Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Geology is fascinating now  (Read 5026 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geology is fascinating now
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

DF 1.0 will probably start world generation with stellar and planetary formation. You'll get to watch as the planet cools and goes through 4 billion years of realistic geologic activity. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:09 pm »

DF 1.0 will probably start world generation with stellar and planetary formation. You'll get to watch as the planet cools and goes through 4 billion years of realistic geologic activity. :)

Hopefully it rejects the worlds that don't have breathable atmospheres!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

Hopefully it rejects the worlds that don't have breathable atmospheres!

I dunno, I think that would upset modders ;)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »

Error! The world generator is having trouble placing amoeba on your planet. Make sure you've included enough primordial soup tiles, radiation shielding electro-magnetic belts, and mysterious alien monoliths in your parameters to support life.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

Error! The world generator is having trouble placing amoeba on your planet. Make sure you've included enough primordial soup tiles, radiation shielding electro-magnetic belts, and mysterious alien monoliths in your parameters to support life.

Appropriately enough, SimEarth is one of the games DF most frequently reminds me of.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:45 am »

DF 1.0 = Spore 2.0 ?
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Khan FurSainty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 02:25:17 am »

DF 1.0 = Spore 2.0 ?

I hope not. Not after what Spore turned out to be.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 08:01:41 am »

Some examples:
Florida Canyon
Lone Tree
Hycroft

kinda reminds me of the mine in Red Faction...

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:19 am »

Indeed, geology suddenly became interesting thanks to DF.

Where I was born, mining for coal is one of the major industry branches (and landscape destruction factors). I never was interested in this, until DF. Now, I realize that I was born on a sedimentary biome. :P It even had sand! Well, loamy sand, more likely. But an aquifer as well!

And recently, I was talking with some people who had had a vacation in an area where the people were mining for iron ore for hundreds of years. All I was thinking was how apparently some hematite veins were touching the edges of that hill.

I find this effect of DF extremely interesting... turning someone who's very disinterested in geology into someone who actually enjoys applying DF "science" to real life.

Now all I need are some magma pipes and I can solve that issue of my home town with the poverty quarter up in the north...
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:11 am »

Some examples:
Florida Canyon
Lone Tree
Hycroft

kinda reminds me of the mine in Red Faction...

As part of my job I periodically have to go to a communications site that is in the middle of the Florida Cyn pit, and really pictures do not do justice to the scale of the pit.  The main roads in there are wide enough for 2 of these to pass beside each other.  When one is driving on the site you have to have a tall flag affixed to your vehicle and follow specific driving rules so the haul truck drivers don't squash you like a bug.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:05:20 am by gtmattz »

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:34 am »

Lord knows you'd dig into a cavern housing a slumbering elder god and your fortress would consume itself in blood and madness slightly faster than usual. If you're prepared to co-exist with your local being from a time-before-time just name your fort R'lyeh and brace for tentacle demons.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 10:43:38 am »

Those are all within an hour drive of where I live
Now I'm curious.
Seeing how interstate 80 runs across two of the maps, I think his home town is located near that one. Also, highway 18 is really close to the third place and ends/starts at the I80. Seeing there's a town really close to where those roads converge, my guess is gtmattz lives in Winnemucca, NV.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »

Those are all within an hour drive of where I live
Now I'm curious.
Seeing how interstate 80 runs across two of the maps, I think his home town is located near that one. Also, highway 18 is really close to the third place and ends/starts at the I80. Seeing there's a town really close to where those roads converge, my guess is gtmattz lives in Winnemucca, NV.

OH NO, Hes trying to steal my e-soul!  Next thing you know someone will be checking public records and crap and soon my street address and salary will be on here  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3