Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Neck breaking should be an instant death  (Read 6957 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Neck breaking should be an instant death
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »

Also, pinned-down opponents should be realy easy to dispatch with a proper weapon (provided the second attacker doesn't hit the wretler)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »

I disagree about the wrestling. I reckon our dwarves would be breaking bones and stuff like that. More curb stomping, less pansy-ing around and holding hands (or arms or legs).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »

Wrestling should be deadly versus unarmored opponents and normal beasts, but should not be able to take on armored opponents 1v1 without first removing the armor or getting a buddy to smack him. Just sayin'
Sig to be updated momentarily.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »

Current DF implements spinal cord damage; I've had dwarves suffocate after breaking their necks (or having their necks broken for them).  Sometimes they survive despite a broken neck, but it does appear to be a pretty dangerous injury.  So... what's missing?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »

Wrestling should be deadly versus unarmored opponents and normal beasts, but should not be able to take on armored opponents 1v1 without first removing the armor or getting a buddy to smack him. Just sayin'

Many martial arts deal with that stuff. Normaly by using joint-locks and levers.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:03 am »

My understanding of the physics involved is that breaks are supposed to be a lot more damaging than they currently are, and a broken neck would probably disable the head (i.e. dead goblin storage) but due to some bugs it's not working as intended.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:43 am »

Also, pinned-down opponents should be realy easy to dispatch with a proper weapon (provided the second attacker doesn't hit the wretler)

Coup de grace?

Should be easier once Toady does the combat arc. Which is really all I'm waiting for.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:06 am »

Heph- You don't really think the dwarves are using some sort of fancy martial arts, do you? Maybe one of the REALLY blunt ones, but not anything like judo or akido- too sissy and elven and such.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:05:40 am »

Heph- You don't really think the dwarves are using some sort of fancy martial arts, do you? Maybe one of the REALLY blunt ones, but not anything like judo or akido- too sissy and elven and such.

So something like  Krav-maga? Since it's not about looking fancy and explicitly about how to inflict as much pain and damage on your opponent as possible in an efficient manner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »

It would be nice if wrestling was more dangerous again, like it was in 40D.

I'm fine with no more dwarven jedi kung-fu masters, but wrestling should first attempt to pin an opponent. Once they're pinned go for the throat. No air = dead.

Obviously wrestlers will run into problems with undead creatures and constructs but thats fine.
You should be able to actually throw creatures with super(Human, Dwarven, etc.) strength and a certain level in wrestling.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 [2]