Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, yeah, I'm pretty sleepy.  (Read 3648 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, yeah, I'm pretty sleepy.
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:25:10 am »

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd take a few minutes of my time to actually come here and post again. As some of you might know, I'm in a situation which requires that I be up and about every morning, and for this purpose I have alarm clock(s).

By that, I mean I own three separate alarm clocks, all of which make separate noises and are set to trigger at different times. Some people, when examining this rig of mine, often comment that it is complete overkill given it's intended purpose, and to which I must reply that it is not, because I'm a very sleepy guy. Even when going to bed early, even when an important appointment expects me to get up early, even when I'm not depressed and the world is going my way, my brain decides that it would rather sleep and will use my subconscious to produce inane rationalizations towards just slamming the snooze button and falling back to sleep.

Now, due to my rig failing somehow, and both of us being late for our classes, I've upgraded my rig: I now have a fourth alarm clock which not only beeps, but gets louder over time, and I've modified my cell phone (which acted as one alarm clock) to now fire off at three separate times instead of the one it did before. This is to prevent such a catastrophe from ever occurring again. But I must wonder... is it enough?

Can anyone lend me some advice in the fine art of not being a chronically sleepy troublemaker?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: So, yeah, I'm pretty sleepy.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:06:38 am »

I once set up a Rube Goldberg alarm clock that poked my arms with sewing needles.
If that didn't work, it dumped water on my face about five minutes later.
I always managed to wake up before the needles in anticipation of the machine going off.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:22:30 am »

I actually made a special, carefully designed sound to counter this problem, due to me being rather insensitive to sound, I'll see if I can upload it. It can wake the dead, so I'll require you to absolve me for any damage caused by zombies.

Here: http://www.box.net/shared/m7icnpxds2
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:28:04 am »

I actually made a special, carefully designed sound to counter this problem, due to me being rather insensitive to sound, I'll see if I can upload it. It can wake the dead, so I'll require you to absolve me for any damage caused by zombies.

You mean, you stole it from people who made the special, carefully designed sound?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:40:25 am »

I actually find it quite relaxing on a loop.
That sound would never wake me up.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:19 am »

Put the phone in the far corner of the room, or better yet, just outside your window (assuming your on the ground floor) so you have to get out to stop it. That said, even the most extreme measures have failed me in the past.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:25 am »

Oh, thank God, this thread is just what I needed.

Trying to fix sleep schedule, been up for about 18 hours.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:08 am »

You fix your sleep schedule the same way you fix jetlag.

No caffeine.
Do not sleep for one full day and night.

The next night you should be dead tired. Go to sleep at a reasonable time and set your alarm clock for a reasonable time, like sleep at 9pm and wake up at 7am. You should sleep through the night and then be woken by the alarm clock. Keep to the same sleep schedule as closely as you can and your body will get used to it.

I actually end up waking up about a minute or two before the alarm goes off, regardless of what time I set the alarm to. I've even tried going to sleep with heavy blankets over the window to block out all light and turned all clock faces away from me. Doesn't matter, I still wake up at exactly 1-2 minutes before the alarm time.  :D

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:43 am »

Caffeine is bad as a general principle.

Sounds like you might have some kind of sleep apnea or other disorder though. it's definitely not normal. As always - just see a doctor.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:37:10 pm »

Oh, thank God, this thread is just what I needed.

Trying to fix sleep schedule, been up for about 18 hours.

Sleep schedules are a bitch. Yeah, you can try what Hyndis said, but I sleep infrequently enough that the 'awake' part of every day tends to be skewed. I just went through a period that started by falling asleep at the pretty normal 2am and waking up at 4am, then 4-7, then 7-10, etc. until I was going to bed at 3 or 4pm. But I kept it up, and then there were a few days where I was going to bed at the fairly early time of around 8-9pm. And so on, and so forth. Fixing my schedule once only means a day or two longer being on normal time, and I have enough trouble sleeping as it is that I don't want to risk that.

Uh... for the OP, get yourself one of those "my dad is an inventor" beds that flings you out of it.

Maska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • cvx
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:45:04 pm »

I recommend trying out alarm systems that use light. Getting some natural light to shine in your eyes should make your body realize that it's morning.
Pakaa - the Monaco of Finland

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:38 pm »

I used to have a hell of a time waking up in the morning...

And then I got a new job, which required me to be up even earlier...

I bought a new alarm clock.  Has two different alarms I can set.  The beep starts out soft and eventually becomes horrifically annoying.

I set the first alarm for 30 minutes before I actually need to wake up.  The second alarm is set for when I need to wake up.  And the whole clock is set 10 minutes fast.

I can enjoy repeatedly hitting snooze and slowly waking up while still making it to work on time.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »

You mean, you stole it from people who made the special, carefully designed sound?
No. I made that myself. From scratch.

Quote from: ein link=topic=58971.msg1317531#msg1317531   date=1276173625
I actually find it quite relaxing on a loop.
That   sound would never wake me up.
You're hardcore.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

because I really can't be bothered to wear my hearingaids while sleeping, I went around that problem, and trust me, it's just the right thing for you

an alarm clock that goes to a max volume of 120 decibel

you will wake up
and so will your neighbours
and your neighbours neighbours...

if you don't wake up, I guess you are in a coma or something

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »

Dude, use eyearms to keep your eyelids open.
Pages: [1] 2 3