Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gem Windows  (Read 6707 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Windows
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 09:35:36 pm »

There is also an internal order to objects, based on what order they were created in. You don't see it much these days, but back in 2d days it was pretty obvious.

I'm pretty sure the multi-item building (eg bridges, roads) base material is still based on this order, and I'm guessing the gem windows are, too.

Yeah, they are. I'm just trying to figure out how to manipulate that order, because my dwarves seem to build it in whatever order they feel like. It's not random, but I can't figure out what influences their decisions.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:04 am »

To get them to grab in proper order, make three stockpiles for the gems you wish to use, one type per stockpile. Select one of each for each window, then forbid two of the stockpiles and unsuspend any windows that stop construction. Unforbid as each gem gets finished off in the order you want. With enough dwarves, this could even get them synched up.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 04:53:38 am »

The only thing that matters is what order the gems began their existence in.

In synch, first time, every time, until I ran out of yellow. (maybe I should have started with some decent miners 8-)

Now, you can (obviously, given the above) to some degree control the gem existence order- If you cut the gems in the order you want them, then they will have begun their new existence in the right order. But if you are buying cut gems, then the only thing you know is that the gems you cut after the traders arrive will be newer than the traders' gems, which will in turn be newer than gems that were cut before they arrived.

You can also build windows and check what order the gems in the windows are, to get a feel for which are newer (The list in [T] mode will be in creation order)

Note that the order that the dwarf fetches gems *does* correspond to the order in the window. But they will always fetch them in existence order, regardless of where they are and what order you pick them in.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:52 am »

Steps to ensure they grab the gems in the order you want:

1) Designate a burrow which encompasses where you want the gem windows and where your stockpiles are
2) Assign Urist McJeweler to this burrow and make sure only he has the GemSetting labour on in your fort.
3) Build a dummy lever hooked up to nothing next to where you want to build those windows
4) Designate 3 gem stockpiles with 0 bins, for each type of gem you want to lay out. Each stockpile is further away from the windows than the last
5) Once the gems are stockpiled, forbid all but 1 of each gem in them
6) Get Urist McJeweler to pull that dummy lever so he's starts his jobs from the right position
7) After confirming that Urist has the job to pull the lever, designate 1 gem window to be built
8) Watch Urist put together that one window
9) While he is fitting the last gem, unforbid another single gem from each stockpile and order the next window built
10) Repeat steps 8~9 until Urist goes off to eat/drink/sleep/whatever
11) Cancel any window designations and start again from step 6
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:24:56 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 07:54:47 am »

Fascinating. Guess I need to build a cathedral now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 09:00:39 am »

The only thing that matters is what order the gems began their existence in.

In synch, first time, every time, until I ran out of yellow. (maybe I should have started with some decent miners 8-)

Now, you can (obviously, given the above) to some degree control the gem existence order- If you cut the gems in the order you want them, then they will have begun their new existence in the right order. But if you are buying cut gems, then the only thing you know is that the gems you cut after the traders arrive will be newer than the traders' gems, which will in turn be newer than gems that were cut before they arrived.

You can also build windows and check what order the gems in the windows are, to get a feel for which are newer (The list in [T] mode will be in creation order)

Note that the order that the dwarf fetches gems *does* correspond to the order in the window. But they will always fetch them in existence order, regardless of where they are and what order you pick them in.

Well I should be able to do that... forbid all my existing gems, have my jewler cut more of what I need (in order), and then make the rest of the windows. Should work, right?

Do they grab the newest or the oldest first?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:10:00 am by RandomNumberGenerator »

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:29 am »

Given that the first 6 flash identically, it most likely is not random.

Dwarfs do mix gems in stockpiles, so two gems of the same type can end up at different distances.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:56 am »

YES! I got it to work!

kaypy was spot on. The gems are gathered based on which ones existed first, which then determined the order they flash in. By forbidding the old ones and cutting the new ones, I got then to all flash together:

Now I just need to finish my shrine to the goddess of gems and trade.

1) Designate a burrow which encompasses where you want the gem windows and where your stockpiles are
2) Assign Urist McJeweler to this burrow and make sure only he has the GemSetting labour on in your fort.
3) Build a dummy lever hooked up to nothing next to where you want to build those windows
4) Designate 3 gem stockpiles with 0 bins, for each type of gem you want to lay out. Each stockpile is further away from the windows than the last
6) Get Urist McJeweler to pull that dummy lever so he's starts his jobs from the right position
7) After confirming that Urist has the job to pull the lever, designate 1 gem window to be built
9) While he is fitting the last gem, unforbid another single gem from each stockpile and order the next window built

Thanks for your help, but this does not work. Dwarves will not begin construction on a gem window unless they can path to all the materials they need. I tried that earlier.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:03:18 am by RandomNumberGenerator »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:00 am »

-sigh-

Of course.

A gem window has been toppled by a giant desert scorpion.

Perhaps the one time I have ever savescummed. Thankfully I saved right after I finished building my windows... Now I need to find some way to protect them though.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:54 am »

-sigh-

Of course.

Perhaps the one time I have ever savescummed. Thankfully I saved right after I finished building my windows... Now I need to find some way to protect them though.

double channel out the land next to them?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:55 am »

-sigh-

Of course.

Yeah, that might work.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:19:19 am »

Sounds like the old uncutter mod might be useful then.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Yeah, that might work.

If you don't want to disturb the land underneath, but still want them protected and able to be seen through you can construct a wall around the windows and then carve fortifications.  But that might not be the visual look you're going for.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:06 pm »

Thanks for your help, but this does not work. Dwarves will not begin construction on a gem window unless they can path to all the materials they need. I tried that earlier.
The burrow encompasses the gem stockpiles too, that way the dwarves can path to everything they need within that burrow.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »

The burrow encompasses the gem stockpiles too, that way the dwarves can path to everything they need within that burrow.

Then that still doesn't work, because you can't control which gems then pick up first.
Pages: 1 [2] 3