Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why is fortress mode in 31.xx simply awesome  (Read 4236 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Why is fortress mode in 31.xx simply awesome
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:22:47 am »

Hi!

I have been looking through this section, and while I have found several topics about frustration or things not working out, I haven't found any thread dedicated to point out the many ways in which 31.xx has improved fortress mode. So, here it is, a thread dedicated to saying why you really like the fortress mode in the new versions. Please share your positive experiences and the features you love to use.

My current favorite is:

Announcements.txt: The possibility to set the behavior on announcements has proven to be very, very useful for. I usually play with low-population fortresses and big ambitions, so a lot of time, I let the game run and do some reading as there is no real player input required. I also like to have some breeding cats around, but at the same time, I want to keep the numbers somewhat under control by exporting kittens. Thanks to the settings in the file, I now can let the game run and pause whenever an animal is born in the fortress - so no missing the new batch of kittens anymore!

Other things I love include:

Combat Reports and Announcement Improvements: While the combat reports in themselves are quite awesome, the one thing that I really like about them and that they share with the improved announcements is the possibility to jump to the location where things happened. This has proven to be quite useful when I wanted to figure out what was going on where time and time again.

Cavern Layers and Map Height: The ability to set the cavern layers and the map height in such detail allows me to adjust the challenge in the game to whatever I feel like - whether I want a fortress that has to struggle immediately with the cave dwellers for resources or whether I want to build a huge underground fortress first and then start challenging the caves - it is all possible and available at my whim.

Balanced Trading: The value of goods has improved in my eyes, making trade for goods like cheese much more fun.

Milking Works: This has increased the diversity possible in the food production and is really something I am glad for.

EDIT: CLARIFICATION!

This thread is meant to be a rallying and support thread. Good ideas on implementations and the like are also welcome. This thread is meant to show the useful sides of the changes, and how they can improve the game experience. It is not about what you dislike about the new system (which may be a small sidenote in your explanation, of course) and it is not for arguing and fighting. Post your own experiences and ideas, read those of others, and maybe praise good ideas or ask for details on how to do things people have mentioned. Please keep this thread in a positive mood!

Deathworks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:12:27 am by Deathworks »

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Why is fortress mode in 31.xx simply awesome
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:39:01 am »

Military: No this is not a troll. I actually enjoy the new military. Sure, ranged warriors are broken, but I love being able to control what weapons my dwarves use. I like having squads, so when I get a megabeast I can decided to send all my veterans, or just a couple, depending on if it's poisonous.

Megabeasts: Except for the invicibeasts, I like the addition of more FUN.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:03:52 am »

I really like the ability to control announcements as well, only in the other direction.

"Damp stone" and "Warm stone" no longer pause my game and wrench my screen control.  While it does occasionally lead to slowdowns due to stopped tasks, it's so much nicer when I'm dealing with a big patch of known wet or warm stone.

While I do pause on Strange Moods, I don't when the dwarf gets everything he needs and starts work.  It's nice to know he's started, but there's no need to screw with my game flow.

All events which pause the game now put up a dialog, so it's obvious that it's paused.  Sometimes I used to miss the bottom-screen announcement and I didn't realize the game had stopped.

"Caravans" no longer center on the caravan.  Who cares what they look like?  I want to move to the depot when they show up, not the caravan.  If I really want to look at them, I can always use the Zoom To Announcement in the log.

- Gus

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:28:30 am »

Military too!: I love the new customization options! Now my fortress guard are all in stately red robes and tunics. Much more pleasing than before.

Appearance: I like how each dwarf has their own look now.

Caverns: Brilliant diversity and it just makes each fort seem so much more... dwarfy?

More z-levels

No more pausing when you hit the umpteenth pocket of microcline!

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:30 am »

Military: Broken or not, Its still an improvement. Being able to be picky about uniform and weapon choice is great. And the kill commands are quite handy.

Caverns: I have a reason to dig down now :D

Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:46 am »

Burrows: These are great for all kinds of things. For isntance, can't keep your sand collection running smoothly? Create a sand mine burrow with food and bed and asssign a hauler to live there when stocks are low.

The Military: Sticking to individual training I haven't had any problems with the new military system. Uniforms, scheduled patrols and alerts are all great.

Animal Farms:Animal genetics affecting butchering product and milking working are great.

