Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Searchin'  (Read 13180 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Time to move?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

I'm dibsing our first ally pilot.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 06:10:02 pm »

move onto the story!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »

Man, I loved this game when it first came out. I remember being blown away by the 3D combat. Actually being able to walk *up* hills or to use them for cover! It was intense.

Hehe. Ah, how fast technology progresses. Great game anyway, though.

Generally speaking I say we stick with Davion and Steiner as people to work for. They won't betray you and tend to pay well. I remember the other three houses being decidedly inferior to work for.

I have a hint for you if you're willing to abuse the AI.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »

Heh, I've done that before. And yeah, I've noticed Davion's contracts to be superior to everyone else' . Haven't been with Steiner before.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »

Well, we're moving to Caph. Things might be a bit harder out there. So I've decided to recruit a new member to the Blazing aces. But the only mech pilot I can find on Greely (okay, just in the bar, I didn't look hard), well...

she's a happy-go-lucky rookie.  I don't care how "loyal" she is if she's dead in five minutes. But I bought a Locust for someone I'll hire on Caph.

So, I'm headed to Caph. It's probably the single core-most Davion world. Albeit the fare is a little pricy, we're off.

The neighborhood's a little- oh, did I mention? Floating in SPACE? Shit yeah.

So, off to the bar, for some sucker to pilot my my Locust. Let's, see, who's OSHI-

What the hell? Did she fucking follow me? A month later and halfway across the galaxy, she still wants to join my crew. I'm inspired by her foolishness. Instead I hire someone slightly less useless and a lot less creepy- T. D. Bente Spartan 117.

So, then, let's put him in the Locust...

...and off to our next fight! Hopefully not to disaster, as we have only about 523,000 credits left, which will barely suffice if our mechs are knocked out of commission. But I'm becoming a master haggler, on the upside.

Did I mention I liked the guy in the Greely office more?

Contracts (prices shown after haggling and may not be totally correct due to randomization and the order in which the contracts were queried):
A) Disabling of a field Comm Center- 540,000 credits, 14% salvage, 16% upfront. 1 Medium Mech. Marik planet (this is bound to get them plenty ticked off... albeit quite lucrative).
B) Retrieval of Captured Mechs- 470,000 credits, 18% salvage, 14% upfront. 1 Heavy Mech. Kurita planet (don't know if I want to tick off Kurita, and possibly steiner with them- but we could run straight to the building and claim our reward without fighting for this one. Risky.)
C) Retrieval of Stolen Property- 280,000 credits, 11% salvage 8% upfront. 1 Light Mech. Marik planet (this is a really easy bet.)
D) Rescue of Hostages- 550,000 Credits, 14% salvage 8% upfront. 1 Medium Mech. Marik planet again (I think we're doomed to anger Marik if we keep working with Davion).
E) Defense of a Landing Facility- 510,000 credits, 16% salvage 8% upfront. 1 Heavy Mech. Davion planet (a heavy mech is tough, but if we're lucky we can blast at its back while it ignores us and heads for the landing facility, like all defense missions. Risky.)

So, what'll it be? The light mech one is easy. The medium mech ones will be a challenge, but we have a chance. The heavy mech ones will be risky and likely devolve into shameless shenanigans. Also, who do we risk angering? (our standings haven't changed since the last screenshot)

edited for grammar
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:21:04 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go with D. Marik sucks to work for anyway. Cheap bastards.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile

D.

Also, yay I'm a kickass old guy.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

D.

Also, yay I'm a kickass old guy.
Better than a 16-year old girl who stalks a Davion mercenary halfway across the galaxy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oddly, I remember that girl as doing quite well in some of my games despite her abysmal starting stats. Although there was some brunette girl who had an Average skill that I tended to prefer for my first recruit.

