Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  (Read 43267 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 10:41:44 pm »

Ninja Cat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:36 am »

Yeah man, those gems can just sit back and wait. There is a freaking Ninja Cat, 105.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 08:27:14 am »

"... Ninja what?" Fourguts echoes in exasperation. "Look, you do that. I'm going to go fetch the crossbower now."
    You ignore him and head downstairs to the bedrooms, searching for the enigmatic cat of ninjitsu lore. There are several idle dwarves crowding the entrance and doodling on your walls, but no sign of any felines. The fortress is only so big, it must be hiding somewhere. To a the cat, you have to think like a cat. Channel your inner gigolo. That's it! A regular cat must have a fast metabolism just to keep up with breeding, but a ninja cat ... to the stockpiles!
    You rush towards them, only pausing to step around the snacking, sleepy crossbower. The cat is found licking itself next to a barrel of alcohol. You stare it down and finger your pickaxe. Suddenly, you leap! But the cat darts beneath your legs and scurries off again.
    Your cruel game of cat and mouse continues for the next several days, and already you are unsure who is the hunter and who is the hunted. Its eyes glow like diamonds, mocking you as it deliberately runs everywhere except your gem stockpile.
    "Hey, the snatcher left," Foureyes informs you as she passes in the hallway. "The crossbower ran out to attack but it had already fled. So he stripped in celebration and streaked back inside. One of the rookie miners is digging an archery range to keep him out of sight now, but I- Hey, where are you going?"
    The cat is on the move again and you give chase upstairs. It nimbly leaps over your row of weapon traps, leaving you to tread carefully behind it. It was only out of sight for a second, you swore. But when you next caught up it was already carrying toad remains. You warily follow the beast inside and-
    HOLY SHIT HALF THE GEMS ARE GONE HOW IS THAT EVEN oh, oh thank Armok. They're just being stored in wooden bins. You angrily chastise the confused hauler, twitching lightly. When you turn around your foe is already gone. You find it later in an empty fishery, innocently swiping fish guts. Or so it wants you to believe.
    "You need to have words with that bloody crossbower," Fourguts grumbles to you a few weeks later. You barely perceive his voice, intently focused on the fluffball snoozing under his desk. "He swears he's 'going to archery practice', but refuses to budge from the weapon stockpile. I've cancelled his training and he's still lazing there. ... Are you feeling okay?"
    You assure Fourguts that you are, or at least will be once you can figure out your nemesis's secret weakness. Fourguts ignores that last part and hands you some papers. You sign them without looking down.
    "All the dwarves you're leaving idle have decided to dig a 'party room', complete with a closet for snacks. Those were the order forms for the statues," Fourguts adds dubiously. You nod, and stroke the ball of pig tail fiber thread in your pocket. Why does he look so satisfied without it. Why?!
    You notice eventually that further migrants have arrived, if only because they slow your pursuit. They all seem impressed by a masterpiece statue in the storeroom. At least until Fourguts explains that it is real, breathing dwarf who's mind may or may not have been broken by the disbanding of his squad. There is a possibility it was broken before then.
    The exchange brings your mind briefly back from its reverie. Three waves of migrants have arrived safely in only a year, when you had to be shot and shipwrecked to make it at all. And since then there's only been a single goblin spying on your fort. What have you done that has made them so afraid of you now? And if so many dwarves are seeking fortune after you, what happened to all those who must have arrived before you?
    A cat is a deadly weapon, but you reason that it would leave traces of kittens everywhere. No, the real danger must be something else. Your mind wanders in thought. The cat cat scratches at your leg, desperate for attention. You ignore it and it mews worriedly before vanishing in a puff of smoke. You walk in thought towards your bedroom, stopping to admire a masterpiece engraving of a familiar wandering lizard. It's eerily realistic and you could have sworn it was engraved in the dining room.
    "The horsies gave birth! The horsies gave birth!" Foureyes sings. She dances down the corridor and stops before you. "Oh, yeah, and there was a possession or something again? That new craftsdwarf made a figurine depicting the first dwarven queen surrounded by blah blah history whatever. It had pretty tanzanite bands, though."
    WHAAAT?! Your hands shake as you try to take this new information in. What was that cat doing to you this whole time? Your gems - your glorious gems for the dwarven kingdom - have been defiled WITH POLITICS?!
    "Um, yeah, but only two ..."
    FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

If you bury your gems deep under the earth where no ghost or goblin can ever touch them, turn to page 143.
If you construct a tower to display your gems and house only your six most trustworthy dwarves, turn to page 166.
If you dig your fortress a secure lock-up complete with armed guards to protect your gems, turn to page 180.
If you just throw the craftsdwarf in your execution chamber, turn to page 109.
If you realise Fourguts was right; you need to lay off the water, turn to page 102.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:46 am »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:44 am »

Seconded, 166.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »

You ignore it and it mews worriedly before vanishing in a puff of smoke.
...It really is a ninja cat?!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 02:32:52 am »

