Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered  (Read 13001 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest piece of fiction you ever encountered
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »

a few things were really good that i have enjoyed. first there is a LP of animal crossing DS
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/index.html

second is clock tower for the SNES

and third is penumbra overture. you spend the whole game trying to avoid monsters that you cant really fight effectively and that can easily kill you in the search of some guy who has been isolated for way too long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45:57 pm »

I wish you could hear me growling right now.  I haaate finding alternative interpretations of literature, mainly as a holdover from gradeschool, where whatever interpretation I came up with was always "wrong".  College literature I've done better with, but mostly because the professors were cooler.

Yeah I love how you can only interpret a piece of literature one way or it's wrong on the test.

... I have no idea why I've never had this problem, but it seems like everyone else I know has.  Weird.  I've gotten some complaints of "reading too deep" (i.e. stretching morsels into more than they should be), but none of this sort of trouble with my interpretations.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »

That.  That right there.  Extrapolating paper's worth of hidden meaning from tiny details, until you "know" more about the meaning of the story than the author did.  I'm a literalist.  When I approach a story, if the meaning isn't expressly clear, it isn't there.  Oh I can maybe piece together hidden themes and rhythms in a story, I appreciate that every word has a purpose, but I'm never confident in what I think I see, because I don't like psychoanalyzing the author.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:20 pm »

Hehe, I had to write a 3 page reaction to a 1 page poem...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »

I had issues here and there in English classes, and I successfully got a BA in writing.  I'm also a literalist, I hate trying to think up fancy allegories or metaphors for something that works just fine literally.  Poetry was painful beyond words, except for Robert Frost and Shel Silverstein stuff.  Give me poems about a wintry apocalypse or Capt. Hook failing at opening sardine cans (respectively) any day.  I always had the "wrong" interpretation, even when I could support it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

Why is it that the most important thing you learn from assignments like that is how to fill up pages with absolutely nothing?

"In the story I shall be analyzing in this analysis (that is, "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck, who also wrote The Grapes of Wrath and is well known throughout the world due to his amazing books, which include Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath) has a lot of things to analyze which I will now proceed to analyze."

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:00:19 pm by Jackrabbit »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 07:59:30 pm »

English: Anime Directing 101

timbojones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »

I probably read The Shining too young.  I couldn't piss with my back to the bathtub for years after that.

System Shock 2.  I was playing it in my bedroom in my comfortable college apartment in the middle of a  beautiful sunny day with the curtains open.  I consciously registered my roommate unlocking the front door and opening it, and I knew it had an auto-closing mechanism, but SS2 had me so on edge that I still jumped out of my chair when the front door slammed shut. "Join us... we are one..."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 08:57:24 pm »

I'm not easily creeped out by things in games as much as I was in my childhood, but playing some F.E.A.R., there's one level that you're just making your way into a refinement facility or something, and there's a series of ladders that go deep down into the place at the beginning of the level. It seems okay for a good moment or 2, and then you reach the last ladder and Alma is standing right there just as you are heading down, and waiting for you at the bottom is a demonic shadowy thing as well.

Although they don't harm you at all, I wasted some ammo on the shadow, and got slightly freaked out by Alma's sudden appearance at the top of the ladder while you're unarmed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »

FEAR is another game I don't have the nerve to play, oh well.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »

I remember having a copy of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was little.
Strangely enough, I didn't find it creepy at all.
Of course, I had an actual human skull at around the same time.
So... yeah.
Meanwhile, at around the same age, I couldn't watch Raiders of the Lost Ark but found the other two Indiana Jones movies quite enthralling.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »

Actually, here's another piece of fiction I find terrifying.

Anything Doctor Who episode Steven Moffat writes.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 10:44:06 pm »

Actually, here's another piece of fiction I find terrifying.

Anything Doctor Who episode Steven Moffat writes.
He's the same guy that came up with those angels from the episode "Blink", right? The concept of those is rather freaky. They move when not seen. Even when you... wait for it... blink. The Vashtanerada (or however it's spelled) are also a scary/annoying concept. Shady intelligent micro-organisms that live among the shadows, can eat a person in a flash. Count the shadows.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 10:45:32 pm »

And now we learn that staring at the angels will kill you just as dead if you look them in the eye.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »

Those two episodes are among my favourites.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8