Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43265 times)

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »

"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 04:55:01 am »

Um. If you are playing the 0.31.0X, I hope you know how to use the Military Screen to work with Archers and stuff. That is more of a Pain in the Ass then anything yet. But then again, it would be interesting in how you describe all this...

//Flicks to page 55.//
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 04:58:58 am »

Posting to say "This looks really awesome, good luck!"

*ahem*

This looks really awesome, good luck!

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:19 am »

Um. If you are playing the 0.31.0X, I hope you know how to use the Military Screen to work with Archers and stuff. That is more of a Pain in the Ass then anything yet.
I'm playing a fresh copy of 0.31.04, but the best part is that my total experience with the latest batch of releases equals exactly six minutes of wiki browsing and I can't wait for my dwarves to get ambushed or burst into a new underground feature just so I can see them die in more excruciating detail than ever before! I'm like a stereotypical FPS player, but with a text fetish. (Also there are little dwarf Greggory Houses now??? Yesss.)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 06:51:48 am »

You spend most of the night in deep discussion with Fourguts. The crossbower stands guard while the other dwarves eat and warily watch the darkened forest downhill. Nothing more than a few hoary marmots have been spotted ... so far. Foureyes mistakes them as puppies and runs off on several occasions.
    You eventually come to an agreement and sketch your fortress plan in the dirt. Your priority is to be strictly self-sufficient and protected as soon as possible. To this end you have devised a modular hub system that contains all your basic necessities interconnected around a central storage room, two levels beneath your current height. A farm, run-off well and kitchens will be slightly lower so they can be regularly flooded from the nearby brook. A dining hall will be directly above them for convenience. Small bedrooms will be dug on the other side of the storage, and workshops spread around the tunnels closer to the surface. Even a refuse pile and tiny office for Fourguts - eventually haggled into separate rooms - are catered for.
    Security is also considered carefully. The only entrance will be heavily trapped using cages and spears carved from the wrecked wood, though simple stone traps will be installed even before then. Your barracks will exit directly beyond the traps, and even have emergency passages leading to the workshops in the event of moody dwarves.
    With a firm nod, you grasp your pickaxe and prepare to finally strike the earth. Fourguts is giving the other dwarves their orders: several temporary workshops are to be constructed outside to produce furniture, sturdy doors and mechanisms. The other dwarves will also be on standby to begin hauling rubble out and supplies in once you give the word the tunnels are safe. The idle metalsmith is chosen to mason in your absence. The crossbower will be hauling only, and for good reason - only an hour ago were you told their crossbow and ammunition were actually lost during the goblin attack at sea. Only the doctor will be aiding your dig.
    "Pretend the stone is your father's liver," Fourguts advises as he hands a perturbed doctor the second pick.
    With a crash the first andesite crumbles beneath your pick. You grin and flex your muscles, then hack another wall of stone to pieces. Then a third. Then a fourth. By the twentieth or so you lose count and your feeling of pure joy moderates itself into proud work and dwarven digging songs.
    As you dig deeper and deeper you begin to lose track of time. Only ale breaks and the occasional lucky discovery mark your progress. You are tempted by tube agate in a planned wall but decide to leave it for later. Shortly afterwards you find black diamond just waiting to be carefully excavated. Even better, you next strike faint yellow diamond! Later you find another cluster of agates again, and then black zircon. Then faint yellow diamond. Then green diamond.
    Suddenly, your questioning of diamonds' supposed preciousness is interrupted by a tell-tale trickle of water. You press your hands against the nearest stone and find it damp. This can't be right. You are still some distance from the river and not far beneath the surface. Normally this discovery would be a curiosity rather than a problem, but you are already recalling the last words you spoke with Fourguts. After one break and several sleeps worth of working, the basics of the fortress are nearly finished; unfortunately, so too are your food supplies. Only four packaged lobsters remain and you need this tunnel dug quickly in order to begin farming.
    Instead of goblins, it seems your greatest danger has become the time you've spent protecting yourselves from them!

If you risk digging straight through the dampness, turn to page 33.
If you order a wooden crossbow and bolts made for hunting, turn to page 12.
If you ask around for any dwarves who know how to fish, turn to page 117.
If your mind hungrily turns towards Foureyes' 'pony', turn to page 86.
If you screw it and dig out all the gems so that you die RICH, turn to page 99.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:00 am »

What could go wrong?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 07:41:26 am »

FYI You need a Quiver cause a Dwarf will not carry a set of 25 bolts in one hand while the crossbow in the other. If you want to know how to even attempt to Hunt, let me know. I succeed twice, but then he stopped...

Also like to point out that the Crossbower in the last Update had a weapon... Now Imagining that weapon to be nothing more then a stick...

Well we will be needing that Hide that the Pony is hogging... Better get it now, as well as something to eat... //Flicks to page 86//
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:30 am »

99. No exceptions. We need them gems.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 08:58:33 am »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:55 am »

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

117, fish for all?!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

You get shells from cleaning, not eating this time round. 117.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 03:51:39 pm »

117 because me.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 08:13:05 pm »

Also like to point out that the Crossbower in the last Update had a weapon... Now Imagining that weapon to be nothing more then a stick...
Well, you know how some people like to play the air guitar?

The crossbower is just that convincing. <— This is now canon.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »

Well, you know how some people like to play the air guitar?

The crossbower is just that convincing. <— This is now canon.
He's gonna have to be, considering how hard it is to make Archers actually use their crossbows...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12