Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: She was beautiful  (Read 3627 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
She was beautiful
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

The day I saw her was the most wonderful day of my life. She was beautiful, she was powerful, she was everything I ever wanted, but I did nothing. How could I, then? It wasn't an option but I still regret it to this day.

Sometimes I lie awake in bed thinking about her. If only she could be mine, if only. But I need your help, because I don't know what to do. I've never done this before and I know there are some people here with experience. Help me make her mine.

TL;DR I want to build a computer and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. Also I consider all computers female.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: She was beautiful
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »

• Wait until summer
  • Build identical rig to me and my buddies
  • *head enmglsplode*
  • Go into bankruptcy.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:26:48 pm »

That helps me so very, very much.

To clarify, what should I buy to get the best 'puter possible and where should I buy it?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:59:43 pm »

I've been told to go to Newegg.com by multiple people.  People I respect, people I trust.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »

Okay, If you're starting with nothing, you're going to need:
  • a CPU. This is probably the most important choice and you'll determine what kind of motherboard and RAM you need from this.
  • a motherboard. Compatible with the CPU.
  • RAM. Again, what kind depends on your motherboard.
  • a hard drive.
  • a CD/DVD drive.
  • probably a video card if you want to play any remotely new video games.
  • a case to put it all in. This will likely include a power supply but if it doesn't you need that too.
  • and of course mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc, etc.

As for shopping I recommend www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com because online shopping usually has the best prices. Compare everything.
There's tons more but this should give you something to think about.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:17:01 pm »

Oh God

That means I'm with My Best Friend's EX

(What is your general price range, and are you buying for now or later?)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »

Price range? Maybe three grand*, and yeah I'll be buying for later, towards the end of this year, most likely.

*very rough estimate.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »

Damn, that's a lot to put into a computer, that'll be more than my Honda Rebel I'm getting that I'll never shut up about.

With some assembly required, you can but the parts significantly cheaper than buying a pre-made set. Its been too many years since I've upgraded my personal system, but IBuyPower is one of the best for pre-made systems. You can get a medium-high performance computer for about $1,200 and they often have specials bringing it down to $1,000. You can use their suggestions to gauge how much more brand-name presets cost, and see if it's better to have the seperate parts shipped and putting it together yourself.

You may consider getting a computer that's $1,500 now, and putting a thousand dollars into it over the next three or four years, instead of buying a kickass $3,000 one that'll be good till the end of next year. My old 2Gb flash drive would have been almost over $80 when I got it, and now you can get 4Gbs for about $10-15 if you look hard enough. Deflating value is worse than cars and girlfriends
While talking to AJ:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 09:34:32 pm »

Well, I'll be honest with you, I didn't know how much was enough. I thought I'd be falling short. 1500 sounds like a very good amount.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »

Look at IBuyPower, and then at Alienware. If the difference is as bad as three years ago, you're paying about twice as much to have a silver alien head on it. The $1,000 computer that was on special was what a friend recently bought (it was literally US$998.95 Including shipping). It runs Dragon Age at full force, plays WoW raids with a full frame rate on high quality (I still cannot forgive him for playing that though), and plays DF very smoothly, though the new version is somewhat taxing after about 100 dwarves, and corresponding creatures (he slightly atones for the WoW).

And, naturally, get Windows 7. I know you're too good to think of getting Vista anyway. XP is fading out
While talking to AJ:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »

Of course.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 09:51:00 pm »

Also I consider all computers female.

I'd say you've got a problem right there. Why would you consider a computer female? A computer is your closest friend, your buddy, your partner, your wingman. A computer is like a guitar, a gun or a sword - in a way. Then again, these three things I mentioned are considered female by their owners quite often. But a computer... a computer is compleecated mechinerie. A computer is the manliest piece of personal equipment a man can own. Unless it's a MacBook or an Eee PC, of course...
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »

Depends on if you treat your computer like your drinking buddy or your soulmate. Mine if Friend-Zoned, she knows I want a gas-powered beauty
While talking to AJ:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:58:34 pm »

Also I consider all computers female.

I'd say you've got a problem right there. Why would you consider a computer female? A computer is your closest friend, your buddy, your partner, your wingman. A computer is like a guitar, a gun or a sword - in a way. Then again, these three things I mentioned are considered female by their owners quite often. But a computer... a computer is compleecated mechinerie. A computer is the manliest piece of personal equipment a man can own. Unless it's a MacBook or an Eee PC, of course...

Let me put it another way: for the purposes of a take that against the amount of relationship advice that pops up in this sub-forum, I consider all computers female.

EDIT: iBUYPOWER only ships to America and Canada? What the hell? Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:02:14 pm by Jackrabbit »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »

EDIT: iBUYPOWER only ships to America and Canada? What the hell? Am I missing something?

An intermediary person you trust in one of those two areas who would be willing to help ship to Australia.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3