Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ballistas  (Read 2378 times)

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ballistas
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:38:47 pm »

Is there a way to mod ballistas to make them stronger? Increase the density of their bolts? Increase the velocity of the projectile? How would I go about doing these things?
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Ballistas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:42:42 pm »

Short answer, not directly the ballista or the ballista ammo. You would mod the material it is made out of. Most likely just the pointy end ;) So you could mod steel or bronze or w/e you make it out of to be much deadlier. MAX_EDGE would be a good start for making it much more deadly. MASS and DENSITY could be another good starting point.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »

Short answer, not directly the ballista or the ballista ammo. You would mod the material it is made out of. Most likely just the pointy end ;) So you could mod steel or bronze or w/e you make it out of to be much deadlier. MAX_EDGE would be a good start for making it much more deadly. MASS and DENSITY could be another good starting point.

So I would end up making all weapons of the chosen material more lethal? Is there not some way to adjust the speed at which ballista bolts fire? Does DF do some kind of f=ma thing for damage? There should be some way to do it.

Another idea; could one have a reaction at the siege workshop to make ballista bolts denser?

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:03 pm »

You could.... make a metal that you use specifically for ballista bolts (you'd have to use a reaction to get it).

There is no way that I know of to magically make say a steel ballista bolt more deadly through any ingame action.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:59:59 pm »

So I would end up making all weapons of the chosen material more lethal? Is there not some way to adjust the speed at which ballista bolts fire? Does DF do some kind of f=ma thing for damage? There should be some way to do it.
It's not possible.  A ballista is really just a vanilla hardcoded workshop.  All the normal workshops are hardcoded and uneditable.  The ballista ammo item is ridiculously simple, there's nothing to edit. 

Another idea; could one have a reaction at the siege workshop to make ballista bolts denser?
This is doable.  You could make a custom material that's not createable in any normal way (no ore of it anywhere or anything).  And then use a custom workshop to take, say a ballista arrow and a block of metal and output a new ballista head made out of your custom material.  In that way you could keep the material from being used for other weapons.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »

This is doable.  You could make a custom material that's not createable in any normal way (no ore of it anywhere or anything).  And then use a custom workshop to take, say a ballista arrow and a block of metal and output a new ballista head made out of your custom material.  In that way you could keep the material from being used for other weapons.

I will look at doing this then. Any tips on doing reactions?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

For the inorganic_metal...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the reaction_smelter...

For the entity_default...

Add the first spoiler to the inorganic_metal.txt
Add the second spoiler to the reaction_smelter.txt
Add the third spoiler to the entity_default.txt

-edit-

just did some slight edits.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:21:28 pm by Shaostoul »

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »

I do not know what most of those changes would do, to the steel that is. Could you explain how that will help?

Thanks.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »

I need to redo that post, my internet messed up... one sec.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:20:23 pm »

There ya go... hope that's easy enough to understand...

All that information that I used in that post I used from my guide by the way.

With the exception to the custom metal...

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »

There ya go... hope that's easy enough to understand...

All that information that I used in that post I used from my guide by the way.

With the exception to the custom metal...

Thanks, it will certainly be helpful, but what I was meaning to ask was what part of super steel makes it "super." Sorry if I am not exactly the clearest person.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:47:14 pm »

He made it a lot heavier
   [SOLID_DENSITY:15000]
   [LIQUID_DENSITY:10000]
   [MOLAR_MASS:100000]

and a lot sharper
   [MAX_EDGE:1000000]

and...increased its melting point..?  ;p
   [MELTING_POINT:30000]
   [BOILING_POINT:50000]

You might also want to double or triple these values (adamantine's values are 5000000)  This is the materials "hardness" when used in a blunt attack.
   [IMPACT_YIELD:1080000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:1080000]

Might want to up this too. This is the materials "hardness" when used in a edged attack.
   [SHEAR_YIELD:520000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:860000]

No one's really sure how siege damage is calculated.  It might be a blunt attack, it might be an edged attack, it might be its own thing, no one really knows for sure, it's too difficult to test.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:49:27 pm by derigo »

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »

If you don't know what changes seige ammo to make it more effective, shouldn't you also ramp up the torsion, compressive and tensile yields and fractures?

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:09 pm »

The comments toady left in the raws say those values aren't used for anything.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 07:01:13 pm »

I would like to say that was a quick post, if you want me to update it with the new values so all you have to do is copy and paste I'll do that. ;)

I also made it so you can make stuff like chains and other "soft" metal objects.

Pages: [1] 2