Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Military System  (Read 3078 times)

sinister87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military System
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Ok, honestly I have no problems with the military system, it just takes time to learn about it. So could you people tell me what your problem is, cuz I'm not seeing it.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military System
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:26:06 pm »

Ok, my dwarves do not pick up equipment. Ever. At lower then 20 dwarves, they refuse and just keep training. At higher, the arsenal dwarf fails to come, and if he ever does, none of my military dwarves show up to grab equipment. Therefor, I have 14 legendary wrestlers that cant take a single ambush.

What is your answer, mistar sinistar... 87

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »

I have had the trouble you mentioned. My only trouble is marksdwarves. They fail at everything.

sinister87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:09:03 pm »

Ok, my dwarves do not pick up equipment. Ever. At lower then 20 dwarves, they refuse and just keep training. At higher, the arsenal dwarf fails to come, and if he ever does, none of my military dwarves show up to grab equipment. Therefor, I have 14 legendary wrestlers that cant take a single ambush.

How did you assign the weapons? Did you change your squads to Inactive? My dwarves only pick up their equipment when I give them an order.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:01 pm »

Arsenal dwarves are not nobles that migrate to your fort, you assign them.

I've had success training up legendary squads with top notch equipment that I had assigned.

I suppose people complain about the complexity, which just takes getting used to. There were also a number of bugs upon the initial release. Now, when you see someone complaining about how broken the military is, more often than not, the problem is that they just don't know how to use it but blame it on bugs.

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:21:53 am »

Assignment of Arsenal Dwarves doesn't always show up in the nobles screen.  Not at 20, not at 30, never, but only sometimes.  And thats assuming you have an expedition leader and the regular noble slots filled. 

Also, even after assigning equipment with arsenal dwarf (which makes things 100x better), I've still had dwarves drop equipment, or spend 100% of their time running around picking up equipment and then dropping it in useless places when they get tired.  This is as of .3, haven't tried yet in .4

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:25:21 am »

I suppose people complain about the complexity, which just takes getting used to. There were also a number of bugs upon the initial release. Now, when you see someone complaining about how broken the military is, more often than not, the problem is that they just don't know how to use it but blame it on bugs.

Actually the complexity is fine, and it has a lot of potential, but equipment pickup/assignment is buggy, uniforms are very broken, barracks are broken, and training is broken.  To assert that these aren't plagued by bugs is ridiculous.  The only way the system works now is with very careful workarounds to avoid known bugs, which doesn't count as 'working properly'
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Vulkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:28:00 am »

Assignment of Arsenal Dwarves doesn't always show up in the nobles screen.  Not at 20, not at 30, never, but only sometimes.  And thats assuming you have an expedition leader and the regular noble slots filled. 

Also, even after assigning equipment with arsenal dwarf (which makes things 100x better), I've still had dwarves drop equipment, or spend 100% of their time running around picking up equipment and then dropping it in useless places when they get tired.  This is as of .3, haven't tried yet in .4

THIS!

I activated a squad in order to attack an incoming goblin raid. What do they do? They go and drop ALL THEIR EQUIPMENT in the stockpile and charge the goblins naked.

Dwarves also seem to randomly drop equipment or place it in bins for no apparent reason, this seems to happen more often when you have many different kinds of equipment. It's retarded.

And then there are the times where the Dwarf is checked as having certain equipment in the military screen while said dwarf does in fact NOT.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:46 am »

I had a rather lengthy reply to you, zebra, but the connection cut out and I lost it. Dont feel like reposting, tl;dr, I know. I meant it doesnt show up on the nobles screen, ever after 20+ dwarves.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:28 am »

Actually the complexity is fine, and it has a lot of potential, but equipment pickup/assignment is buggy, uniforms are very broken, barracks are broken, and training is broken.  To assert that these aren't plagued by bugs is ridiculous.  The only way the system works now is with very careful workarounds to avoid known bugs, which doesn't count as 'working properly'