Not that it matters much. All of the initial mercs tend to suck a bit until they get experience. And of course you can recruit awesome ones later on.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caph missions, or maybe just fighting heavier mechs, seem to be a lot harder. And my wingman is great at blowing himself up. TL;DR, I savescummed after Bente got killed in no time flat and I had effectively zero profit over ten battles or so. Then I was doing fine, but all the sudden my arrow keys stopped working (WTF?)

So here's the real update, FINALLY. It's short because I'm worried something weird is going to happen and I'll have to revert my save again.

I set off on my first battle with Spartan 117.

Because he's an idiot, I have to tell him how to flank (how do you grow old piloting a Locust without knowing that?) There's a command screen that lets me give wingmen orders along the lines of "Attack", "Defend", "Capture the base", "Run motherfucker!", etc.

It doesn't pause the combat though, so you have to give orders through the DOS interface like lightning. There's an art to thinking faster than you can act.

Because the Locust is faster (I'd give him the Jenner if I didn't think he'd run my repair bill through the roof) he runs out in front of me and gets the enemy to turn away.

The enemy is a Shadow Hawk by the way, I can see from the command screen.

Of course, Spartan sort of breaks off his move order and OH SHIT OH MY GOD THAT MECH IS BIGGER THAN ME SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!

Then something weird happens. The mofo in the red mech jumpjets off on a transatlantic fucking flight and doesn't come down for about thirty seconds (in prior attempts at this mission I tend to blow his head off in a desperate direct fire gambit, so eh).

When he finally comes down he has his back to me. This is because he is a skilled and genius tactician, or possibly because he has all the piloting skills of a crippled emu. I shoot his head off. Glory to the victorious me.

The mechyard has a slew of mechs we either wildly can't afford or just can't quite afford, but disappear when we have enough money. For the record, our Jenner is worth about 3.5 million if we sell it and the Locust is worth about 1.1 million.

So in the name of chasing empty dreams, why not head on down to the-

...Balls. And only now on this nth savescum too, normally missions are many and bountiful.

So, whence shall we fly? Davion? Steiner? Inner sphere? Fringes of the galaxy? Got some specific suggestions, those of you who have the game? Remember flying farther costs more money- minimum 90,000, maximum 240,000. We're at about 1.4 million right now. And sorry, no news or bar-talk as of yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Srsly guise?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »

Hmmm, best to stay within Davion for now, unless you really want a change of scenery. Heading off somewhere else will make us have to start at the bottom of the income barrel again.
Come play Mafia with us!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:32 pm »

yeah, head for davion.

Also, I would like to claim a pilot, and a Mech
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 08:57:48 pm »

Sail we for greener pastures! Sail we for Marduk. Place we our verbs before our nouns.

It's hard to see the white selectors, but we're just making a short trip within Davion territory.

Why waste time? We're here for work.

I pick what looks like a deal that's not too hard and should net us decent pay.

We prepare for the fight, and...

Okay, so we didn't do anything. But there was this trashed mech outside the base, so when my tour finished and grabbed my gun and went to go take a photo on it. Chicks at the bar won't know the difference.

Actually they might, because when I got back to the contract office there was diddly squat to do. No contracts available. No action in the news. We might have to stir something up if this goes on any longer.

Before we moved on though, I found a mech in the yards...

if I sell my Jenner, I could buy it. It's the only mech in the yard right now, but we save our cash we might get a better and slightly more expensive Shadow Hawk, or upgrade Bente to a Jenner, or hire someone else (though I don't like going into battle with a ton of Locusts, repair bills get expensive).

So, do we buy it? Where do we move? Who's taking our jobs?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Dey took 'er jerbs!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 11:39:10 pm »

Get the Phoenix Hawk. I've never been fond of Jenners.
Come play Mafia with us!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mechwarrior 1: Dey took 'er jerbs!
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 03:27:23 am »

I doubt the Shadow Hawk is really better, although this game may treat the Shadow Hawk v Phoenix Hawk issue differently.  You're the commander, you deserve an upgrade!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4