102, Seriously, water, gah.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 02:46:14 am »

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 07:05:17 am »

The idea springs to mind fully formed, interrupting your swear with a vision of towering granite and sparkling gems radiating their beauteous power over the entire island, nay, the world. Yes, you can see all ten levels already - glorious statues at its entrance, vicious beasts guarding the winding stairway, stockpiles of sacred wine and layers enough for the chosen seven to live in worship. All topped off with a hundred precious gems soaked in pure moonlight. Yours for just seven ninety five with a regular fries and-
    Hold on, your daydreams are getting mixed up. You shake your head to clear it and begin walking resolutely through your fortress's corridors, randomly pointing and recruiting additional masons to work. You'll place the base walls a few levels up the mountain, with the only access tunnel safe behind your traps. The floor with need smoothing. And you'll want a hatch ready just in case. Oooh, and make it olivine only. You don't care how far away it is, olivine is awesome.
    "Let me guess, the masons need to be nude while they build it? And the bricks can only have been carved on a Tuesday? Oh, but ..." Fourguts only stops his sarcastic tirade when a wisp of smoke curls out of his pocket. He frowns and pats his cave spider silk pants, then pulls out a scrap of paper and several cat hairs. "'Be grateful. Be careful. Olivine is personal stone. It shows he is not yet all theirs. P.S. Do not read this note alou...' Huh."
    You give Fourguts a suspicious look, then turn away to supervise the initial construction. For the most part is goes well. No wildlife or goblins are spotted while the bottom walls go up, and the work is adequate if slow. There is one incident where Foureyes over-excitedly smooths the access stairway out of existence somehow, but the only significant interruption comes with the arrival of elves.
    The elves carry their merchandise on dirty, stinking warthogs. You briefly consider killing them outright, but the King's dwarves persuade you to let them live and behold your glory instead. They begin unloading and you fetch the only trade goods you have: skull totems from your refuse pile. A fitting warning.
    "Look at all junk they're pawning," Foureyes comments as she spies on the proceedings. "First ropes, then toys, throw down some alcohol, and now they have wood. Plus all their armour weighs next to nothing. I didn't know elves were so kinky."
    "I hate you," Fourguts laments, clawing hopelessly at his eyes.
    It seems to take weeks for the elves to finish unloading - a child even throws a party in the meantime - but eventually your broker begins trading. He offers all your totems for two captive crocodiles and a dozen or so ropes. The elves refuse to trade at a loss. The broker contemplates this for a moment, then stuffs the crocodiles down his pants and legs it. Foureyes laughs as the elves dourly begin packing up their hundreds if not thousands of individual items again.
    You use the stolen rope to tie up several livestock by your entrance as a 'single use' alarm system. The crocodiles are brought into the Gem Tower. You help with the construction for several more weeks until you receive some unfortunate news: you've run out of olivine while only on the third floor. You hastily order a forge and half a dozen more picks, only to be reminded your fortress still has no anvil. Well, you'll manage somehow. You are a legendary miner, after all. Yet for some reason returning to the mines - away from the gems and their glorious Tower - sends shivers down your spine. But you trust your dwarves to finish it. Don't you?
    The last thing you see as you descend is, of course, the elves still lingering in your trade depot. Foureyes is trying unsuccessfully to shoo them away with a wooden bolt.
    Weeks pass. You know of two large olivine deposits beneath the fortress, and two within it. Your partner changes every so often, but your pick remains yours, digging, digging, digging for gems you've already dug. That seems strange, doesn't it? You giggle and strike the stone again.
    Occasionally you receive news from the fortress. One cook kicked up a fuss after their masterpiece meal was eaten. She was irritated about thirst and hunger at the time, despite being surrounded by abundant food all day. Two more goblins snatchers were caught watching your fortress. One was cut open in six places by a single trap and the other fled after being spotted by a burly wood cutter. Humans arrive to trade. They have no anvil, but accept your totems for several bins of cloth and leather.
    The Gem Tower is roughly half complete and rising unstoppably. You whisper excitedly to yourself. Or maybe it wasn't you. Maybe.
    "Hey, uh, problem," Foureyes interrupts, stepping tentatively out from a mine shaft. "You know how we have all these lavish meals prepared? Like, hundreds of them spare just sitting around? Weeellllll, we're out of booze and have no plants left to brew."
    Wait. What?

If you send more dwarves to gather plants outside and reserve your farm for brewing, turn to page 112.
If you quickly steal some alcohol from the human merchants, turn to page 115.
If you tell Foureyes to "Wussy up!" and drink water, turn to page 150.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 07:43:42 am »

115. Ninjacat can help.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:19 am »

115.  Ooonnneee fiffffttteeeen!  That's the numbers I can see reflecting each of the gems.  Each of them, yay!

But, couldn't we like trade a meal or two for some decent drink?

