Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utility of Artifact Armour  (Read 4975 times)

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utility of Artifact Armour
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:24:01 am »

with the reworked materials in 2010, how usefull are artifact weapons and armours?  Is say a Giant rat artifact shield more protective than a steel masterwork?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Utility of Artifact Armour
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:22 am »

No, I believe masterwork weapons and armor are at the same level as artifact ones. the primary diference is the untradability and the increased value of artifacts.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:52:26 am »

I'm pretty sure that an artifact is more powerful/protective than anything that can be normally made of the same material, no matter the quality modifier. Now, an artifact Giant Rat leather shield might not be as protective as a masterwork steel shield, but it's probably very close.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:28 am »

Artifact weapons and armor have a 3x skill multiplier instead of a masterwork's 2x. They are otherwise the same as masterworks except that artifacts are worth much more and cannot be traded. Artifacts in future versions of DF may eventually carry magical effects. I don't know the effects of semi-artifact (named) weapons.

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:39 am »

Artifact weapons and armor have a 3x skill multiplier instead of a masterwork's 2x. They are otherwise the same as masterworks except that artifacts are worth much more and cannot be traded. Artifacts in future versions of DF may eventually carry magical effects. I don't know the effects of semi-artifact (named) weapons.

Many thanks, I'd actually hoped it was more than that, I've fond memories from 2d of using artifacts to cut colossi in twain.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14:11 am »

On this note, anyone yet had a unit equip an artifact in the current version?

Rawchief

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

On this note, anyone yet had a unit equip an artifact in the current version?

I started playing about a month ago.  In one of my first forts, a dwarf made an artifact that was an iron axe.  I had my militia commander equip it.  Unfortunately, I did not no how to get my military dwarfs to train yet and when the first goblin ambush arrived in the 2nd year, my military was soundly beaten.  The commander had her legs broken and tumbled down a z-level and was immobile while the goblins killed everyone else.  She was one of the last to die. 

But at least I had the last laugh.  I had one surviving dwarf in the heart of the fortress that the goblins came after last.  Once they were all in the fort, I locked the doors and had my dwarf pull my fortress self destruct lever.  Opened the floodgates to my cistern and flooded my whole fortress drowning the goblins and my last dwarf.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:03 pm »

yeah, I was able to get my dwarves to wear artifacts.  I was able to specifically assign an adamantine short sword and an electrum pick normally, but an artifact backpack was picked up automatically.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:56:19 pm »

I had one surviving dwarf in the heart of the fortress that the goblins came after last.  Once they were all in the fort, I locked the doors and had my dwarf pull my fortress self destruct lever.  Opened the floodgates to my cistern and flooded my whole fortress drowning the goblins and my last dwarf.

I don't understand this. My fortress has hundreds of ways for individual survivors to, well, survive. Why'd your last one die? You couldn't designate a burrow and restrict him to it quick enough? Did you make your dining hall too decorative?

Meh, anyway, Artifacts are still super powered compared to mundane counterparts. The problem is that mundane stuff isn't as powerful.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »

I had one surviving dwarf in the heart of the fortress that the goblins came after last.  Once they were all in the fort, I locked the doors and had my dwarf pull my fortress self destruct lever.  Opened the floodgates to my cistern and flooded my whole fortress drowning the goblins and my last dwarf.

I don't understand this. My fortress has hundreds of ways for individual survivors to, well, survive. Why'd your last one die?

Here's a hint: HIS DOESN'T.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

Yes, generally, when something flies up that well trapped stairwell staggered across and isn't straight up and down, ignoring all the traps and arriving in the dining area to do just that, it can be hard to stop... Telling the dwarfs to burrow and "lock a door" doesn't stop big beasts from politely knocking (the door down) before entering.

I lost a dining room filled with gold statues, tables and thrones before the military put a stop to the madness.  Dwarfs dropped stuff and ran in every different direction and I was spammed with numerous messages like "Urist McRecruit cancels drink--interrupted by Honest Abe the Forgotten beast of Illinois" or something like that.  Despite the fact he was supposed to be fighting.

igless

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »

Yes, generally, when something flies up that well trapped stairwell staggered across and isn't straight up and down, ignoring all the traps and arriving in the dining area to do just that, it can be hard to stop... Telling the dwarfs to burrow and "lock a door" doesn't stop big beasts from politely knocking (the door down) before entering.

I lost a dining room filled with gold statues, tables and thrones before the military put a stop to the madness.  Dwarfs dropped stuff and ran in every different direction and I was spammed with numerous messages like "Urist McRecruit cancels drink--interrupted by Honest Abe the Forgotten beast of Illinois" or something like that.  Despite the fact he was supposed to be fighting.

at least the slackers were in the dining room and couldn't wait till they were the last survivors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:31 am »

Here's a hint: HIS DOESN'T.

His fortress had the ability for a single survivor to pull a lever. Unless you set it up so that area gets flooded first, you should have a few seconds to get a dwarf to safety. He wouldn't pull the lever if there was a monster nearby.

I think he was just lazy and didn't want to rebuild from one dwarf, so he let the whole thing die.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:29 am »

Does it really matter?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

Think of it this way--Armok had more dwarfen souls to feast on.

I think an unhappy thought should be added to dwarfs--like "Urist is upset his wife was eaten and excreted recently"
igless
Pages: [1] 2