Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Military System  (Read 3075 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military System
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:15 am »

have to update my last post, my squad of axe/hammer Dwafs actually managed to kill a small squad of Gobs. They were in leather armour and had copper bronze and silver weapons and no one died !  :o . I think its essential to have an arsenal dwarf as soon as possible so the squads get equipped properly (at all ?) and have some dwarfs which are permanently in the army.

I wish squads wouldn't train themselves into the ground though, they should at least drink and eat  ::). I have to keep toggling their Inactive state on the squad screen to give them a proper break, rather than let the schedule do it - seems the scheduled inactive time just means they don't train, they don't do anything else either.

@Ivar360 : Are the 2-Axe dwarfs also set to be woodcutters?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 08:25:58 am »

Adamantine armor is still amazing when you can get it. When I opened the HFS:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adamantine as always, is super impressive. I highly recommend it, just don't over do the mining. Greed can lead to fun.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 10:30:45 am »

[31.03] So far I haven't used schedules or alerts.  I just give my squads a barracks, mark it for training, and 90% of them will then do individual combat drills for the rest of their little dorf lives.  10% will refuse to train, so I take them out of a squad, free the barracks, and they eventually return to civilian life.  Freakin' conscientious objectors  :)   Freeing the barracks temporarily also gives your squads a chance to clean the goblin blood off after combat, and to move any clothes that they've dropped down to the cabinets in their bedrooms.  Of course, the downside of no schedules is no group teaching or learning, so I have hammer lords who are still novice dodgers and shield users.

Without alerts, I manually order my squads into position when danger threatens.  About half of the attack orders I've ever given have been abject failures, with dwarves running back to the weapon/armor stockpile to drop everything and then reshuffle their equipment.  So I've learned to just order the squads to move next to the target instead, where they hardly every drop things first.  Since dwarves attack anything they can see, this has the intended effect.  I'm hoping that as the arsenal dwarf gets more skilled the equipment-dance will finally be eliminated (I have him dual-tasked as my manager, so he's turning into a hardcore organizer).

I gave up on food in backpacks after an abandoned ration flooded the barracks with miasma, but they seem to be able to handle waterskins and booze ok (again, you need to free the barracks to let them go and fill their waterskins).

End result: I'm 3 years in and my first squad is level 14-20 in their chosen weapons, while the second squad is level 7-10. They've slaughtered three goblin ambushes, losing two big toes and getting one left arm cut up (stupid recruit ran out without his gauntlet).

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »

I just had a brain-wave, i'm going to build a barracks with a well, tables&chairs and a food stockpile in it. See if that alleviates the "Train till you drop" problem i'm having.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »

No that won't fix the problem. You have them scheduled and set to "Active/train", don't you? Turn them to inactive, or make sure they have at least 6 months of the year where they're not on active duty. Otherwise they will stay on their training schedule until they die.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:12 am »

i useually have 1 month on 1 month off but it doesn't seem to count, I cut-paste the inactive from the 1st 'page' and pste it onto the active page. They still never seem to stop training though, they just change into their civvies and carry on with 'personal' training. I will do some proper testing later, it might just be me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]