Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128260 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:08 pm »

I'd like to see picking a name and sprite implemented soon, as well.  It hurts my immersion a bit to be playing as a black guy named Ulrich Smith, or a guy with giant frizzy pink hair named Carl.  I'd like to be me, you know?

Also, I can't find the update.  Where eez eet?
Well based on my french skill, and unknowning use of a site I never seen before.
Nowhere.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »

My first game started with my dude in bed, and like four skeletons started in my house, surrounding me. I tried to punch one, but it didn't work so hot, so instead I hit "r" and dashed past them. THEN I noticed a handgun on a table across the room (previously out of sight), so I picked it up and blew 'em away. Then I noticed a baseball bat on another table on the other side of the room, which probably would've worked just as well.  :\

That character died horribly not too long later. I'd gotten a level and had leadership, so I got this one guy to follow me around. We transitioned to another map, where we entered a park. We headed south, but we ran into a ZOMBIE MASTER. My follower decided to stick it out and shoot at him; I decided to run like a non-idiot.

So, while the monster's clambering over the fence, I duck behind tree cover and go east, into unexplored territory. But, the master saw me and gave chase. I kept running into zombies, and eventually got too tired to run, with only my baseball bat. I tried to fight one off, but in the end it turned out zombies are kinda deadly.

My current character ran into another zombie master, exploring a shop. As I entered the place, I noticed all the shelves had been smashed into planks. I head down, and I see this huuuuge horde of zombies. Looking at them gave me their status as "following zombie master". None of them noticed me, so I got the hell out of that store.

There was a hardware store just north of that, and a gunshop just north of that.  I've shoved a buncha shelves against the entrances.  I dragged a bed into the gun store, but I haven't managed to find a source of food yet, and every time I try to go to the map to the East I run into monsters right next to the map's edge - like a zombie master with at least two redzeds

And yes, I would love the ability to carry ammo around.  I would also love for those other survivor idiots to not immediately jump on my barricade planks after I smash something and then try to sell me it, and the ability to target and kill them.  Choosing a name and sprite would be a nice, but not a priority for me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »

Based on the ~15 minutes or so I played last night, you only need to run ever to get 1 tile between you and the zombies. Granted I didn't play that long, but all of them seemed to move much slower than me...which means I almost never had to burn stamina to avoid them, as long as I played smart.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2010, 04:56:02 pm »

This looks good.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2010, 05:31:57 pm »

Can't download from either site. >:(

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »

If only AI was better, one of the refugees I huddled into my safehouse starved to death even though I had 32 bags of groceries(I counted)
Hello Hunam

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »

Pretty cool game, bro.

I'm wondering, does the situation calm down over time?  It seems like when you start it's total chaos, and it's hard to stay alive and barricade when the world is exploding.  The way the game plays out, it would seem that thing would ease up after survivors and zombies have mostly wiped each other out.

Also, do NPCs with Leadership recruit other NPCs?
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »

Yes.

NPC AI r smrt.  Wish I could tell em to run away or sleep somewhere else...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2010, 07:05:20 pm »

Yes.

To speak truthfully the NPC AI is really dumb.
you can trap them out by boxing them in with store shelves and they can't push them out of the way.
I like that though because I can box them in and let them rott while I enjoy the grocery stores food.
Also 2-3 layers of shelves infront of the barricaded door (3 layers if you removed the doors and replaced them with shelves*)
and no zombie will EVER try to break in.

*Best idea
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010, 07:08:52 pm »

Yeah, but that's not fun.

I've never understood when people try their hardest to figure out ways to make a game boring and impossible to lose.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »

Because it's alpha and you HAVE To do it to make the game better.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »

Yes.

In Soviet Union Civvies recruit YOU.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

Is it possible to get more than 3 points in a skill?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »

I actually had a leader NPC recruit me.  ...Nothing came of it.

Anyway, my coolest dude just died.  I'd gotten really buff, to the point that I could and did take down, a ZMaster's horde of like eight with only a shovel, a rifle, two medkits and some green peelz, with only brief retreats for more stamina to shovel stuff.  Then I decided to try and put my leadership to use - I'd maxed it out anyway.

WORST IDEA EVER.  The two stooges I got to follow me kept falling asleep in the goddamn zombie infested roads.  I finally managed to get them fed and rested when I decided I'd had enough - I'd drag 'em back to my safehouse and leave them there to either protect it or die.

When I got back, I noticed OH HEY, I'M EXHAUSTED AND ON THE VERGE OF STARVING!  Grabbed the one buddy that made it back (I left the other in a barricaded, ruined store he kept falling asleep in and couldn't path out of on the other map and made a beeline for the grocery store I'd found, but starved dead on the corner into the place.

A large, large deal of my time with them was spent refusing trades until they decided they'd trade for the groceries or medkit their starving/dying selves needed.

So yeah, until trading and AI are improved, leadership is kinda a tremendous, unfun, and useless hassle.

Imma go try to salvage that guy from the last save I made with him eons ago.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »

Yeah, but that's not fun.

I've never understood when people try their hardest to figure out ways to make a game boring and impossible to lose.
You'l have to starve to death at some point.
Also at some point you will have to leave, my only point in doing that is setting up a base of operations until I can hopefully get strong enough to MAYBE kill a char guard who ALWAYS one hit a guy.
Also I survived for 6 months by looting ALL the food and simply adding it to my stockpile in the grocery store that had a bunch of everything.
And that was a pretty small town too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66