Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Geology is fascinating now  (Read 5032 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
Geology is fascinating now
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:04 am »

I've played DF for about 6 weeks now. I spent 4 hours at work reading wikipedia articles on iron, magnetite, hematite, metallurgy, mineralogy, and crystalline structure. Tomorrow: kimberlite pipes and sedimentary layer formation to start, and who knows where it leads from there! Anyone else prompted to explore these topics by this amazing game?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Geology is fascinating now
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:09:21 am »

I took Geology 101 in college as a science credit and was sorely disappointed when Dwarf Fortress came around and did not include hanging walls, foot walls, slip-strike, run, sills, dikes, necks, intrusions, extrusions, flows, pipes, karst, horst and graben, soluable and insoluable stone, realistic aquifiers, impermeable layers, placer deposits, metamorphic zones, so forth. Honestly, never finding a shale/schist/slate transition horizon with the appropriate garnets annoyed me.

This is totally not a troll. I am actually disappointed by DF geology's accuracy, and the addition of the cavern system may well render things quite difficult. Of course, Toady is a mathematician, not a geologist, and I did take geology specifically because it required no math beyond 9 > 5 = corundrum is harder than iron.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

I was a highschool dropout so i naturally have a thirst for knowledge (i guess thats natural?).
Ever since dorffort ive been noticing how geology works (or at least in uneducated theory). Ive been researching minerals, rocks etc. Ive even started identifying where different layers of rock are in my neighborhood, noticing that the local chalk cliffs are sheer drops on one side then the other is a natural decline (apparently thats because of the way chalk is pushed up out of the ground? I need to do abit more research).

I forget what im saying. But yeah dorffort has ignited within me a great interest in a field which i once thought was boring as fuck.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

I studied geology at uni, but didn't get a job in it and haven't really thought much about it until recently.

DF has got me re-reading various geology stuf (and also overlapping subjects, like steel making).

Also, I just modded the DF rock layer symbols to be more in line with the standard geological rock symbols (chapter 3 of this document: http://www.bgs.ac.uk/downloads/start.cfm?id=303)
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »

I was a highschool dropout so i naturally have a thirst for knowledge (i guess thats natural?).
Ever since dorffort ive been noticing how geology works (or at least in uneducated theory). Ive been researching minerals, rocks etc. Ive even started identifying where different layers of rock are in my neighborhood, noticing that the local chalk cliffs are sheer drops on one side then the other is a natural decline (apparently thats because of the way chalk is pushed up out of the ground? I need to do abit more research).

I forget what im saying. But yeah dorffort has ignited within me a great interest in a field which i once thought was boring as fuck.
I must admit my curiosity here: if you had a thirst for knowledge, why did you drop out of high school?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »

Lots of reasons curious people drop out. Sometimes they have to provide for their family, other times their rock band gets a record deal.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »

Lots of reasons curious people drop out. Sometimes they have to provide for their family, other times their rock band gets a record deal.
Ah, good point.

I kinda hate my high school. I took a class called "Metals I", thinking it would be about metallurgy and the chemical/molecular bonds of atoms in metals. But noooo, it was a class in spot-welding galvanized steel without a breath mask. Yeesh.

But yeah, I've always been fascinated by geology and such, but never knew what to research until DF came along!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:29:06 pm »

*Technically* I think DF models more of mineralogy than geology.  That is, it focuses more on the properties of the material, than on the layering and formation of said materials.  It makes an effort to get materials in the ballpark of the right place, but I don't think it focuses as much on how they got their.

I would love to see more interesting fault lines (and plate tectonics!), not just the "this is the edge of a region map tile, so funny things can happen here".

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:04:45 pm »

I am guessing that as time goes by toady will eventually add in some more realistic geological features, at least I sure hope he does.

I personally get a little sad every time I run into a kimberlite vein.  Every time I do I have images in my head of a mine like this, not a cheezy little vein here and there.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:05:49 pm »

I am guessing that as time goes by toady will eventually add in some more realistic geological features, at least I sure hope he does.

I personally get a little sad every time I run into a kimberlite vein.  Every time I do I have images in my head of a mine like this, not a cheezy little vein here and there.
Pretty sure that's a quarry, not a mine.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:17:59 pm »

Both actually, because a quarry is considered a type of mine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-pit_mining

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »

Both actually, because a quarry is considered a type of mine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-pit_mining
...touché. Point conceded.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 03:24:54 pm »

That is a diamond mine, mining out a kimberlite pipe.  Just do a little googling on diamond mines/kimberlite pipes and you will see that most of them look exactly like that.

As for that being a mine or not, well I live in an area which has the majority of its industry in gold mining, and the majority of those mines are of the 'open pit' variety like that mine pictured.

Some examples: 
Florida Canyon
Lone Tree
Hycroft

Those are all within an hour drive of where I live, and if you look around the map some you will likely see more.  I may have the names off, as there are so many mines around and I am personally not a miner, so I might get things mixed up ;P.

Some various images of other open pit mines: http://www.geomineinfo.com/mining_photos.htm

I am pretty sure that the actual definition of a quarry is a place where they are digging for actual stone, where a mine is where they are digging for minerals.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »

Those are all within an hour drive of where I live
Now I'm curious.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3