That'd be funny too - trade not enough for each of the humans to have some.  So the one or two that can eat become the envy of the others, and maybe they fight!  And whoever survives still has to explain the trading loss to the caravan bosses back in the humanhome.

Bah, silly idea.  Humans aren't worth tormenting.  And I've got gems to stare into, fie and leave me be!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:36 pm »

From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:38 am »

"Does it bother anyone else that these humans are selling more blood than beer?" Foureyes asks. She lifts one barrel's lid then closes it unpleasantly. "No? Only me? Oneandahalflings are freaky. Also, YOINK."
    "Take what you wish. I can't stop you," the merchant replies apathetically. You glance worryingly at the heavily armed guards standing idly nearby. Hopefully none of them realise that your entire military consists of one crossbower flavoured popsicle.
    "I've grown attached to my crossbow!" the crossbower sighs from back in the dining room, where you last propped him up against the wall. "No, I mean literally. I can't feel my fingers. I'm going straight to archery practise ... help me."
    With the drink crisis taken care of for the moment, you return to digging out olivine. Your current partner - the only other legendary miner - is rather less enthused by the stone or the Gem Tower than you are, and leaves the mines to dig up coal and ores on the outside of the mountain. He claims it's in preparation for when the fortress has an anvil, but then why do you see fear in his eyes when you question him? Yet all is forgiven when he stumbles upon a star ruby for your collection.
    The Gem Tower continues to rise. You take a break from mining to begin building olivine furniture for what will becoming your new living quarters. A more experienced King's dwarf takes over after a while and you go on break. You wander outside to get away from the other dwarves. It is a pleasant day for a plaindweller. The sun shines like the brightest diamond, just waiting for you to pluck it from the sky and make the whole world your cave. You reach your fist slowly into the air, then stop as two fisherdwarves catch your eye. The whole brook to choose from, and they fish right on top of each other. Well, one of them is legendary too, so you'll let their 'indiscretions' slip this time.
    The walk gives you an idea. Although you have no remaining plump helmets to brew or plant, you do have other seeds left over from foraging. If you started an outdoors farm you could be swimming in strawberry wine by next season! It will be downhill and unguarded, unfortunately, but you only intend to run it for a few months to boost your stockpiles and it can always be abandoned without serious consequences. You nod resolutely and return to the fortress in search of farmers.
    After another few weeks in the mines you receive good news: the Gem Tower is nearly completed! The staircase and floors have all been constructed, and there is olivine to spare for the outer walls. You decide to join the party going on by the gabbro statues. Your celebration is curtailed though when you notice half a dozen dwarves crowded around a single farmer.
    "Woooooo." the farmer cheers, dancing sluggishly. "I have a fey mood, yeah! Or dance forever? Eh. I have a fey mood, yeah! Or dance forever? Eh."
    "I don't know what happened to the crossbower, but it's spreading," Fourguts informs you curtly. He pokes the farmer. "No response. We even built the tanner's shop since she's skilled at that, but nothing. All that's left are her social skills and novice biting!"
    "I ate a really big mussel roast the other day, can I be a novice biter?" Foureyes asked enthusiastically.
    "No," Fourguts scowls. You stare at the farmer's eyes closer. Her body shuffles mechanically, horrifyingly, as the tiniest spark of light shines out a thousand times brighter from her eyes. Her glassy eyes ...
    "Aww, Fourguts. Take me back to your bedroom and I'll show you one 'mussel' that I'm a legend at-"
    "Aaand that's enough from you," Fourguts cuts off, briefly smothering Foureyes' mouth with a spare piece of cloth apparently carried around for that exact purpose. Foureyes nods drowsily then wobbles off towards the bedrooms.
    Ding-a-ling!
    "Liaison's here. Get it for me, would you?" Fourguts asks.
    You speak with the liaison while the merchants are still unloading. He asks for any requests. The reply escapes your lips before you really know what it means, but once it has you finally understand the purpose of your Tower: glass. A fragmented grass dome to focus the energy of all the stars onto your gems, brightening each and every one and showering the world in their unleashed beauty. Yes. No more olivine. This is your calling. This-
    "Are ya plannin' on buying or just starin' inta space all day, eh?" the merchant asks. You clear your throat and consider his goods. For a change your trading goes smoothly, mostly due to the help of your broker whispering the real value of goods into your ear. You take several dozen wooden logs, a few plump helmets and a steel anvil. Altogether it costs you roughly a single stack of fish roast.
    "Apparently we're the only settlement to have invented fire," Fourguts later suggests snarkily. "Now. We can have iron or copper ores within a day. If you can put your tower out of mind for two seconds, what are the metalsmiths forging first?"

If you order weapons and armour forged for a small military, turn to page 148.
If you order traps forged for your entrance to be widened, turn to page 181.
If you order furniture forged and bars smelted for a cyberpunk bunker, turn to page 160.
If you order trade goods forged for, uh, trading, turn to page 137.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 09:53:46 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12