Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Asking for soap from merchants  (Read 1712 times)

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Asking for soap from merchants
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:59:06 pm »

I'd like to tell the liaison that I want soap from his civilization. However, I can't find soap in the list of things to ask for. Anyone knows under which heading it is? Can it be bought from merchants? It is early in my fort, and I don't want to set up such a production just to get soap.
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for soap from merchants
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »

Can't help but imagine there is a soap trail behind the caravan, stretching back to the mountainhome... and a string of cancellation messages waiting to be uncovered.

However, in all seriousness, I don't believe soap can be ordered. 

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »

You can't order soap, but you can order lye from the miscellaneous section.   Then they'll bring barrels with 10 units each, which should be more than enough.   That will cut out about half the work of making soap.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:01:14 am »

true but I think you still have to order its creation from the manager screen
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:42:35 am »

Shortcutting soap making by getting lye is worth it though. I think that I'll go with that. The upside is that there is not a lot of wood to go around, so burning potential beds/bins to make soap is even less attractive.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:23:35 pm »

Shortcutting soap making by getting lye is worth it though. I think that I'll go with that. The upside is that there is not a lot of wood to go around, so burning potential beds/bins to make soap is even less attractive.

yes in 40d you used to be able to have actresses in Forrest areas that would contain flux, iron, and a crap load of wood (sure you did not get adamantium but it was easier to survive).  in this version most such areas have aquafiers.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:19:41 pm »

true but I think you still have to order its creation from the manager screen

You shouldn't have to.  To make soap, you need lye in a barrel. The problem is the when you make it yourself, it gets stored in a bucket.  You'll need a food stockpile that accepts lye and has empty barrels to transfer it.   But since you the lye you get from traders is already in barrels, you can skip all that.

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

actresses in Forrest areas

Like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music?
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »

Like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music?

"The hiiills are Aliive, with the sound of Uuuurist..."