Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67087 times)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »

Have you tried POVRay? I'm thinking of having a play around with it
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:03 pm »

Have you tried POVRay? I'm thinking of having a play around with it
Not really. Seems nifty though.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:37 am »

Sizeak, you should also try LuxRender. It's just like Maxwell except open source.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:54 am »

Sizeak, you should also try LuxRender. It's just like Maxwell except open source.

He's already using 3D Studio, which assuming he didn't steal, is $3500.  I don't think it matters if he's using a renderer that comes with 3DS over an open source one.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:04 am »

I'm not using it, Djohaal is, unless I've misunderstood the conversation anyway.  I don't really do any modelling, I'd like to but I haven't gotten round to learning. I'm a programmer, but I find ray tracing interesting and was thinking of messing with POVRay since everything can be specified in a scene description file; which is a text description of a scene, which seems similar to programming.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2010, 09:57:11 am »

Luxrender seems to be quite robust too, although it seems optimization wize maxwell still has a headstart and is faster (well it is the oldest of the progressive renderer family).
I could have used mental ray right out of the box for a very similar result far faster, but I couldn't be assed fucking around with shaders to do the job, so I went the lazy way and had maxwell do the math for a little more time.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Neo3d

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »

I am also an old hat at Blender3d and all kinds of render engines including the newer GPU based.  Here is some of my tests/doodles.  If you guys need anything let me know.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »

I am also an old hat at Blender3d and all kinds of render engines including the newer GPU based.  Here is some of my tests/doodles.  If you guys need anything let me know.

Wow they're impressive

Neo3d

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:53 pm »

Wow they're impressive

TYVM
If you like you can check out my youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/neoblood3d

I'm generally pretty lazy at putting stuff up but there's a few animations and project tests.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2010, 03:16:17 pm »

blender. Oh my. You are a god of patience. It's UI is beyond me. (although zbrush's UI is more :P)

Also, tadpoles.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »

Do you know about the new UI that they're making for 2.5?  It's in beta now and it's much friendlier than 2.4.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2010, 03:27:49 pm »

Yeah, I tried learning to model with blender, it's insane. You'd have to be on acid to make a more obtuse UI

Also, this may sound stupid, but is it a prerequisite to be able to draw? I can't draw for shit, but I've always wanted to learn some modelling skills 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:45:58 pm by sizeak »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »

Do you know about the new UI that they're making for 2.5?  It's in beta now and it's much friendlier than 2.4.
And yet I find myself wanting a lawn to keep kids off. I still like 2.49.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2010, 04:35:33 pm »

Yeah, I tried learning to model with blender, it's insane. You'd have to be on acid to make a more obtuse UI

Also, this may sound stupid, but is it a prerequisite to be able to draw? I can't draw for shit, but I've always wanted to learn some modelling skills

I don't draw, however I'm not particulary gifted in 3d stuff either ( www.djohaal.deviantart.com for the rest of my crap)

Also, tadpoles.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2010, 05:03:36 pm »

I can't draw to save my life, but I'm good at 3d.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15