There's really a lot of stuff I love in this new version. There's just still a lot of issues with getting the features to work\finding the features. I think when the interface portion is done a lot of people are going to see how rich and powerful DF is all over again.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:32 am »

Trading - Finally! The ability to purchase sand and glass from the traders... *Tyrius does the happy happy dance*

Customization - While yes, modding can make things ridiculously easy, I have to thank both Toady in all of His wisdom for allowing us to build custom buildings and the reactions to go with them. I like the ability to create training buildings, for surgery or basic combat skills (or in this case, use the buildings that Deon created, but meh, details (Cheers Deon! You rock!))

Features - Always have magma, always have the fun stuff, and enough coal, lignite, flux and iron ores (i like playing in nice flat limestone/dolomite areas, a holdover from 40d and a lousy processer i guess)
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:13 am »

Healthcare: Yea, it's buggy as all get out, but it's still a step up from where it was in 40d. No more military dwarves in bed for six years (superdwarvenly tough no less, pissed me off) because of a lousy lower left leg. No more tantrumming dwarves because they can't drink booze due to a broken bone. No more being permanently bedridden because you lost your left pinky to a carp. Lost a foot? Grab a crutch. Lost an arm? Learn to use the other one. No more need to euthanize perfectly good dwarves because of minor injuries.

Military: Still buggy as all get out, but at least you don't have to very carefully regulate who's using what. No more buying wooden weapons or carefully making base quality silver weapons with haulers, then painstakingly forbidding and unforbidding to make sure your trainees are using silver, then having to quintuple check to make sure one of them isn't carrying a steel one by mistake and still getting spinal wounds because your marksdwarves, who you gave steel crossbows, decided to practice hammerdwarf. Wooden training weapons are a godsend, and the quartermaster is my new favorite noble. We still need behavior fixes, but it's way easier to use than it was in 40d. Which is good, because we need the military a lot more now than we did in 40d.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:06 pm »

Caverns
More Fun. Limitless underground water without flows. Trees to cut regardless of aboveground biome. No more generating 10 worlds to find one usable embark location.

Military
Once the bugs are fixed, I am sure it will be awesome. Sadly my 0.31.04 seems to crash every time I try to create a squad.

Megabeasts
I might get to see one. I'd like them all killable though.

Migrants
Are useful. I think that's 'nuff said.

Magma sea
Magma? Yes please. Finally I can have sedimentary flux.

Minerals
It may be just me but useful minerals seem far more plentiful.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

Deathworks;

First let me say thanks for being a consistently positive poster on these boards. I'll go on to agree and list off my points... I'm on my 8th year in a 3104 fortress and while I initially hated DF31 due to the spacebar\esc change, now that I've successfully worked around that problem it has allowed me to see a ton of love has made its way around the game.

* Injuries \ medical care \ the hospital provide an interesting area for activity in the fortress. My hospital is a big diamond-shaped square with diagonal doorways leading in and the walls are lined with traction benches, tables, and beds. The center of the floor is a massive clot of bags and boxes filled with medical junk. Dwarves zealously rush here with newly-produced cloth and plaster now and then. When someone is injured they tend to get a lot of attention: a separate dwarf comes to diagnose, treat, feed, and water each dwarf and someone even comes to wash him. I haven't seen anyone giving an injured dwarf any booze, but I read that it happens...

* The underground is a hell of a lot of fun so far. I've only worked extensively on the uppermost layer, the mostly-dry mushroom forest. It has numerous map exits both wet and dry and creatures large and small spawn and roam through the map. The fungus in the richly fertile mud grows like a virus and requires year-round chopping to prevent its choking off of critical pathways, and the ground-cover plants provide more than enough food for 34 dwarves. As the years roll on, with a bevy of grates and bridges and staircases and ramps, miners work ardently to claim the precious treasures of the underworld from its reaches. Naked mole dogs scurry about now and then, ignored by my dwarves as non-threatening. The military sweeps through with a flurry of steel axes and sends their limbs flying into adjecent caverns and permanently (!) decorating the immediate cavern with their blood.

Several times a year, drawn by the incessant thumping and scratching and scraping of the dwarves' work, the old ones come... The beasts forgotten to creation, too ugly or evil or awkward to make a living in the surface world. Some fell to the flashing axe, but others were stronger... crafted of materials strong enough to forsake the mortality of flesh. Fearing no enemy, the dwarves turned the fury of the stone itself against these monsters and left them broken among the debris. Fearing ambush by the ilk of these beasts, the dwarves sealed off nearly every water and land route out of the county, from floor to ceiling, with walls of lustrous dolomite. When the beasts come and rap at the walls, we lay an ambush of rock and stone and pillars that none can survive.

