Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Note on some utilities  (Read 53740 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Note on some utilities
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2010, 11:34:30 pm »

I keep hearing complains about the military UI, but outside of no documentation I found it fairly navigational. I'm not sure if this is due to my experience with the of the UI though.

My complain, is that there are various times when I dont know what I am adjusting. That annoys the fuck out of me, and again the lack of constancy.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:16 am »

One problem with third-party user interfaces is that damn near everyone would wind up using them.

... because they are great? Then I see no problem having them. ;)

Even if a decent API is used, things would break between versions, leading to (sometimes large) gaps in time between a new version of DF being released and the third-party UIs catching up.

This is very annoying for the community, at least.

With proper data structure and API designs, you will more likely just have unsupported features (like a new workshop showing up as a featureless cube in StoneSense).

Poking around in memory and updating it is far far more likely to cause DF and utilities to crash.

In other words, there's some inherent instability in having people rely on third-party software that needs to be updated regularly. It winds up being frustrating for the players, and frustrating for the community in general.

That's because some people think dealing with the default GUI is even more frustrating. Ever tried adjusting the labor lists of 30+ migrants?

To that end, I think the best solution is for the game itself to have a decent user interface at some point. I agree that the new military controls are the straw lead weight breaking the camel's back at the moment. I don't think a perfectly sustainable long-term solution is necessarily the best or most urgent thing to do right now, but things need to be workable and remain that way.

I read MagmaWiki about the new military interfaces before I even downloaded 2010... so to me the military controls aren't THAT bad... it's just all the bugs that must be fixed. To me the most horrible aspect of DF's UI is the labor list and unit list. I wasn't using Therapist before 2010, I just kept my population cap small. After trying Therapist once with 2010, I won't ever play without it. The pain caused by the default UI is too intense, overshadowing any good new features.

Also I have a feeling that Toady belongs to the programmer stereotype that doesn't like testing and making UI... so if he create the API, he won't have to deal with it anymore. But I also feel his reluctance to do so... he seems to want to do everything by himself.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:44 am »

That's because some people think dealing with the default GUI is even more frustrating. Ever tried adjusting the labor lists of 30+ migrants?

This is why I think the focus needs to be on improving the existing UI, not extending an API to third-party UI developers. I'm not saying it doesn't need work, just that that work would probably best be spent on the first-party interface.

I read MagmaWiki about the new military interfaces before I even downloaded 2010... so to me the military controls aren't THAT bad... it's just all the bugs that must be fixed. To me the most horrible aspect of DF's UI is the labor list and unit list.

The military controls are worse in a very important way: No feedback. If you do something wrong with the military and something you do doesn't work, you have effectively no way to know why unless you puzzle it out for yourself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2010, 01:43:00 am »

I play with out a third party app. Outside of being time consuming, I dont find adjusting evening a hundred dorfs labors to be that hard.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2010, 01:47:32 am »

The military controls are worse in a very important way: No feedback. If you do something wrong with the military and something you do doesn't work, you have effectively no way to know why unless you puzzle it out for yourself.

Yeah, it is bad. "Huh, i added them to squads, how come they still look like civilians. Hey, that one is hauling stuff? WTF?"

Not to mention that doing very basic stuff (basic draft-n-kick-ass) is disproportionatelly more dificult in new version. gone are days of 'v'-'a' (kick ass) 'v'-'a' (back to civilian life)

One problem with third-party user interfaces is that damn near everyone would wind up using them.

In other words, there's some inherent instability in having people rely on third-party software that needs to be updated regularly. It winds up being frustrating for the players, and frustrating for the community in general.

Well, it has already happened. Quite a few players need Therapist, quite a few want Stonesense on side.

We even have 'API' that needs to be updated: DFhack (wtb: dfhack edition of current therapist). New version break utilities and people wait for them to resume working.

All in all, whether Creator wanted it or not, can of cats was opened already (or is it worm is out of the bag?). When someone introduces people to DF, he gives them four links: homepage, wiki, therapist and stonesense.

Integrating killer features of utilities is simply logical step to bring this back under control where utilities are really just utilities, not must-haves.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2010, 01:50:43 am »

I also dont find it that hard to set up a make shift squad to go kill the occasional insane dorf or battle goblins. It does take longer, but not all that much. What through me off first was the order screen.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:41 am »

now it's just create squad, then s-a-k-l-mountaingoat

then s-a-o to get back to work.

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2010, 02:24:03 am »

Well, it has already happened. Quite a few players need Therapist, quite a few want Stonesense on side.

We even have 'API' that needs to be updated: DFhack (wtb: dfhack edition of current therapist). New version break utilities and people wait for them to resume working.

All in all, whether Creator wanted it or not, can of cats was opened already (or is it worm is out of the bag?). When someone introduces people to DF, he gives them four links: homepage, wiki, therapist and stonesense.

Integrating killer features of utilities is simply logical step to bring this back under control where utilities are really just utilities, not must-haves.

Difference between DFHack and proper API, is that Toady would be himself responsible for workings of that API. So the pressure would be on him. And based on his comments about this subject, it would considerably lessen his satisfaction of working on DF. And I don't think any of us wants that.

Ps. I have never linked Therapist or Stonesense to anyone, mainly because I rarely use them myself, but also because I think that my friends are capable of finding those themselves if that's what they want to use, and digging information from community (both through forums and wiki) is a very good lesson to learn up front.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:54 am »

now it's just create squad, then s-a-k-l-mountaingoat

then s-a-o to get back to work.
You sure that's not an emacs keybinding?

