Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gem Windows  (Read 6715 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Gem Windows
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

Is there anything that determines what order they shift color in, or is it random? I was wondering  because I'm currently building a catherdral/trade depot hybrid(to the goddess of trade, wealth and gems) with gem windows. The first six I built all used the same gems, and flashed teal-green-maroon. The next 4 used the same gems, but they're all different... one goes maroon-teal-green, another green-maroon teal, and two maroon-green-teal. I want them to look the same, but deconstructing and reconstructing them doesn't seem to help.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

Having never built a gem window,  I didn't know they flashed color at all.

I will be doing so now.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:06 pm »

Does it relate at all to the order in which the gems are designated for use in the window? I was thinking that's what determined the pattern.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:25 pm »

I think it was the order they were grabbed. When gathering specific items, dwarves will still gather the closest of those items first. For instance, if a dwarf was building a trade depot, and one stone is furthes away, that stone will be grabbed last.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:15:09 pm »

I think its just the order they were designated to be added, not the order that they were taken to the build site. also, FFH rocks!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:18:36 pm »

I think its just the order they were designated to be added, not the order that they were taken to the build site.

Agreed. And I imagine they flash in that order as well. Thus you can make all the crazy epileptic disco rooms you like.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:43 pm »

I think its just the order they were designated to be added, not the order that they were taken to the build site. also, FFH rocks!
No... I designated them in the same order each time. I think it might have to do with which one is grabbed first...

Maybe I should make a special stockpile for each gem type, one close, one a little further, and one even further and see if that works.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

You may want to put the first stockpile in the meeting area, as dwarves will grab what's closest to them, not the build site.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »

Well there is definitely some method to their madness, but I can not comprehend what it is. I created three stockpiles(one near the meeting hall and windows, one half a map away, and one on the edge of the map). I designated new windows to be constructed, in the order that I wanted the colors to flash. The dwarves made those windows, and they all flashed in order of themselves... but not of the existing windows. So now I had 12 that flashes one way, 8 that flashed another, and 0 that flashed one of the many other possible ways. I removed those 8, and replaced them, hopihn to get them to match, and now I have 13 that flash one way, 7 that flash another, and 0 that flash one of the many other possible ways. (One of the existing windows was rebuilt to match, the others kept their order).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:17 pm »

I think it starts with the last item the dwarf gets. I know that trade depots are the color of the last item the dwarf collects to build it.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:59 pm »

I think it starts with the last item the dwarf gets. I know that trade depots are the color of the last item the dwarf collects to build it.

No, the first item they grab will be the first color, the second item they grab is the second color, etc. I just can't figure out how to get them to grab the items in the right order.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »

Gem windows flash colors? Suddenly I want to build a dwarfputer just so I can have a panel of meaningless flashing lights hooked up to it...
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »

Have you considered that the time that the windows are constructed has some impact on their synchronization?  If it starts flashing halfway through the cycles of the others, then it would appear that the colors are in a different order...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:09 pm »

Have you considered that the time that the windows are constructed has some impact on their synchronization?  If it starts flashing halfway through the cycles of the others, then it would appear that the colors are in a different order...
No, it's definitely the order the gems are brought to the window. For starters, many of the windows were finished at different times, and they're too synchronized to do that, but if you 'T' over the windows(to see what items are in them) the ones in synchronization all go Red Grossular -> Chrysocollas -> Green Glass Gem, while the ones that aren't synchronized have a different order.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »

There is also an internal order to objects, based on what order they were created in. You don't see it much these days, but back in 2d days it was pretty obvious.

I'm pretty sure the multi-item building (eg bridges, roads) base material is still based on this order, and I'm guessing the gem windows are, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3