Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Theft... $#!*  (Read 10697 times)

Pathos

Re: Theft... $#!*
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »

Because our house has no other nearby houses other than a ruined mobile home, recycling year old beer cans, and rusted metal doesn't sound like a good haul...

In semi-related news: anyone have a reccomendation for a new computer (preferably a laptop & under 1500$)?

Man, you guys really are prime for robbing. Also, lol @ your shotgun getting stolen. No offence, man, but that shit's funny.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 10:55:32 pm »

Because our house has no other nearby houses other than a ruined mobile home, recycling year old beer cans, and rusted metal doesn't sound like a good haul...

In semi-related news: anyone have a reccomendation for a new computer (preferably a laptop & under 1500$)?

Man, you guys really are prime for robbing. Also, lol @ your shotgun getting stolen. No offence, man, but that shit's funny.

Heh, no one was home  :P  at least the insurance will cover it

If i was home those crooks would have been taken away in an ambulance lacking hands, eyes, and alot of blood.

[EDIT:] Irony
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:15:14 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 11:44:09 pm »

Gateway laptops are decent gaming machines, their P-series run under $1500 and are one of the best values around for pre-built laptops.

In terms of guns, find something that fits you well - it's good to be impressive, but if your neighbors see you nailing empty cans one after another with a 9mm, that also works as a deterrent. In terms of defense, I prefer a .45 for a little more stopping power, but I'm sure you've compared, and ultimately it comes down to what works for you.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 02:45:14 am »

What about a massive steel door and fortification? Nothing like running into a figurative brick wall when breaking and entering.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 06:20:00 am »

Yeah, locks are completely useless. My house had a lot of them, and the robbers just kicked the door or crowbarred their way in. House had cameras, alarms, etc, but all those were useless too, because my dad forgot to turn them on for the one night that they broke in.

Police were also useless; didn't bother to call the cops. Security guards were even more fucking useless, I've got a strong suspicion that they knew my family was out on vacation because of the security guards.

One thing that did work very well was barring the door. Not putting a big bar over it, just moving something heavy behind it so that they couldn't open it from that angle. Unfortunately, we didn't bar all the doors.

I'd advise strongly against guns too. You won't be able to shoot someone when they're in the same room. Seriously, unless you're highly trained with it. You can shoot them while they're breaking down the door, before it breaks, and you have to be extra sure that it's not your brother or whoever leaving their keys out. Also, robbers tend to work in groups, so if you've had enough time to shoot one, instead of them robbing you, they'd beat you up, rape you, and kill you for hurting their friend.

My best friend once scared off some robbers with a machete. Not as helpful as a gun, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 07:58:17 am »

Gateway laptops are decent gaming machines, their P-series run under $1500 and are one of the best values around for pre-built laptops.

In terms of guns, find something that fits you well - it's good to be impressive, but if your neighbors see you nailing empty cans one after another with a 9mm, that also works as a deterrent. In terms of defense, I prefer a .45 for a little more stopping power, but I'm sure you've compared, and ultimately it comes down to what works for you.
Those gateway 'tops look pretty nice, and rather cheap from what thier insides looks like; but are large and rather bulky. I better start comparing chipsets, looks like my plan for an m15x may have a competitor.

Yeah, locks are completely useless. My house had a lot of them, and the robbers just kicked the door or crowbarred their way in. House had cameras, alarms, etc, but all those were useless too, because my dad forgot to turn them on for the one night that they broke in.

Police were also useless; didn't bother to call the cops. Security guards were even more fucking useless, I've got a strong suspicion that they knew my family was out on vacation because of the security guards.

One thing that did work very well was barring the door. Not putting a big bar over it, just moving something heavy behind it so that they couldn't open it from that angle. Unfortunately, we didn't bar all the doors.

