Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110509 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #825 on: July 02, 2010, 01:33:03 pm »

So they actually break the oil traps to get an explosive amount of output, but deprive themselves of the overall pressure needed to actually drain the trap? That's....damn that stupid, and greedy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:49 pm »

So they actually break the oil traps to get an explosive amount of output, but deprive themselves of the overall pressure needed to actually drain the trap? That's....damn that stupid, and greedy.

Exactly.  It's the same way West Texas was produced.  Most of the drilling we do out around Midland (where George W. Bush claims to be from) is akin to using a straw to slurp all the syrup out of a snow cone;  we're just trying to milk the last drops we can possible milk.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 02, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »

Exactly.  It's the same way West Texas was produced.  Most of the drilling we do out around Midland (where George W. Bush claims to be from) is akin to using a straw to slurp all the syrup out of a snow cone;  we're just trying to milk the last drops we can possible milk.

More like physics, plus some of the oil will just be inaccessable in various ways, it could be too deep (debateable though), the oil is getting trapped in small pockets that aren't economically viable to extract, or it gets thinned out in the deposits, or even gets dilluted to the point where it isn't economically viable.

Although you certainly know more about the oil industry than most of us here Nonsapient.

Now the estimate is down to four miniutes? That's not good news for the gulf, if the oil well is as rich as other estimates claim.
The U.S.A. passed peak oil a long time ago.  That's why we're looking at using tar sands (a net energy loss on the oil retrieved, if you don't include the energy used in producing our current transport infrastructure).

Not to mention massive ecological damage from the mining itself, making the negative cost even worse.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 02, 2010, 02:11:12 pm »

More like physics, plus some of the oil will just be inaccessable in various ways, it could be too deep (debateable though), the oil is getting trapped in small pockets that aren't economically viable to extract, or it gets thinned out in the deposits, or even gets dilluted to the point where it isn't economically viable.

Yeah.  There's just a lot of ways to increase current productivity at the risk of ruining long term,  by causing the above problems.  You can also get into horrid situations where zealously fracturing/drilling can cause an aquifer and oil reservoir to co-mingle.

Obviously you can never get ALL of the oil out,  in my example above I should have said 100 barrels of possible oil production.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »

Would that be before or after the government absolves them of liablity?
After. It'll be the absolvement, then the big internal investigation that ends with the official Tony Hayward resignation, then the capping of the dangerous well that has polluted the system so badly. I think the promises of change will occur after all that though, so that there will be less looking at the ineffectiveness of their planned changes.

That might change since there is talk of BP getting taken over by some other company, hopefully one that can cure its safety problems since whoever takes over BP wouldn't want to get another disaster on their hands. It's still an IF though I think since all the problems might render BP untouchable, but all the rigs and stuff owned by BP have to go somewhere.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #830 on: July 03, 2010, 03:14:15 am »

BP will probably take over another company so as to get the renown and respect for itself.

Would anyone be really surprised if Amacos started popping up again?
I'm pretty sure they own that right.

The general public will never even realize it.
Remember that case with the plane crash and the swamp alligators?
All of those planes were adopted by a sister company,
 repainted, and nobody thought twice.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 03, 2010, 03:26:56 am »

Did they crash again? If they didn't I'm cool with it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 03, 2010, 10:25:21 am »

BP will probably take over another company so as to get the renown and respect for itself.

No I don't, what plane crash and what alligators?

spikesp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 03, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

No I don't, what plane crash and what alligators?

did the pilot cancel fly : interupted by swamp alligator ?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 03, 2010, 10:52:47 pm »

I recall a plane crashed into a swamp, there were human corpses and alligators interacting. All very emotionally compelling I am sure, although I never really paid much attention so I wouldn't know what actually caused the crash...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 03, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »

Sounds like the ValuJet Flight crash.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #836 on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:45 am »

Issue with burning the oil:
FLAMING HURRICANES.

While they ARE the apocalypse, they also make a good drink.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 04, 2010, 02:52:09 am »

Sounds like the ValuJet Flight crash.

Why would anyone actually call an airline "ValuJet" anyway?  I mean, I fly SouthWest, who use Greyhound buses with wings, but even they're not shameless enough to call themselves BudgetAir or Save-Ways or something.  If you buy a ticket on ValuJet and it crashes, even into an alligator infested swamp, you have no right to complain; the risk was right there in front of you.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 04, 2010, 03:13:24 am »

ValuJet does sort of sound somewhat shady...

It' like a Days Inn my family was going to stay at on a trip home from Florida, where our room was in the back, we passed a guy who looked like halfway between drunk and stoned, saw more guys, suspected a drug deal, went to the manager, and were offered a room in the front.

Flaming Hurricane sounds like a mixed drink with Blair's 6AM in it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:04 am »

Oil spill Oil schmill.

It might be the End of the World (As We Know It (and I feel fine)).

Spoiler: Juiciest quote (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79