Seeing just a few new doable things here and there really livens the game. I can make traction benches at my mechanic's workshop. The alchemist is gone and replaced by the soap-maker's. I modded in a Foundry workshop: you can take a stone mechanism, 1 unit of gypsum, and 3 units of nickel, iron, or steel to create a metal mechanism using reverse mold casting. The stone mechanism is consumed but that hasn't bothered me so far. :) What I would love is if I could have the input quality of the stone mechanism result in equal quality for the metal mechanism: i.e., you are literally casting exact metal copies of the stone mechanism. For now, the metal mechanism is always base-quality.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

I really like the ability to control announcements as well, only in the other direction.

"Damp stone" and "Warm stone" no longer pause my game and wrench my screen control.  While it does occasionally lead to slowdowns due to stopped tasks, it's so much nicer when I'm dealing with a big patch of known wet or warm stone.

While I do pause on Strange Moods, I don't when the dwarf gets everything he needs and starts work.  It's nice to know he's started, but there's no need to screw with my game flow.

All events which pause the game now put up a dialog, so it's obvious that it's paused.  Sometimes I used to miss the bottom-screen announcement and I didn't realize the game had stopped.

"Caravans" no longer center on the caravan.  Who cares what they look like?  I want to move to the depot when they show up, not the caravan.  If I really want to look at them, I can always use the Zoom To Announcement in the log.

- Gus

Were any of those modifications hard to do? I've learned a lot about the new announcements screen features from this thread... I didn't know any of this! A+++ thread, would post again.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:50 pm »

Were any of those modifications hard to do? I've learned a lot about the new announcements screen features from this thread... I didn't know any of this! A+++ thread, would post again.
Not at all, though the abbreviations are cryptic.
Here's what I changed:

[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX] - changed from [MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R] - removed P (for Pause) and R (for Recenter).
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D] - changed from [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D] - same.
[CARAVAN_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX:P] - added BOX, removed R (for Recenter)
[BIRTH_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D] - removed Pause and Recenter.  I don't care about this one at all.
[STRANGE_MOOD:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R] - added BOX.
[MADE_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D:BOX] - removed Pause, I don't need the game paused after I dismiss the box.
[MOOD_BUILDING_CLAIMED:A_D:D_D:BOX:R] - added BOX.
[ARTIFACT_BEGUN:A_D:D_D] - removed Pause and Recenter.

- Gus

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »

I agree that their are overwhelming improvements in the game, the military menu is the most user-unfriendly and impenetrable shit I have ever seen in my life and the new material and body layer system is completely unbalanced and it makes combat an unrealistically drawn out and non-lethal or ultra-lethal event. When you have soldiers beating something mercilessly for 2 whole months with a goddamn mace and it still does't die? Come on.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:16 pm »

The new version has its quirks and flaws, but I like the direction a lot of it's going in.

Cavern love +1: I've never been that big of a fan of the Underdark in D&D, but it's very fitting for Dwarf Fortress, and it makes sense: Where else would dwarves first get those underground plants, unless there was a natural underground place that'd encourage their evolution?

The magma sea: I like having a guaranteed source of it, rather than having to search for invisible magma pipes.

The circus tent and chimneys of shiny: Gives the Hidden Fun Stuff a bit more flavor. I especially like the touch of the masterwork shiny weapon at the center of the tent.

Hospital and doctors: Definitely like the idea, since I find the thought of great warriors being less likely to limp around as invalids a bit more positive. It does kind of counteract the "life is cheap" aspect roguelike culture, though.

The military screen/burrows: I'm stuck at the beginning of the learning curve, but if the bugs can be worked out, I'll be glad to be without so much micro management. Hopefully, when I end up under siege, I can just declare a red alert and count on the bulk of my forces to man the battlements.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »

Since my typical way of fighting large monsters is to cave things in on them, trap them, or drown them in magma, the invicibeasts aren't even that much of a downside for me, personally.  I love 31.04!

The increase in types of magma-safe stone is the most delightful change, if I had to pick.  No more relying on finding bauxite.
Pages: [1] 2