Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979174 times)

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New Square Wall Alt Tileset)
« Reply #855 on: April 04, 2011, 01:06:43 am »

I'm giving a try to a new style of wall transitions (walls that end near rough stone): (edit version to the right)

Too bad we can't use them for wall-ending pillars. :(

Zoomed X2: (edit version to the right)

The only difference I can see is a slight thickness increase on the corner walls center line. Argh my brain hurts after trying to spot any difference, like a nasty spot the difference picture set where you cant find any differences.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Seconded.  They look exactly the same to me.  I suspect Phoebus accidentally pasted the image twice
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New Square Wall Alt Tileset)
« Reply #857 on: April 04, 2011, 01:56:48 am »

I'm giving a try to a new style of wall transitions (walls that end near rough stone): (edit version to the right)

Too bad we can't use them for wall-ending pillars. :(

Zoomed X2: (edit version to the right)

The only difference I can see is a slight thickness increase on the corner walls center line. Argh my brain hurts after trying to spot any difference, like a nasty spot the difference picture set where you cant find any differences.
Both differences are (very) subtle, the second difference is in the very thin walls that connects the walls and the pillars, near the top it's ~0.5 pixel thicker in the right picture, very hard to see thanks to the anti-aliasing.
In retrospect, I was OCDing fiercely when I did that change.

Talking of which, I really would like if Toady added this feature:
In d_init.txt:
[WALL_TRANSITION:?] controls which tile is drawn when a wall section is only adjacent to one other wall section.

[WALL_TRANSITION:ON]
Works as it does right now. Pillar tile by default, with one of 8 wall transitions to rough walls when applicable.

[WALL_TRANSITION:PILLAR] (or 'OFF')
Walls always end using the pillar tile. Frees 8 tiles.

[WALL_TRANSITION:WALL]
Ignores rough walls. Selected tile is only dependent on the direction of the adjacent wall.
If the adjacent wall is to the south, it's tile 183. West: 184. North: 189. East: 190.
Frees 4 tiles. Never uses the pillar tile as a wall ender. Looks much nicer.

*dreamy eyes*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:11:07 am by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are the "fine quality" symbol and the "floor" symbol inseperable? The new floors are nice, but I like the + sign for quality more than I like the floor for quality.

I don't know if this is because of the init file (above) or not.

And underground plants were already identifiable by color alone :P
Yes, both smoothed/engraved floor tiles and the fine quality symbol are hardcoded, as are most things in the game beside creatures, minerals & plants.

Okay, would you kindly direct me in how to change the floors back to the + symbol then?
You'll need a image editor with alpha transparency support (like GIMP).
Grab an old tileset, copy the new tiles over.
Recently changed tiles: 0 (chasm), 1&2 (dead dorfs), 18 (berry bush), 28&29 (small shrooms), 32 (space/sky), 126&141 (sand tiles), 151,152&154 (dead goblin, elf & kobold), 181&198 (sideway stools), 238 (pot), 247 (sand tile again), 248 (eggs), 250 (low sky), 252 (long grass), 253 (severed body parts), 255 (dead trees)
I think that's it.

Or you could just copy the only floor over to the new tileset, but remember that many other tiles use the new smooth floor as their background.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:55:28 am by Phoebus »

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was wondering if these are the final (or at least for the next several updates) models for all remains since I liked the previous version much more in terms of being able to differentiate vermin remains from useful remains that could be used for crafts, also blue shells seems really weird.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are the "fine quality" symbol and the "floor" symbol inseperable? The new floors are nice, but I like the + sign for quality more than I like the floor for quality.

I don't know if this is because of the init file (above) or not.

And underground plants were already identifiable by color alone :P
Yes, both smoothed/engraved floor tiles and the fine quality symbol are hardcoded, as are most things in the game beside creatures, minerals & plants.

Okay, would you kindly direct me in how to change the floors back to the + symbol then?
You'll need a image editor with alpha transparency support (like GIMP).
Grab an old tileset, copy the new tiles over.
Recently changed tiles: 0 (chasm), 1&2 (dead dorfs), 18 (berry bush), 28&29 (small shrooms), 32 (space/sky), 126&141 (sand tiles), 151,152&154 (dead goblin, elf & kobold), 181&198 (sideway stools), 238 (pot), 247 (sand tile again), 248 (eggs), 250 (low sky), 252 (long grass), 253 (severed body parts), 255 (dead trees)
I think that's it.

Or you could just copy the only floor over to the new tileset, but remember that many other tiles use the new smooth floor as their background.

Right. But my problem is I can't find where the floor tiles are in the first place. You appear to have left it out of your numbered list above.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right. But my problem is I can't find where the floor tiles are in the first place. You appear to have left it out of your numbered list above.
In this thread, first post on page 56 has the tiles.  You can see the + used for the floor about a third of the way in from the right edge, 2nd or 3rd row down from the top.  It looks like it is on a grey diamond on a black background.  That is the old floor tile.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In this thread, first post on page 56 has the tiles.  You can see the + used for the floor about a third of the way in from the right edge, 2nd or 3rd row down from the top.  It looks like it is on a grey diamond on a black background.  That is the old floor tile.

Aha. Thanks. Here's the modified set if anyone else wants the old floors back:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:51:34 pm by veok »

seanb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey guys, what's the difference between the "preinstalled package" and the "lazy newb pack"?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Lazy Newb pack has other programs with it -- DFHack and Therapist at least, while the preinstalled Phoebus graphics are just the DF game.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was wondering if these are the final (or at least for the next several updates) models for all remains since I liked the previous version much more in terms of being able to differentiate vermin remains from useful remains that could be used for crafts, also blue shells seems really weird.
Here's the latest tileset with the bones tile replaced with the old version. Rename and place at the correct location: "/data/art/"

About the shells, I don't think it's possible to change their color, at least I don't know how. Maybe mussel shells just are blue.

And here's a version with the new bones, but transformed to greyscale (no red bits.)

On this subject, which version of the bones does everyone prefer? (old) Bones 'n Skull, (new) Bones 'n Blood, or (greyscaled) Just Bones?
Unless someone changes my mind, I'm going for the greyscaled 'Just Bones' look new update.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:27:12 pm by Phoebus »

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep up the good work. this pack is amazing

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile

About the shells, I don't think it's possible to change their color, at least I don't know how. Maybe mussel shells just are blue.

Mussel shells can indeed be blue, as displayed by Wikipedia.

EDIT: That made me think of tyrian purple. Would be nice to have in the game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:31:51 am by Raging Mouse »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've made new barrels! :P

Anything about the new ones (right) you don't like?

Keep up the good work. this pack is amazing
Thanks. <3

Mussel shells can indeed be blue, as displayed by Wikipedia.

EDIT: That made me think of tyrian purple. Would be nice to have in the game.
Thank you for confirming.

About Tyrian Purple, I can't really replace the current magenta with that, as it's used for gems and a few plants.
But creature tilesets could use that color, for admins for example, thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:09:14 am by Phoebus »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps brighten them up just a tad? The barrels, that is. Might be my laptop, but they look a bit dark. Other than that, they look seksi.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 140