Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset  (Read 67082 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: A new DF 3D visualizer toolset
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2010, 02:46:12 pm »

Keep in mind that the only time we'd see the anvil is when looking at a forge, and the forge will have other objects as well.  So due to its small size 178 is good.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

I think it looks excellent, and "because we can" is a poor argument for using way more polys than is needed. Every bit saved on the simpler objects is more power for the more complicated ones.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2010, 03:05:41 pm »

It could at least have the pits modelled instead of textured and normal mapped.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »

That would bring it up to what, about 200? Still a far cry from the "thousand" that was suggested.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »

I guess I misworded my post. I meant that up to 1000 is a "safe" budget for an anvil, but not that one necessarially has to use all those polygons. Good results can be obtained with much less. I only think it could use some rounding at corners and perhaps more smoothing on the "nose", however it probably doesn't has the smoothing groups properly set up, so the facetting is due to that.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »

IMO that anvil looks perfect and does not need more polygons. Lesser is better.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2010, 08:33:46 pm »

Considering that the anvil isn't exactly going to be the main visual focus of any scene, my own opinion is similar to Untelligent. There's going to be a lot more in any one fort than an anvil - Walls, desks, tables, statues, hammers, hammerers, yada yada yada. There's no need to dedicate even two hundred and fifty, let alone a thousand, polygons to what will ultimately be a tiny, tiny drop in a computational sea that would be the typical render.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »

Anvils are such MINOR objects in DF, only used as a tiny part of a workshop really. That seems like a lot of polygons to dedicated to something that will never ever be the focus of a scene.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2010, 02:24:40 am »

Unless, of course, you dedicate an entire z-level to a stockpile of anvils (if Obsidian renders items).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:02 am »

Unless, of course, you dedicate an entire z-level to a stockpile of anvils (if Obsidian renders items).
Ah, but then it's many anvils, not just one. If you had a room full of Stormtroopers, would you want every eyelash to be perfectly modelled? I think not!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:52 am »

Ah, but then it's many anvils, not just one. If you had a room full of Stormtroopers, would you want every eyelash to be perfectly modelled? I think not!

Yes and ray traced in real time...
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2010, 10:38:46 am »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »

Not raytraced in real time, but it uses metropolis light transport. And took 20 minutes.  :P

(before you ask, about 900 anvils and 2 million polygons)
And that escapist image rocks. :P

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »

Not raytraced in real time, but it uses metropolis light transport. And took 20 minutes.  :P

That's epic, what software did you use?
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »

That's epic, what software did you use?

3dsmax and maxwell render. Instancing helps with managing thousands of identical objects.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15