Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Neck breaking should be an instant death  (Read 6965 times)

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
Neck breaking should be an instant death
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:27 pm »

Because breaking your neck [most of the time]snaps your spine which kills you.
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
Re: Neck breaking should be an instant death
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10:08 am »

Because breaking your neck [most of the time]snaps your spine which kills you.

I believe you've said yourself why this suggestion wouldn't work.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:57:12 am »

Well, actually, it would since wounds have changed to physics-based handling. Just check the severity of the break and do a random.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:16:41 am »

This is a major oversimplification.  To begin with, cervical fractures don't always injure the spinal cord.  And when they do, the prognosis ranges from quick suffocation (complete injury high on the neck) to paraplegia (complete injury low on the neck) to partial loss of sensation and/or motor control.  I suggest everyone skim through this article.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:31 am »

It's not a major oversimplification. Consider that the [THOUGHT] center controls all other organs, and [NERVOUS] tissue provides a connection from [THOUGHT] to everything else. There can be a system where damage to [NERVOUS] tissue propagates down the "nerve tree", choosing branches randomly and striking different amounts of connections proportionate to the amount of damage received. Thus, a hit that breaks the spine in a way that damages the spinal cord, will plausibly cause varied amounts of disability, randomly affecting a few organs in case of average damage, and causing guaranteed instant death on severing or severe damage.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:44:58 am »

It's not a major oversimplification.

That was directed at the idea in the OP: "breaking your neck [most of the time]snaps your spine which kills you."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:59 am »

Well, that's not much of an oversimplification either. Hollywood Physics (or is it Hollywood Biology?) dictate that if you break your neck, you're dead.

Because the alternative of having creatures with broken necks pounce and tackle you is worse than simplifying the processes involved.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:04 am »

Actually, your spine can totally lose contact with your skull without hurting your spine at all. Also, even when spine is damaged you wouldn't necessarily die, you could get away with as little as hemiplegia alternans inferior.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:25 am »

Well, that's not much of an oversimplification either. Hollywood Physics (or is it Hollywood Biology?) dictate that if you break your neck, you're dead.

And Hollywood doesn't oversimplify things (Or flat out ignore facts)?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:49:18 am »

They do. That's the whole point. Realism or no realism, people are somewhat used to "neck broken=dead", largely due to the portrayal in action movies. I'd much rather have exaggerated neck injuries than breaking the neck having, like, no effect at all. Which is what happens now. If you make the neck a joint, so that it can be broken by wrestling the head, you won't be able to break it that way at all. The command appears, but has no effect.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:00:21 am »

They do. That's the whole point. Realism or no realism, people are somewhat used to "neck broken=dead", largely due to the portrayal in action movies. I'd much rather have exaggerated neck injuries than breaking the neck having, like, no effect at all. Which is what happens now. If you make the neck a joint, so that it can be broken by wrestling the head, you won't be able to break it that way at all. The command appears, but has no effect.

First, saying it's not much oversimplification and then relating it to Hollywood, which you admit is unrealistic oversimplified, seems contradictory.

Second, the better solution to neck breaking having no effect would be to make it have the proper effect, rather than just jumping to too far in the opposite direction.  You yourself suggested a much better representation of it, so I'm not even sure why your advocated neck breaking being instant death.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

Awesome But Impractical vs Boring But Practical. I don't doubt the realistic version is going to be more interesting, but can you imagine how long it'll take to implement? I addressed the issue in my Martial Arts mod for pre-31 by making the neck a nervous joint, but it doesn't work anymore, so it needs a code-side fix. Even then it wasn't instant death, but death by suffocation. I won't ask for more than making my fix workable, because the more complex solution won't be an option until hell knows when.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:48:34 pm »

Heh. My uncle fell off the parapets of a castle onto a shed below. Broke his neck, but survived and without even a crippling injury. Talk about a lucky break.

Edit: Wow! Just as I was leaving the suggestions section I realised how awesome that pun I just made was. Seriously though!.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:50:17 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:57:29 pm »

Awesome But Impractical vs Boring But Practical. I don't doubt the realistic version is going to be more interesting, but can you imagine how long it'll take to implement? I addressed the issue in my Martial Arts mod for pre-31 by making the neck a nervous joint, but it doesn't work anymore, so it needs a code-side fix. Even then it wasn't instant death, but death by suffocation. I won't ask for more than making my fix workable, because the more complex solution won't be an option until hell knows when.

This is Toady we're talking about here. Generally it's all or nothing when it comes to realism.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »

It would be nice if wrestling was more dangerous again, like it was in 40D.

I'm fine with no more dwarven jedi kung-fu masters, but wrestling should first attempt to pin an opponent. Once they're pinned go for the throat. No air = dead.

Obviously wrestlers will run into problems with undead creatures and constructs but thats fine.
Pages: [1] 2