Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Nuclear Fusion Discovered  (Read 4988 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear Fusion Discovered
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:42 am »

also , Hydrogen Bombs are aready discovered in the cold war , 10 times stronger then a nuclear bomb

This will make me feel better when North Korea hits me with a nuclear bomb.

"Well, at least our bombs are stronger".
Unless you're squatting in new york, DC, London or any other major city you're basically fine.
Living around 12 miles away from DC, this doesn't make me feel better.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:03 am »

Ouch. The radiation is what will kill you.

I, on the other hand, am just out of range of underwear bombers. Please don't target the Ambassador Bridge.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:47 am »

also , Hydrogen Bombs are aready discovered in the cold war , 10 times stronger then a nuclear bomb

Unless you're squatting in new york, DC, London or any other major city you're basically fine.
You mean in South Korea, Japan, or in beachfront property in California? Assuming you're talking about being bombed by North Koreans, that is.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:09 am »

Seattle is the largest metropolitan area in the US in range of North Korea. Whee.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:25 am »

Living around 12 miles away from DC, this doesn't make me feel better.

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/16

Use that to see how dead you are. Maybe the radiation, but if you get tsar bomba'd then everything for about 15 miles is getting it's shit royally tore up.

You mean in South Korea, Japan, or in beachfront property in California? Assuming you're talking about being bombed by North Koreans, that is.

Nah, just in general.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19:29 am »

Seattle is around where Toady lives. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:27 am »

actually north Korea could just barely hit DC. Using a DF-31A ICBM.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2010, 03:39:12 am »

Man, where would we be without North Korea's amazing technological discoveries.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2010, 03:46:38 am »

They solved a great many scientific and technological problems entirely by their own efforts without the slightest hesitation and vacillation even under the conditions where everything was in short supply and there were a lot of difficulties

I haven't actually laughed out loud while reading something in a long, long time. Hoo boy.

Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

Ilon Man!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2010, 05:29:35 am »

If Nuclear Fusion is discovered, it's a big thing. Nobody has done it yet. In fact, the only place where anyone can testiment to it being done, is the sun. Nuclear Fusion is a way of releasing massive amounts of energy through fusing together atoms, in most cases, hydrogen. If it were ever developed, it'd be cheap, it'd be safer (technically), and it wouldn't have any gigantic evil after-products like plutonium. It'd have steam or some shit. Or helium or something. Whatever.

The things that most first world countries consider "old hat" is nuclear Fission. This releases massive amounts of energy by breaking down atoms, which is why radioactive or unstable atoms need to be used, because it's easier to induce fission. That's why we use enriched Uranium in our power plants. Fission. That's also why the plants have plutonium as a waste product, because it is no longer unstable enough to carry a proper reaction.

Someone already mentioned tokamaks, but seriously... where to begin.

If Nuclear Fusion is discovered, it's a big thing. Nobody has done it yet. In fact, the only place where anyone can testiment to it being done, is the sun.

Fusion has been produced in many different types of human-built reactors.

If it were ever developed, it'd be cheap, it'd be safer (technically), and it wouldn't have any gigantic evil after-products like plutonium. It'd have steam or some shit. Or helium or something. Whatever.

Fusion reactors tend to produce radioactive waste via the phenomenon of induced radioactivity.  Plutonium is also not particularly "gigantic" or "evil" compared to other types of radioactive waste.  Naturally occurring radon gas is much more common and dangerous.

This releases massive amounts of energy by breaking down atoms, which is why radioactive or unstable atoms need to be used, because it's easier to induce fission. That's why we use enriched Uranium in our power plants. Fission. That's also why the plants have plutonium as a waste product, because it is no longer unstable enough to carry a proper reaction.

Most of the plutonium in spent nuclear fuel is fissile and can be extracted as useful fuel via reprocessing.  This is done in France and Japan (and other countries?), although not in the US for political reasons (nuclear proliferation concerns).

Also, plutonium-239 is plenty radioactive compared to uranium-235.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2010, 06:25:17 am »

Why? Why must he searchfu?

I'll still claim that I'm right with everything. Otherwise I'd have to go thump my science professor.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 07:04:38 am »

actually north Korea could just barely hit DC. Using a DF-31A ICBM.

Which they don't have. DF-31A is a Chinese ICBM. The best the DPRK has available is the Taep’o-dong-2C/3. They're working on a 3-stage missile that might let them target the whole CONUS, but I wouldn't bank on it being ready for several years yet, and it would be untested at best if they were ever crazy enough to actually try using it. Probably would end up splashing down somewhere in the Pacific, and then North Korea would be a new Chinese province by the end of the day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:30 am »

Heh, ya, there was a North Korean missile test a while back; it basicly fell apart mid flight.

As for fusion, yes it has been experimented around with for decades, as stated above.

As for fusion bombs (H bombs), IIRC, they work by using both fission and fusion. The primary explosion is essentially a fission bomb; this serves to create the required conditions for fusion to begin. The secondary fusion explosion is what makes it so much more powerful than a normal nuclear bomb. And on a related note, fusion bombs are also known as thermonuclear bombs; the thermo part coming from the required temperatures the primary blast generates to create the powerful secondary explosion.

And finally, North Korea did test a fission bomb a few years back, but it was more or less agreed on that it was a big failure. IIRC, they figured that out based on the amount of radiation detected and the size of the explosion, and found it was more of a dirty bomb than a proper nuke.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:54:43 am by alway »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 10:05:24 am »

Yeah. It's not like fission bombs are even particularly hard to put together. Plutonium, unlike hydrogen, has a pretty reasonably critical mass. I bet Magnificent Leader Kim Jong Il used his psychic powers and stopped it from exploding properly, for he had seen a group of industrious beavers toiling near the testing ground, and didn't want them to come to harm. Then he shed a single tear for the tragedy that is capitalism and it cleaned up all the fallout.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2010, 10:24:27 am »

But those beavers are competing with the North Korean people, because sawdust is one of their four basic food group (along with dirt, grass and their own tears).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6