Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, yeah, I'm pretty sleepy.  (Read 3653 times)

Pathos

Re: So, yeah, I'm pretty sleepy.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 04:28:49 pm »

No. I made that myself. From scratch.

Of course, which is why I found a bunch of other groups with the recursive tan sound. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:36:02 pm by Pathos »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »

Generally if somebody is there I'll wake up easily. But no machine has ever really roused me from my slumber. I suppose I'll need a net of alarms as well.

The issue with me is even hearing the alarms and waking up to it. Once I'm awake I have the willpower to get out of bed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Of course, which is why I found a bunch of other groups with the recursive tan sound. *facepalm*

I think Armok is saying he made that particular sound file himself.
As opposed to downloading one of the already existing recursive tans.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 04:58:16 pm »

If my cell phone was loud enough, that would certainly work to wake me up. And if it didn't, that would make for one hell of a twist on an early morning dream.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:29 am »

because I really can't be bothered to wear my hearingaids while sleeping, I went around that problem, and trust me, it's just the right thing for you

an alarm clock that goes to a max volume of 120 decibel

you will wake up
and so will your neighbours
and your neighbours neighbours...

if you don't wake up, I guess you are in a coma or something

120 decibels? That would consume a hell of a lot of power besides being one heck of a job to create in the first place.

It's like a jet engine in my room! The paint's shaking off!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:21 am »

to create ?

you buy those on the internet. and even if it's loud, a sound that usualy only lasts a few seconds is not very energy consuming
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »

Thats extremly odd, and even so must be only naming coincidences. I made that sound myself and havn't shared it untill this thread.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 11:24:59 pm »

Put your alarm on the opposite side of your bedroom, and don't go back to bed...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

taranwanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 11:39:43 am »

i have an alarm set for around 20 min or so before i need to wake up. when it rings, i just click the alarm forward 5 min and go back to sleep. if it rings again, i do it again. after five or ten minutes (maybe 15 on a sleepy day) i'm awake enough to get out of bed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:01:39 pm by taranwanderer »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 03:46:26 pm »

For me works this:

a) cut out coffeine, alcohol
b) get a bit more sleep
c) take a few short naps during the day (at least one after lunch)
d) excercise at least a bit (I have best experience with going swimming early in the morning)

Does not work immidiately, but after few days I feel awesome, am full of life and have no problems with waking up.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:34 pm »

Really, napping works well for you? I've rarely ever been able to take a nap, and it's even rarer for me to not roll back over if I do. Conditioning maybe?
While talking to AJ:

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »

Really, napping works well for you? I've rarely ever been able to take a nap, and it's even rarer for me to not roll back over if I do. Conditioning maybe?

Yes, it works really well for me. You do not have to actually sleep. If you just lay down and relax, it will help you too. After just relaxing, it will be easier for you to actually fall asleep. Very important thing is how long you will be napping. I prefer setting my timer to 15 minutes because of how sleep (at least mine) works. You should not fall asleep in less than 5 mins (if you do, you are really tired and should sleep more). After sleeping for more than 10 or 15 minutes, the dream phase kicks in and waking up before it finishes (usually another 30 minutes) is exhausting.

If you have problems with waking up after napping, you probably are just really tired and should extend your sleep for a few days.

I love napping after eating my lunch. It is satisfying and helps me overcome after-eating fatigue. During the day I take none to several naps depending on my activities. I have found most exhausting hard studying for exams.

The last thing, I would like to mention is something I call "trucker's nap". You quickly drink a cup of coffee and immidiately take a 15 min nap. Coffeine start working after 15 mins so you wake up, you are fresh and coffeine kicks in.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »

I'll take your word for it, but my psychology 102 class refutes some of what you say. Obviously if it works, it works, but from what I understand, you're not getting actual sleep, but the hypogalgic relaxed, dreamy feeling right before sleep. A normal sleep cycle is about an hour and a half to two hours, and you don't get much of a benefit from it unless its for that long. Also, after-eating fatigue? I've never heard of that. Unless you're talking about slight changes before and after your eating and napping, I guess I don't really notice the difference.

Of course, if it works, then it works.
While talking to AJ:

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »

I normally sleep at night. Just when I feel tired during the day, I take a short nap to refresh. As far as I know sleep cycle is 45 minutes (of course, I may be wrong and you right). You (or at least I) do get benefit if you sleep the whole cycle or if you sleep for only so shortly you do not get in the deep sleep (link to wiki since I am lazy to find something more reliable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-wave_sleep). After-eating fatigue is not a word, it is my inability to correctly translate to English. After finishing my meal I feal tired, that is all.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 06:04:38 pm »

It's certainly not popular on google searches :P But damn, that thing is annoying. I was worried about my eardrums breaking somewhere around the middle.

I've always thought that the sound of babies crying makes a far better alarm clock. Babies are genetically designed to be impossible to ignore. Maybe I'll try and make one to compete with Armok's sound file.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3