I'd advise strongly against guns too. You won't be able to shoot someone when they're in the same room. Seriously, unless you're highly trained with it. You can shoot them while they're breaking down the door, before it breaks, and you have to be extra sure that it's not your brother or whoever leaving their keys out. Also, robbers tend to work in groups, so if you've had enough time to shoot one, instead of them robbing you, they'd beat you up, rape you, and kill you for hurting their friend.

My best friend once scared off some robbers with a machete. Not as helpful as a gun, though.

i noticed that locks where useless because they opened the one door in the house with steel reinforcement (steel plate to hold the hook latch).

Police are lazy, leave them to thier donuts

We did that (and we normally do), and hopefully it will keep any robbers away while i'm away.

Note taken, i would reach for a melee weapon first anyway preferably the one that hangs above my sleeping area.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 08:48:30 am »

What about a massive steel door and fortification? Nothing like running into a figurative brick wall when breaking and entering.
As someone who's knocked down more than my fair share of walls (working construction), I can say that brick walls aren't as big an obstacle as you may think. With a sledge hammer, I could make a hole big enough to crawl through in 15 minutes or so. Sure, it's kinda noisy, but not horribly noisy, so you can pull it off on isolated houses (like OP's house). If it's one of them stereotypical American light frame houses, you can break through a wall in 5 minutes, or saw through with an electric chainsaw in 10 (much less noise).

So yeah, you really should find someone to house-sit when you go away for extended periods of time. People are the best burglar deterrent.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 09:33:11 am »

I can't fire a shotgun (nearly dislocated my shoulder) so i have to go with a weapon with less recoil.

You probably were holding it wrong. However, maybe try a .20 instead of a .12, as it has less kick.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 09:48:06 am »

I can't fire a shotgun (nearly dislocated my shoulder) so i have to go with a weapon with less recoil.

You probably were holding it wrong. However, maybe try a .20 instead of a .12, as it has less kick.

Would holding it braced to the shoulder be considered the correct way? Bloody thing nearly knocked me flat on my ass.
— Commander Fleyitch

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:18 am »

Were you in a good stance? Something my dad taught me to do is lift up your front leg and start to fall before you fire, then put your foot back down.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

If you have a shotgun BE DAMN CAREFUL WHO YOU POINT IT AT. If you live alone it's fine, but much harm is caused by shotguns shooting people you dont want to hospitilize. Still nice to have a gun, though.
Hello Hunam

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:11 pm »

But did manage to make it off with a berretta (that spelled right?) 12g. shotgun which was our home defense, but will of course be replaced...

Did you even have it in a gun safe?

A rifle is just a bad idea. Its a long range weapon, and not useful at close range where its large size becomes a factor. Also depending on where you are located, its probably illegal as well. Automatic weapons have been illegal in the US since the 1930's, IIRC.

They're not illegal where i live, you can't turn on full auto without just cause and i believe home defense is just cause. The clip has to be limited (i think 5 rounds or less). I can't fire a shotgun (nearly dislocated my shoulder) so i have to go with a weapon with less recoil.

I'm guessing you live in Canada based on the 5 round limit.  You're not going to get an automatic AK for two reasons: fully automatic weapons are banned, and AK variants, even semiauto ones, are specifically banned.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:50:34 pm by Footkerchief »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 03:02:04 pm »

Sounds like you were hit by something more then common house burglars then. Locks are excelent for scaring off thiefs who take advantage of the situation, but by the looks of it, you were hit by a well-prepared gang. Against them, there's little you can do save for shooting them all they day before you go on vacation. Putting someone with a gun in your home might deter then, but if they're serious there's an equall chance of that guy getting shot and your home emptied anyway. They're not likely to waste a week of preperation because some punk with a gun is babysitting their painted target.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »

Locks aren't useless. You just have to attach it to a string and tie it around the trigger of your shotgun, which is situated neatly on a chair in front of the door. For convenience, stop using that door, just crawl out the window.

This will also keep the police from shooting your dog.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

It won't keep the dog from shooting the police though :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8