Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, I'm willing to cheat if I need to...  (Read 2333 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm willing to cheat if I need to...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:13 pm »

Considering saves are compatible from .03 to .04, it doesn't really matter. Even if it is not compatible for .04 per se you can run the save in .03, clear the beast, then go back to .04.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:17 pm »

Using a DFHack to spawn magma on the creature, with water surrounding it.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 09:51:47 am »

It makes me cringe in sympathy whenever I hear that people aren't saving at regular intervals. You should really turn on seasonal, or at least yearly autosaves because you really never know when the game is going to crash or throw an unkillable beast at you in the current version.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:09 am »

It makes me cringe in sympathy whenever I hear that people aren't saving at regular intervals. You should really turn on seasonal, or at least yearly autosaves because you really never know when the game is going to crash or throw an unkillable beast at you in the current version.

Before Windows 7 I would agree with you.  Now, even with compressed saves turned off, Win 7 throws a fit when I save the game.  Since I play in fullscreen mode the "This Program is not responding, blah, blah, blah" box always causes the game to drop out of fullscreen, while in the middle of saving mind you, leading to all sorts of fun and graphical anomalies.  Sure, there are ways around it (and I might be a rare example as my 3.2GHz dual-core w/ 3.38GB/4GB of RAM machine is weak by modern examples), but I'd just as soon not dance with the O.S. at the start of every season.  (Though there's always the Linux option now, I suppose.  Or even Mac if I want to watch my Mac Mini cry.) 

As for the original poster: You now have a guard dog.  Wall off the world and let your new vomit monster go to town on visiting goblins and elves.  Of course you will never see your friends from the MountainHomes again.  But that won't matter much anyway after the liaison dies and you have 15 mayors ordering the entire populace to be executed for failing to make slade bongs and crack pipes.  Just remember to not equip the Captain of the Guard with a steel battleaxe and someone might just survive.    Enjoy :)

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 12:13:23 pm »

I've got a salt blob locked out of my fort at the moment.  He's starting to get annoying with the whole killing caravans and migrant issues (although I can usually let some of the migrants in).  I may just magma hack him (or try the axe-boost trick), but what I would really like to do is trap him on a platform with walls on 3 sides and use him for artillery practice.  Dwarven science demands that we know if siege operators gain more experience firing at a live target.  It also demands that we know if heavier rocks make better catapult ammo, but I don't know if I'll actually be able to figure that out with a blob.  It would be a great use for large quantities of captives though.
Pages: 1 [2]