Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85427 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »

As much as I'd like to try this, based on my previous experiences with Gal Civ, I'm not sure I want to spend $50 on it. I know it's going to be cheaper down the road. I've played a lot of HoMM, and am not really dying for another go at it. I was hoping for something a lot more focused on the magic, and not so much the kingdoms, troops, heroes and stuff.

As an aside, like the God games...why is there no game, pretty much ever, that has made magic the focus of gameplay? Akin to what Oblivion and Morrowind let you do, but a whole game devoted to that, that focuses on large magic systems the player gets to manipulate. Sooo tired of the traditional magic model, that often doubles as the skill model in games, where there are 20 spells, 10 of which I'll ever get to use on one character.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:22 pm »

Nenjin, this game is going to give you the options to shape the world with your magic. Raise and lower mountains, create seas and all that stuff. I guess I know what you mean and I'd like to have a game like populous or something that focusses on magic, but I think this game might scratch that itch :)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

So how 'bout that War of Magic?  A lot of good stuff in that there War of Magic.
Elemental is the spiritual successor of Master of Magic, a much older game. Curiously enough, Age of Wonders was also the spiritual successor of Master of Magic. I wonder why the games seem similar?

For those of you that are familiar with Master of Magic and Elemental: War of Magic, just how 'spiritual successor' is the game?  I've fallen in love with Master of Magic, but it seems Elemental: War of Magic has some more 3D/adventure/RPG type aspects to it, based on the videos and screenshots.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »

I should remember that's an early beta, and I've yet to see their 3-d work. I'm all about sand-boxing. Still, I would like to see a game with a truly worked up magic system. I haven't seen what E:WoM offers....but so far it's one tab on the main screen, life and fallen magic, and a spell research tab.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Pathos

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

I have to say, their official forums are pretty damn dead.

Pathos

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 10:19:37 am »

I have to say, their official forums are pretty damn dead.

After this, this thread also died. Irony, your name is B12G.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 01:35:26 pm »

Sounds like within a month Beta 2 will be coming, and with it some actual gameplay! Not to mention the graphics engine.

One other thing to note, EVERYTHING will be easily mod-able. That includes AI. And the magic/tech/everything else systems. So if you don't like a system, you can fix it the way you want.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:38:55 pm by alway »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »

Bunch of new info the last few days from the devs. Got my first look at what Elemental will be like in 3d. They also demoed their map creation tools.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/383339 - Link to their news page.

I'm not terribly happy about the cell shading. It looks good, don't get me wrong, it's just never won me over as a graphical style. Things tend to pop way too much and lack true shading which makes it all look jarring. Stardock has done a nice job with theirs though.

On the map maker....holy balls that's got me excited! I luvs making maps for games and the Elemental Editor looks like it will be very thorough. For example, you will be able to create custom animations for tiles if you want, by assembling pieces in the editor that are already pre-built into a new tile package.

I may have to find the money to preorder this after all. If they don't meet their Aug. 24th release date (which I don't think they will) the second release date is the 2nd of February.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:50:04 pm by nenjin »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »

I really need to update my beta and play this again. I haven't touched it in months.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2010, 03:50:37 pm »

Well if you need someone to take it off your hands..... >.>

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

I've been following this rather distantly, as I didn't really enjoy GalCiv 2 all that much. Even with all the expansions. It just felt ... soulless, I guess. Definitely not Master of Orion material.

Which is why I'm not sure this is gonna be Master of Magic material. I'd love something like a modern Dominions 3 + MoM, though. Truly.

I'm just not willing to throw down $50 to have Brad Wardell sell me another "meh" game. I'll wait for some Bay 12 feedback on this Beta 2 phase before I even think about making a move.

Pathos

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 04:13:59 am »

When IS the next beta, anyhow? >:(

Pathos

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 04:28:46 am »

I hope the game doesn't have a North and South world wrap option. The games in Civ4 were made ridiculously odd by that, simply for the small fact that it made a god damn DOUGHNUT world when you used East-West. If it was North-North and South-South world wrap, I'd be fine with it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 04:33:16 am »

I hope the game doesn't have a North and South world wrap option. The games in Civ4 were made ridiculously odd by that, simply for the small fact that it made a god damn DOUGHNUT world when you used East-West. If it was North-North and South-South world wrap, I'd be fine with it.
Default for civ4 was no north/south wrap. In fact the default world in Civ4 was projected on a sphere which you saw if you zoomed out.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 09:36:49 am »

They said they're going to have a simultaneous turn-based system, same as x-com. With turn units. SQUUEEEEE!

Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:49:36 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69