Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, I'm willing to cheat if I need to...  (Read 2336 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I'm willing to cheat if I need to...
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

So I am a good bit into my fort (still pretty early, though) and everything seems to be going well. The outside was kind enough to spawn me a weapon smith and furnace operator RIGHT as I got my furnaces set up and the first caravan brought me pretty much everything I needed. Everything's going good.

Then some unkillable vomit monster appears and, of course, I have not saved once since I started.

I've paused my game, and I really don't wanna lose this fort. I'd be fine with losing to a goblin invasion or something, but this is just depressing. Is there any fancy memory editing I can do or something to kill the vomit monster and save my fort?

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm willing to cheat if I need to...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:34:08 pm »

If it doesn't fly you can wall it off somewhere and then drop the ceiling on it.

This of course depends on how far it currently is from your dwarfs

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:04:51 pm »

Vomit monster? You never know, what the game wil throw up, heh heh...

</lame pun time>

It seems that you have encountered the bug, where anorganic creatures are basically immortal to anything bar one-hit kills and MAGAM. Try both. It never fails.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »

Hi!

I don't know whether any of the outside tools can do anything about it. Since the critter itself is randomly generated from the raws as far as I know, you probably can't get at it via the raws anymore. So, modifying the raws will probably not be helpful.

I am not quite sure whether all those monsters have building destroyer, but depending on how fast it moves you may be able to set up a cave-in trap (some rock/construction suspended only by a support or some such).

I guess the main goal for you is to buy enough time to get some trap like that or with magma set up. How you do that depends on your circumstances - all I can say is good luck!

Deathworks

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:39 pm »

Frankly I think you are probably fubared as I doubt you have time to wall it off, and dorfs will run away if the vomit monster gets within 20 tiles or so of them.  If you have an old save file floating around you could try reloading that maybe.

In the future I suggest outfitting your front door with a Titan Swatter.  Build about a 3x15 outside corridor with a ceiling above it supported by a support sitting on the wall (see diagram).  Link the support to a lever that's situated near one of your meeting halls so there's available jobless dwarves when the time comes.  When it does, just wait for the titan to walk into the trap and pull the lever...bam, instant dead titan (or anything else as cave ins kill everything).  Megabeasts are slow so this isn't as hard as it sounds.  Might be worth putting one near your mine shaft too in case of forgotten beast, but those are more easily avoided or special trap set up just for them.  For an added bonus, fill it with cage traps and minor sieges won't be a problem either.

Code: [Select]
. = open space
M = cliff face
W = wall (w = wall top/implied floor)
F = floor
S = support

[Z=0]                [Z+1]              [Z+2]
.WWWWWWWWWWWW       .wwwwwwwwwwww       .............
.W...........       .w...........       ..FFFFFFFFFFF
.W...WWWWWWWW       .w...wwSwwwww       ..FFF..F.....
.W...W.......       .w...w.......       ..FFF........
.W...W.......       .w...w.......       .............
MM...MMMMMMMM       MM...MMMMMMMM       MM...MMMMMMMM

Make sure you deconstruct the access stairs when you're finished (I put them next to the support and deconstruct lower) and that it's not touching the cliff face or anything else--must be supported only by that rigged support.  I have successfully used this on multiple otherwise-unkillable titans, works every time.  Obviously it takes some time to set up so I don't think it would help your current situation.

Also I suggest you save off your game occasionally, in case something really nasty like this happens you can revert to an earlier save and not lose all your work.  Some people on this forum like to QQ about that sort of thing but they're not playing your game so they can deal with it.  8)  Init options can do this automatically for you, though loading the save is a bit annoying and involeves a bit of directory-diving.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »

You're willing to cheat. Grab dfhack, spawn water and magma on the tile the Titan is on. Instant death as nothing survives being encased in obsidian (or cave-ins, or being encased in freshly-frozen ice).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »

Psieye has it.  Playing it straight, you're probably screwed unless you've got distance.  You could try walling yourself in, then setting up a cave in trap and opening that up.  It all depends on distance and pathing.

Though, I did got unaccountably lucky with a bronze colossus once.  I closed my airlock, which doesn't inherently stop them, but happened to keep it from pathing in long enough for me to deal.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »

Speaking of which, is there a limit to how many forgotten beasts can be on the map at a time?   I have three that appeared in areas that are unable to breach the fortress and was wondering just how many I could get.
igless

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »

If you want to catch it, and aren't intimidated by monkeying around with uncompressed saves, you can get rid of its [TRAPAVOID] by misspelling it and it'll be snagged by any cage trap you make.

Someone pointed me to this thread on how to do it:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55689.0

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »

Vomit? If i recall correctly liquid forgotten beasts will die easily. They will dissolve into a puddle when coming into contact with even a wooden pike or a adamantine warhammer.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:14 pm »

Speaking of which, is there a limit to how many forgotten beasts can be on the map at a time?   I have three that appeared in areas that are unable to breach the fortress and was wondering just how many I could get.

Check the community games and stories forum. At last count there were eighteen in Deepspark.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

Vomit? If i recall correctly liquid forgotten beasts will die easily. They will dissolve into a puddle when coming into contact with even a wooden pike or a adamantine warhammer.

Definitely not true. A flying blob of water killed my entire fort.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »

Well if you like science and explosions of vomit you could perform unholy magic on your weapons and try for one of those instakills (make a backup save first).  Like take the axe and add two zeros to all its stats. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »

does dfhack work with the latest version? i think it only works for 0.31.03?
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

Oh, seasonal autosave. You've saved more forts than all my greatest trap designs...
Pages: [1] 2