This. And I want to add the complete inconsistency of most bugs. Half my forts had some bug or other related to military, but few of these bugs were present in every game. I've seen militia dwarves doing nothing but hauling while others in the same squad were constantly doing individual training. I've had dwarves refusing to do any civilian work after being recruited while their brother-in-arms spent a decent amount of time gathering plants or pumping water/magma. The attack command seemed to work fine in 31.01, but failed everytime since I started playing 31.03. My militia commander sometime grabbed his equipment the moment it was available (with or without AD), but often "missed" a few pieces (single gauntlet?) and at other times completely ignored the available gear or switched from 1 sword to another for no freaking reasons (and messing with other dwarves trying to get equipment).

I almost wish military wasn't working AT ALL. Currently, I try to work around the bugs, but it gets old after a while.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:16 am »

EDIT: 31.04 is up, apparently I have the situational awareness of a dorf and everything I said might be obsolete. 

There were also a number of bugs upon the initial release. Now, when you see someone complaining about how broken the military is, more often than not, the problem is that they just don't know how to use it but blame it on bugs.

[31.03]I like the system but there are still alot of bugs. 

I'll have a squad standing at station, maybe 7 dwarves actually assigned to be duty with 6 actually there, then give an attack order and 3 will run back to the fortress for some reason, even without being tired or thirsty.  I have never gotten a dwarf to pick up a waterskin, only seen one pick up a backpack, yet when I make them and assign rations I see rotting food stacks in the communal housing.  Sometimes I assign a standard set of equipment without having armor for them yet.  A few squad members will go pick up every cloak they can find (which is good armor, btw), but they never stop even when they can't pick up anymore.  Crossbowdwarves just plain don't work.  Assigning a dwarf to the milita sometimes causes them to never do anything other then individual training.  Supposedly, people have extreme trouble trying to get sparring to work, even when training functions at all.  So yea, many bugs have been fixed but a whole bunch still haven't yet.  Once you figure it out its a powerful system that allows way more functionality with way less work, compared to 40d, but a good chunk of that functionality just doesn't work right yet.[/31.03]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:43:12 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:30 am »

Ugh, I currently have an early Guard (one of the starting seven) do the equipment dance with some Gloves, Hood and something else. kept dropping that which I just made for her. Other then that though, she is equipped with Flask and weapon so she is good for now. I hope...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 03:11:18 am »

My problems are threefold. One, the entire training thing seems sort of clunky and broken, making my squad unevenly trained [if at all]. Two, the sit there and train until they are starving and dehydrated, which may be lethal if I forget about them. Three, they seem so ineffectual now. My ten Competent Axedwarves in full iron armor sets get slaughtered by a half-dozen Troglodytes that escape without a scratch, which doesn't make me very happy as I had to jump the first two hurdles just to get them halfway combat-ready.

I don't know if there's more fixes on the way in these respects, but I certainly hope so. These days, I lose a lot of forts because I depend on traps and sealing mechanisms rather than a standing defense force, which I can't seem to wrap my head around the creation of.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:29 am »

1. Thats true. Same problem here.
2. This may be happening if you have orders for them set in the military menu. The default "train" order makes all of them train 24/7 - Lower it to about half the size of the squad. It will ensure they rotate between resting and training, usually.
3. Iron is near-useless. If you can, make steel (Iron + Flux + Coal), or even Bronze, if that's what your biome supplies. Silver can be used as a effective hammer, and the teal metal of armokness is effective as an armor.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:46:33 pm »

It's not that there aren't bugs. The thing is that often when I lend advice to someone who is having trouble with the "broken" military, the problem they're having isn't from bugs at all, but rather they don't know how to assign a barracks, haven't assigned an arsenal dwarf, don't understand the importance of the new material system, etc. User error and not game error per se.

But yet, they blame it on bugs unfairly which is kinda annoying.
Pages: [1] 2 3