Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979146 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps brighten them up just a tad? The barrels, that is. Might be my laptop, but they look a bit dark. Other than that, they look seksi.
I'll see what I can do, but my options are very limited.
The new barrel is fully reversible. The version currently displayed is drawn from the transparency of the tile only. When the game draws the barrel using the foreground color instead (pumps), the barrel would be nearly identical but with the light coming from the SE instead of the NW. For most pixels on the barrel, if I make one version brighter the other will get darker.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:25:25 am by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New version of the barrel.
Old Barrel / First Version / Latest Version

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow! Thats a beautiful improvement!

Quick question. How does the wall engravings work? The .png is one flat layer right? Is it a tilemagic trick? It's been hurting my brain trying to work it out.

edit: Oops, ninja'd in ironhands thread!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Aydjile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh yes, i like the latest version.

also i would add - in my opinion, it looks a bit wide on the sides. due to the barrel's top cover - looking a third smaller, than it's walls.
i would advice to  make top ring in single dark brown line. or add gray lines for iron support stripes. and make barrel looks "closed". its an storage item after all.
also it would be fine idea to add plug or faucet on the side. so players would not get impression that dwarf have to take whole barrel in to the air, to take a drink or get another fluids. its more practical and more common sense imho.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:58:08 am by Aydjile »
Reality exists is only in our imagination.

Мой канал о жизни крепостей из Дварф Фортресс - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aydjile

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the contrast between the browns on the barrel could stand to be increased, as the newer barrels look, for lack of a better term, "fuzzier" than the original on the left.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

also i would add - in my opinion, it looks a bit wide on the sides. due to the barrel's top cover - looking a third smaller, than it's walls.
i would advice to  make top ring in single dark brown line. or add gray lines for iron support stripes. and make barrel looks "closed". its an storage item after all.
also it would be fine idea to add plug or faucet on the side. so players would not get impression that dwarf have to take whole barrel in to the air, to take a drink or get another fluids. its more practical and more common sense imho.
Tilting the top gives you a better angle for a thiner looking wall.. Didn't do the metal ring part because I don't know how that would effect things with barrels being able to be many colours..

I kinda like the non tilted version more though. As for the tap, that just isn't very dwarvy at all! I imagine they dip their beards into the barrel to wick the booze up with, sucking at the beards hairs around the mouth.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile

I like those new-lighter barrel Phoebus, it sure is a quality improvement you should include in the next update. It has excellent shading, even for a light object, and I'd be able to clearly distinguish that it is a barrel now.

DO A BARRELROLL, DO A BARRELROLL DO A BARRELROLL DO A BARRELROLL DO A BARRELROLL DO A-....

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile

Thank you for confirming.

About Tyrian Purple, I can't really replace the current magenta with that, as it's used for gems and a few plants.
But creature tilesets could use that color, for admins for example, thanks for the suggestion.

In a way, the colour is already in-game; nobles are what colour again? :)

What I meant was, it would be cool if we could actually produce said dye, by milling sea snails and letting them ferment in a barrel together with lye. (That's the approximate process as far as I can gather -see Wikipedia! I was basically being wistful; it wasn't really aimed at you.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

That doesn't seem hard, either.

Barrell + Lye + Shells -> Dye

Simple reaction.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v06] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New barrel & reworked some plants)
« Reply #879 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:56 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v06
Upgraded the barrel tile.
Reduced the size of saplings a bit.
The red part of the new remains/bones tile has been whitened.
The tile for Fungiwood & Spore Trees has been changed.
Roots & weeds have been moved back to the shrub tile, a few plants had their color slightly adjusted.
I've fixed Tropical & Conifer forests on the world map.
Fixed a few backgrounds here and there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:51:56 pm by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v06] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New barrel & reworked some plants)
« Reply #880 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »

I did a minor modification the the 'ring' of the barrel to make its walls seem less flat, and just pushed the update as is.
My (many) other tries to further improve the barrel have failed.

The top of the latest version is already supposed to look closed.  :-\
A faucet would be either too small to be noticeable/identifiable or ridiculously large for the size of the barrel (well, at my drawing skill level anyway), and barrels are not just used for booze. I agree it could look cool.
Your other suggestion will require almost a complete redrawing of the tile, I'm not going there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:26:53 pm by Phoebus »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:08 pm »

Phoebus, you might want to double-check the tile for Fungiwood. In my modified v5 version, they're showing up as deciduous trees instead of mushrooms. Not sure if it's just in my game.

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:12 pm »

Hi,
I'm new on the forums and new in DF generally. I just came by to comment on the tileset :)

First of all, it's possibly the best tileset out there (in my opinion) and I simply love it. I wouldn't be able to play DF without it ;)
But the latest changes don't appeal to me somehow.
The new barrel is great, just yesterday I was thinking that the barrels would need a new tile ;)
I also like the new egg/snow/foam tile.

But I'm not sure about the new sand and water tiles. Also walls.
It's just my opinion, but I think that sand stands out too much now in contrast to clay for example. I always use the "Meld" tileset and perhaps it's more visible there.
Also, the new walls, I kinda feel that enything remotely 3D somehow doesn't fit in DF. It also looks a bit awkward on bridges...but that's no biggie I edit my own "Meld" version with classic walls :)

Also, Phoebus, about your question about the bones. I think both are good, the old ones seem a little off, but with some shading the might be even better than the new ones. And imho, no blood if you decide to use the new ones. Color difference is quite important here I believe.

Nonetheless, great job! I realy like your work

Phoebus, you might want to double-check the tile for Fungiwood. In my modified v5 version, they're showing up as deciduous trees instead of mushrooms. Not sure if it's just in my game.

I confirm, Fungiwood is no longer a mushroom, but a tree now. Maybe it's supposed to be that way? ;p

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »

Yes, I've changed both fungiwood and spore tree to non-mushroom tiles.
I should have noted that specifically in the update notes. I often make changes without noting them down and end up forgetting them when I write the change notes.  :-\
I've always been uncertain over the true nature of fungiwood & spore trees, and whether it's better for all fungi trees to use the large cap tile or for those two to use alternate tiles to represent their 'non-large-cap' nature.

Mushrooms are merely the reproductive organ of fungi; fungi themselves are a network of roots living in something, and they don't all reproduce with large mushrooms.
The original tile selected by Toady to display Fungiwood & Spore Tree was not the same as the other mushroom trees, it was the same as many deciduous trees.
I thus presumed that they are both not single large mushrooms, but complex colonies of smaller/micro mushroom sprouts, hence the deciduous tree tile.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:54:11 pm by Phoebus »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 05, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »

I'd say to make Fungiwood and Towercaps to be a regular tree trunk, but instead of branches and leaves, it'll have a single large mushroom head on them; perhaps even colored different depending upon the species.  Just a thought, atleast.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 140