...sorry.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2010, 05:27:29 am »

If Toady was worried about game updates breaking interface options if the API changes, forcing add-on maintainers to update before their utilities work with the new release then, (takes a breath), doesn't that point to, ironically, having a beta release (of his alpha software, I know) that's open to the coding community so they can have things up and running for the "real" release.

I commend individuals that can micro-manage the settings on a hundred dwarves without complaint, but we aren't all zen masters. I'd have a hard time playing without DT.

I think I had the military interface mastered after a couple of forts and the squad system seemed to work fine. The trickiest part was layering armour but that generally worked, maybe with an extra set of chain mail every so often on a dwarf running around clutching an armful of weapons, though god forbid he should pick up a quiver once in a while. :)

As for games like DF - I tried Tropico 3 after someone on these boards mentioned it. Nothing like as deep as DF, but...

You have individual citizens with different needs, waves of immigrants, foreign powers to deal with and buildings with inter-connected dependencies, eg I was scratching my head figuring out why workers were building shacks instead of living in the fancy apartments I was building, until I realised I needed garages next to habitations or else the workers were forced to walk to work, and instead of doing that they preferred to build lean-to hovels. Pretty neat game actually.

I'd almost suggest that someone involved in Tropico 3 was a DF fan. Or maybe the original (ten year old?) game had all that as well. In any event, these games are coming. Like I said before, there's a window of opportunity that's closing.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2010, 06:41:06 am »

As a Tropico fan, I can tell you the original game, while lacking cars (and thus, garages and big roads), is near identical to the third, to it's very great credit. There is an unfortunate trend towards the dropping of existing content in favour of gimmicky, buggy commercialized garbage which requires hundreds of dollars and the patience of 10 saints to acquire even a quarter of the content of the original classic in sequels to old simulation games in a failed attempt at appealing to both old fans and casual gamers, which ends up frustrating the casual gamers with it's bugs and alienating the longtime fans with it's hollow, soulless attempts to equal the timeless charm of the original and it's bastardization and dumbing down of a game from an era where things were more than "Bang bang bang".

But, rambling aside, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought there were some similarities, in the depth of individual control and management. Tropico and Dwarf Fortress have both been compared to the Sims, so perhaps there we have a common ancestor.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:42:59 am by Praetyre »

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2010, 07:48:13 am »

Difference between DFHack and proper API, is that Toady would be himself responsible for workings of that API. So the pressure would be on him. And based on his comments about this subject, it would considerably lessen his satisfaction of working on DF. And I don't think any of us wants that.

Well, here's where we would need some input from Toady.  The nice thing about DFHack is that Toady didn't have to write it.  Zero Toady-time invested.  And the worst is that Toady didn't write it.  By not providing access to anything, he's actually provided access to everything (I doubt Toady would make an API to heal/hurt dwarves or create magma, but when others resort to memory hacking they might as well).  And it's not as stable as it could be and it breaks with every version.

But how much time/frustration would an API cost Toady?  Only he can answer that.  It depends on how the code is structured.  If the interface is abstracted away from the rest of the code, it shouldn't be a large problem since the API can call the same functions the UI calls.

If the UI isn't abstracted from the rest of the code . . . I think it would save Toady a lot of headache if it were (though I realize, he knows far better than my guesses.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:44:54 am by ggeezz »

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2010, 08:20:23 am »

First, it's possible to create an API (for DF) where most of it has a very low chance of changing and if it does change it's probably because it's no long applicable, so there's no reason to be attached to it.

Second, people are already attached to Dwarf Therapist et al, and an API would make them far less brittle.

Anyway, yes, this has been suggested before and Toady has made a couple direct responses.  Any supporters of the idea should definitely read these:

Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: followup (click to show/hide)

Also some earlier stuff:

Spoiler: part 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: part 2 (click to show/hide)

Thanks for posting this again.  I think I originally found it when you posted it somewhere else and it is the most enlightening posts on the subject so far.  What I'm wondering is if/how Toady's opinion has changed over the last few years.  I remember reading in an old interview that he was "worried about" or disliked (or something) mods/utilities that were close to full UI replacements, but now he seems OK with utilities like Therapist.

As he predicted, the interfaces are here despite the lack of an API, and I assume the pressure is here as well.

The question is whether the pressure from Therapist et al, not to mention this Impaler debacle, are now more than the (estimated) pressure of maintaining an API, and which risk is now greater (having an API or not having one).

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2010, 08:31:37 am »

Having an API won't stop people from doing what they're already doing now, hacking into the memory.
What it does do is transfer responsibility to Toady, responsibility he said he didn't need, and would take the fun out of working on DF.

He has the luxurious position of being able to do what he loves for a living, and is able to say no to (the speculative) mo' money that an API might bring. I don't think there is "pressure" as such. If random people start shouting they want an API, he can say "no", and get on with what he likes doing. I'd like to plead to Toady to ignore us all, and keep on having fun  ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2010, 08:55:29 am »

Having an API won't stop people from doing what they're already doing now, hacking into the memory.
What it does do is transfer responsibility to Toady...

That's the part I disagree with. It only ever has to be as much responsibility as he wants it to be. Once you get a solid framework going, I'm thinking it would be low maintenance, and he can take all the time he needs to get to that point.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23