Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What programming topic would you want the next challenge to be about?  (It might be a good opportunity to focus on a subject you're not familiar with or to reinforce knowledge on one that you already know)

Control Flow
- 2 (2.2%)
Arrays, Strings, Pointers, and References
- 8 (9%)
Functions
- 4 (4.5%)
Basic object-oriented programming
- 30 (33.7%)
A bit more advanced OOP (Composition, Operator overloading, Inheritance, Virtual Functions)
- 18 (20.2%)
Templates
- 8 (9%)
Other (Explain)
- 4 (4.5%)
Working with files?  (Streams)
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78

Author Topic: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative  (Read 95941 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative
« Reply #705 on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

Double post for no reason:
Anyone know of a reasonably good but mostly fast pseudorandom algorithm that "reseeds" instantly?
I'm not looking for Seed->get->get->get, but for a Seed->get, Seed->get, Seed->get kind of thing.

My current one yields... boring results. The textures are fine but my landscape is just sleep-inducing.
Don't you think that a pseudorandom algorithm isn't what you want? Pseudorandom kind of implies generating a string of numbers, which is where time is going to be wasted in your case.
I know that Delphi has a nice thing like "initialization randomize" which is going to make your random take numbers out of the system clock, but I don't... think I've met that elsewhere. Although, that might be where Pseudorandom Generators take their seeds, I don't know anything about them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 22, 2010, 04:47:08 pm »

No, I want seeded pseudorandom.

If you start the application, it creates a texture from a seed.
The next time you start it, I want that exact texture again.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 22, 2010, 05:41:51 pm »

If you've got a good pseudorandom algorithm then seed->get->get->get should be exactly as random as seed->get->seed->get->seed->get, save for the situation in which you want the first seed to be the same and the rest to differ (in which seed->get->seed->get->get ought to work). Are you sure you're not just looking for a pseudorandom function with a different kind of distribution? For that matter, what are you trying to do anyway that you'll need to reseed things over and over again?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:58 pm »

If you've got a good pseudorandom algorithm then seed->get->get->get should be exactly as random as seed->get->seed->get->seed->get, save for the situation in which you want the first seed to be the same and the rest to differ (in which seed->get->seed->get->get ought to work). Are you sure you're not just looking for a pseudorandom function with a different kind of distribution? For that matter, what are you trying to do anyway that you'll need to reseed things over and over again?
It's not just about results, it's about speed, too.
I'm using a lot of x,y coordinates as seeds (using a x*512+y+seed, for instance). I'm thinking I should just pick a seed, then map an x-by-y array, and use that until I'm done with it. Pre-calculate the random numbers, and then start transformations... That should speed up trix.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 22, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »

I'm thinking I should just pick a seed, then map an x-by-y array, and use that until I'm done with it.

This. It's almost never worth reseeding unless you have a specific reason to do so as it doesn't actually gain you anything and just burns cycles. Syncing with another system is one of the few times you might need to, why are you reseeding?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 23, 2010, 06:06:07 am »

Err. About Java drawing again (in hope for helpful hints). I've figured out it might be a good idea to import these things:
Code: [Select]
import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.Dimension;
import java.awt.Graphics;
import java.awt.Graphics2D;
import java.awt.Point;
import java.awt.event.MouseEvent;
import java.awt.event.MouseMotionListener;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
and either JComponent or Canvas. Both of which should be extended to incude BufferedImage and taught to render it via a Graphics2D object (but I haven't been able to determine how it knows where to draw and how to output the drawing to the screen). Then I need to have a TopComponent extended to have a canvas, and I will probably want to have a timer, but how the program know to render them to the screen, has escaped me so far.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:21 am »

This. It's almost never worth reseeding unless you have a specific reason to do so as it doesn't actually gain you anything and just burns cycles. Syncing with another system is one of the few times you might need to, why are you reseeding?
Suppose I have a material. Its colour, weight, texture, hardness, shinyness all of those things are determined randomly, from a "seed" that's in that material. Now I do this for an x number of materials, etc, and don't store the results. Maybe I should.

Also I've been using some highly inefficient perlin noise copy-pasta that seeds all the effing time, about 32 times seeding per pixel, for a 512x512 texture. That has to be rewritten anyway.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 23, 2010, 09:59:37 am »

Suppose I have a material. Its colour, weight, texture, hardness, shinyness all of those things are determined randomly, from a "seed" that's in that material. Now I do this for an x number of materials, etc, and don't store the results. Maybe I should.
Oooh. I don't know if that's appropriate here, but please pretty please tell more about your project!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 23, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

Also I've been using some highly inefficient perlin noise copy-pasta that seeds all the effing time, about 32 times seeding per pixel, for a 512x512 texture. That has to be rewritten anyway.
That only matters if you're going to create the materials in a non-constant order, because if the order is constant, then you could just run trough the string of values created by the random number generator and use each of them sequentially. Another option would be to take a hash function with 2 inputs and feed it an identifier for the material and a random number generated beforehand which acts like a seed (of course hash functions come pretty close to psuedorandom functions, so that may not count).

Edit: A linear congruential generator is probably the cheapest random number generator one can implement, so if you're anal for performance and not to picky about the randomness of your numbers, look into that.
Edit2: Multiply with carry looks promising as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:51:16 am by Virex »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 23, 2010, 04:45:53 pm »

The order is random: I'm doing everything "on the fly". Or trying, at least. Therefore anal on performance, yes.
I'll look into those, thanks. I'll have to optimise the way I use them first, but then I can try out a few and see what results they give.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »

Have you tried profiling your application yet? It may be that you're optimizing in the wrong place, since generating random numbers isn't that expensive.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 23, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »

I'm doing something even worse: optimising before it's done.

It runs like a charm now (just the texturegenerating is slow, but I also know why), so I'm not really begging for cpu cycles. So far. It's ambitious.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 23, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »

How do I make a function call another function then close itself?

I was thinking of chaining rooms together this way:

void room3();

void room2();

void room1();

void main()
{
room1()
}

void room1()
{
char x;
cin >> x;
if (x == "n")
room2();
else if (x == "s")
room3();
}

void room2()
{
char x;
cin >> x;
if (x == "n")
room3();
else if (x == "s")
room1();
}

void room3()
{
char x;
cin >> x;
if (x == "n")
room1();
else if (x == "s")
room2();
}

But this would make the program allocate more and more memory for each move, eventually causing it to take up incredible amounts of space. What should I do?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 23, 2010, 05:11:28 pm »

Look up if your compiler does Tail recursion. If it does, you're fine (gcc does it IIRC); you won't run out of stack space this way. Else, you're probably screwed. anyway, best way is to test it: Run a non-tail recursive function until it breaks (by taking a tail recursive function and adding something to the end of it, past the last call), then run a tail recursive function for some time more then it took the normal function to break (make sure to build in a termination clause or else your computer will hang)

Oh and remember to set your compiler to optimize for speed (some may not do tail recursion in the most conservative cases). Debug version should not make a difference (or maybe it does for imperative languages?), but if you get a stack overflow when you really shouldn't, consider compiling to distribution version and see if that hangs too, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:18:51 pm by Virex »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:47 pm »

If I'm getting it right, this

unsigned int f( unsigned int a ) {
   if ( a == 0 ) {
      return a;
   }
   return f( a - 1 );   // tail recursion
}

Is tail recursion. Would this work even if the return statement calls another function (say, int g())?

And if I chain, say a hundred of these (non-recursively) would that cause any trouble?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78