an over-exaggeration in that I've exaggerated so much that my point looks ridiculous.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

Exaggerating is already over the top. That's the point of it. I have the sneaking suspicion that over-exaggerate was created by the department of redundancy department.

Synonyms are all good and well. But they aren't exact synonyms. Let's say I were to type a word into Microsoft Word and select its synonyms. For this example let's use crazy. So I type crazy in and see a list of its synonyms: mad, wild, passionate, extreme, fanatical, foolish, unwise. Yes, all of those can have the same meaning, but they aren't completely synonymous. Fanatical can mean extreme devotion, mad can mean angry and is only used in certain parts of the world to mean crazy, wild has a huge number of uses, same with passionate. Synonyms are wonderful things, but only when they offer variety. When you wind up just using more syllables to say the same thing you're doing something wrong, and wasting precious seconds of people's lives.

Let's add a new one to the list, literally. As it is it is a wonderful word that can certainly clear up issues with distinguishing between an exaggeration (on ground level, not over anything) or a metaphor and something that actually happened. I actually make sure to take things too literally in my mind, purely to visualize the hilarious things people say sometimes without ever realizing it. However, literally has become the pet word of preppy high school girls, at least in my state, and it is starting to rival "like" in number of times used during a conversation. If you are telling a story, and state a fact, I am more than likely going to believe it was literal. You don't have to tell me her boyfriend was literally right there. If you just said that her boyfriend was right there I would have believed you. Honest.

Luckily literally isn't quite as bad as "I'm not gonna lie." Another phrase useful in moderation, but that gets taken to extremes. I'm sorry, but if you really have to say "I'm not gonna lie" multiple times in a conversation you're probably a pathological liar. Let me reiterate. Unless you are telling blatant lies, or have my a curly black moustache, I am probably going to believe what you tell me without constant clarification that you are not lying.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

That's why connotations are important.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I have to constantly self-edit for over using 'honestly.' I'm not doing it as a conscious attempt at persuasion, it's just a reflection of how I talk IRL.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Many people do. :P

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

honestly, honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly!

honestly!
:P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

honestly, honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly honestly!

honestly!
:P
honestly, that was just plain, honestly terrible.

you should honestly be ashamed of yourself.
Honestly? I mean, really.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

Y'know man(s)... I'm not gonna lie, but you need to stop saying honest. It's, like, literally gettin on my nerves, y'know???? Honestly, I sound like kinda a dick with all this erronious crap in my writing.

Pre-emptive edit: All sarcasm

Also, to not lose any wind in our raging sails, what is with people saying "I know, right?" What does this even mean? Are you asking the person who just told you something if they actually believe what they quite plainly just said, or are you asking them whether or not you fully understand what they said without offering any evidence whether or not you understand?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I know, right?

...means either (1) I agree with you (2) I don't agree with you but I'm just saying it to not look like it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Honestly, people?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Dudes.

Dudes.

....and dudettes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

And everyone in between, off the side, or somewhere else.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Basically, I say basically far too often. Also 'like', which is one fewer degrees of separation from a tween than I'd like.

EDIT: SONOFABITCH, although that was a reasonable usage.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 3345