Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12192 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

How much are soft serves, out of interest?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »

Was that directed to me or Vester? Ice cream cones went down to 50c, but it could be a summer deal. All drinks are $1 regardless of size, and Mcmuffmuffs are a horrible $2.17
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2010, 04:56:41 pm »

Wow, dude, McMuffins are six dollars over here for a meal.

Also, yes it was directed at Vester. In Oz and NZ, they're always 50c.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:10 pm »

One dollar soft drinks is so awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

The soft serves are about half a dollar, so not that bad.. They're tiny, though.

At the Mickey D's you're working at, would the OH US $1 Mcdouble cost around 25 cents, or is it still a dollar?

We don't have one; we still have the Double Cheeseburger, and that's around $1.25, so the cost is pretty much the same.

Considering that I know for a fact that my daily (part-time) wage at McDonalds is less than the American and Canadian minimum hourly wage, both of you have it pretty well off.

You could probably make the case that you're able to afford more of your basic needs with less in the Philippines, but that wouldn't do you much for luxuries like the computer you're typing on.

Actually, this is a university computer. :P My dad did buy me a laptop, but it broke in several ways, and I haven't had it repaired since. :(

Technically, if this was my full-time job, I'd be living in a tin shack. That is not an exaggeration. Plus, I've seen some squatter's areas where they have laptops and lots of software. Piracy is king here.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:46 pm »

You can get one dollar soft drinks in Canada by going to the grocery store.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2010, 05:04:43 pm »

Our soft drinks cost half a dollar.

Ha!

Also, thanks to lax regulations, a pack of cigarettes here only costs the equivalent of one Canadollar, as opposed to those evil $12.95 packs you guys have going on there.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »

69 cents at the gas station across the parking lot, and those come in 32 and 40 oz sizes.

Really the question isn't how much a hamburger costs but rather how much does Vester pay in rent. If I bussed tables for a gourmet restraunt I wouldn't presume I deserve enough money to eat there.

And Job's wife isn't killed IIRC, as she's around to say "Bless God and die," when he suffers boils. Satan was claiming Job was only faithful because things were going well for him. The prevailing notion I'm getting from detractors is that "God is such a jerk to do that." This presumes the detractor has some moral imperitive over God, that somehow they have a better understanding of right and wrong than the creator of the universe. This is what the quote refutes. All of Job's friends were assuming bad things happened to Job because he committed some sin, and the book argues that isn't the case, that bad things happen to good people. Thus the poor or sick are deserving of charity and respect since they are not being punished by their station. You can see what the opposite mentality causes in India, where the fabulously wealthy feel no obligation to drop so much as a penny to a beggar because those people are working off their karma, and to interfere would only mean more time in punishment. So the book of Job exists to stress that human beings do not have a moral imperitive over God, ever, and that good people can suffer and bad people can thrive. In the end Job recieves twice as much as he started with and lives some 140 more years with his wife, so his loss is repaid double. However Job lamented that he wished there was some arbitrator between man and God so that he could plead his case. That arbitrator came to be with Christ.

So yeah, that's the book of Job.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »

What kind of cigarettes are $13 a pack? I dun be unna dem smokin' types, but it's around $5 a pack here, and around $3.50-4.00 if you cross the river and get them at Kentucky.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2010, 08:23:02 pm »

In Canada you can get a 50 cent soda if you buy one of the disgusting no name brands.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

Do you prefer President's Choice, then?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2010, 08:43:18 pm »

69 cents at the gas station across the parking lot, and those come in 32 and 40 oz sizes.

Really the question isn't how much a hamburger costs but rather how much does Vester pay in rent. If I bussed tables for a gourmet restraunt I wouldn't presume I deserve enough money to eat there.

And Job's wife isn't killed IIRC, as she's around to say "Bless God and die," when he suffers boils. Satan was claiming Job was only faithful because things were going well for him. The prevailing notion I'm getting from detractors is that "God is such a jerk to do that." This presumes the detractor has some moral imperitive over God, that somehow they have a better understanding of right and wrong than the creator of the universe. This is what the quote refutes. All of Job's friends were assuming bad things happened to Job because he committed some sin, and the book argues that isn't the case, that bad things happen to good people. Thus the poor or sick are deserving of charity and respect since they are not being punished by their station. You can see what the opposite mentality causes in India, where the fabulously wealthy feel no obligation to drop so much as a penny to a beggar because those people are working off their karma, and to interfere would only mean more time in punishment. So the book of Job exists to stress that human beings do not have a moral imperitive over God, ever, and that good people can suffer and bad people can thrive. In the end Job recieves twice as much as he started with and lives some 140 more years with his wife, so his loss is repaid double. However Job lamented that he wished there was some arbitrator between man and God so that he could plead his case. That arbitrator came to be with Christ.

Why did God just let Satan stroll into Heaven anyways?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »

Our soft drinks cost half a dollar.

Ha!
If you go to an Albertson's around here you can pick up a 2 liter bottle of pop for 97 cents.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »

Honestly, I kinda do that. It's a bit of a burden on my finances, but nice food is usually my primary expense.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2010, 11:55:04 pm »

Why did God just let Satan stroll into Heaven anyways?

Because its a divinely inspired allegory, or alternately because Satan strolls around everywhere else and is the 'prosecutor' in this court?

Any serious questions?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18