Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Talk Carp.  (Read 4561 times)

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Let's Talk Carp.
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:04:24 am »

Carp.

If you've been playing DF for over a month and a half, you knew carp. You feared carp. If you weren't incredibly careful, you'd have an aquatic massacre on your hands. Carp could;
-Survive on land for a disproportionately long time.
-Deal three times the damage of an unarmed dwarf.
-Flat-out haul your thirsty dwarves into the depths to drown them.

Carp were the worst kind of vicious animal, because where there was one, there were another twenty. I don't care to count how many fledgling fortresses I had crumble on me due to forgetting to do everything in my power to make my dwarves not go near the water. However, as we all know, Toady scaled back their damage, made them less populous, and most importantly removed that incredible tendency for violent aggression they had. Now, carp are mostly docile creatures who, it seems, only really attack in self-defense, preferring instead to swim away. They're now just another type of wildlife.

Be all this as it may, I sort of miss our old aquatic foe. It's great that what might have been a great bastion of dwarven civilization isn't being undone in its infancy by a school of overgrown tuna, but without carp as a threat, I feel like there's no reason to avoid freshwater rivers and lakes anymore. It removed some of the arbitrary, almost superstitious sense of danger I got when mucking about redirecting rivers and draining lakes to suit my whims needs.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Carp.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:16:14 am »

Let's ask Toady to toss in a new fantasy creature or somesuch in their place. It certainly is an improvement that carp aren't broken.

Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:20:15 am »

I dont know about every one else, but im quite glad to see the job interuption spams leading to five drowned legendary miners gone.
But yes, it seems the carp has gone much the way of the elephant.  However lets not let the carp's History die!
im designating a engraving of a rendition of a cheese in there honor.
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:22 am »

For myself: while I enjoy the nostalgic memories of DF bugs and unintended features, I think it is very important to recognize that you should want the game to change, and these problems to be fixed. We should all want a better, improving DF, not one that remains static so that we can indulge in pointless nostalgia.

I recognize that things must move forward, and that there are enough dangerous things in other areas to keep us occupied [Jabberer, I'm looking at you]. I was intending more to state that the water seems a little too safe. While there are beasts in the oceans, they're few and far between, while there's no real threat lurking in freshwater areas anymore. Yes, carp are definitely not the monsters of legend they turned into due to bugs, but it added a challenge to obtaining/moving water. Or course, now that farms must be irrigated to be viable, it's definitely a good thing that I don't have to worry about killer fish grabbing the dwarf or dwarves carrying out that job.

I guess I just want a little more danger in the non-subterranean waters now that the scaly threat is gone. Maybe Giant Toads and the like could have a small chance to spawn in murky pools aboveground.

However lets not let the carp's History die!

A good solution. Engravings all around. Maybe someone could make a sort of insert like they did with Cacame Awemedinade for old-school carp.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:39:06 am by ReverseWill »
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:44:29 am »

I haven't actually seen a carp in the new version yet (due, perhaps, to a deep-seated reluctance to approach water?) so I don't know if they are actually significantly different.

Is it merely that carp no longer cause as much cancel spam and/or suicide rushing? Or perhaps that teeth are currently bugged to be as tough as skin (until the hopefully eventually material rewrite)?

Because those traits seemed to be the main killers in 40d.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:33:37 am »

I will commision a mosiac of clear glass and obsidian in the form of our vicious fisher mauler, but im still glad the bug is gone now. While it made some hilarious stories and dwarfy deaths, the cancelation messages and the uninhabitability of rivers got annoying quickly. And what Architect said, the game has to move on.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:56 am »

Carp and Elephants made for some hilarious stories but they were a pain in the ass when you were actually trying to build a working fortress. But keep in mind that we now have enemies who are even more deadly than Carp, and they're unkillable at the moment. If you've ever run into a glass beast with poison dust breath you know what I mean. Even at their most deadly Carp and Elephants never spread poison clouds that killed every living creature within 20 tiles and continued to kill via residues even after they were gone. Our new enemies are much more deadly. And as if those weren't enough, there are even more deadly enemies than those down there in the you-know-what.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:57 am »

It's funny the first few times your fort gets murdered by fish but really it gets old fast.  It just makes the early game irritating and tedious, instead there are far more dangerous things around for you find in the later/late game instead of having a budding fort sank by overgrown guppies over and over again.

My experience with carp is minimal so I may be biased, but I'm glad I don't have to constantly babysit dwarves around a river in the new version.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:42:56 am »

Let's ask Toady to toss in a new fantasy creature or somesuch in their place. It certainly is an improvement that carp aren't broken.

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThrowItIn
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:59 pm »

Not to mention turbo water pressure and such. But elephants were tamed and became a recurrent, but dead, meme. Carp might face the same fate, and currently we have the bronze colossus immortality meme showing up. I think DF should move foward indeed.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »

The final 40d fort I did had a carp problem. And I mean in the past tense. I built a system of floodgates and pumps so I could drain the entire river whenever I wanted. So I'd let it refill, wait for carp to spawn, then murder them all over and over again. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

My first "notable" carp experience was on that map with the 30+ level waterfall into a big river infested with carp and hippos. I embarked with my dwarves at the top of the cliff, by the stream that drops all the way down to the major river below. My starting seven got to work as I sent miners up along the stream towards the cliff to dig out some stairs. A miner strays a bit too close to the stream...
Then suddenly, BAM, a carp flies out and drags him back into the stream in the blink of an eye before me. The river suddenly turns red as I'm still figuring out what's going on. There's blood everywhere in the turbulent waters and the massive waterfall is red.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »

Isn't it possible to....mod it? I mean, I don't know a thing about modding, but compared to some of the crazy shit I read about I don't think making fish strong and homicidal is really too big a stretch.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

Piranhas? They can be the new carp.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:41:48 pm »

Piranhas? They can be the new carp.

I'd make a James Bond execution chamber with piranhas and sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!
Pages: [1] 2 3